• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It is blatantly obvious that the marketplace has gone cold,just look at some of the current threads.The numbers are ridiculous,the look-see count has dropped tremendously. :(

Argue all you want fellas,I see what I see....

Care to give examples... hm

Jim

I, for one, don't think the split is a bad idea. I like not having to dig 3 pages to see everything. If I'm in the mood to browse all 3, then it's just the same as it was before anyway.

But, I do see a distinctly smaller number of watching and buying. :( I just hope sellers won't give up. I don't buy an awful lot, and don't sell much either, but I love to look.... and you never know when I'll pull the trigger. ;)

Personally, if there is a decrease in buying, and I'm not convinced there is for quality material, is the economic downturn has finally hit this Forum. People are not willing to overly spend on items today they were even two months ago.

I'll also add that some sellers are asking for premiums for even common material (in the scheme of things) hoping for an impulse buy that's not going to happen in this environment.

Also, the days for asking CGC prices for raw comics are numbered in my opinion...and thank goodness for that...

Jim

I, for one, don't think the split is a bad idea. I like not having to dig 3 pages to see everything. If I'm in the mood to browse all 3, then it's just the same as it was before anyway.

But, I do see a distinctly smaller number of watching and buying. :( I just hope sellers won't give up. I don't buy an awful lot, and don't sell much either, but I love to look.... and you never know when I'll pull the trigger. ;)

Personally, if there is a decrease in buying, and I'm convinced there is for quality material, is the economic downturn has finally hit this Forum. People are not willing to overly spend on items today they were even two months ago.

I'll also add that some sellers are asking for premiums for even common material (in the scheme of things) hoping for an impulse buy that's not going to happen in this environment.

Also, the days for asking CGC prices for raw comics are numbered in my opinion...and thank goodness for that...

Jim

+1

Personally, if there is a decrease in buying, and I'm not convinced there is for quality material, is the economic downturn has finally hit this Forum.

Reasons I'm buying less than before:

1) Fewer quality RAW books from 1971-74.

2) CGC Overload - when times are tough, sellers would rather blow out a $300 CGC book than 20x$15 raw comics.

3) Some prices are way out of whack. Like a CGC 9.4 at $500 when GPA average is $250 and GPA high is $325. I like profit as much as the next guy, but :screwy:

4) GPA prices on Raw comics - Next!

Personally, if there is a decrease in buying, and I'm not convinced there is for quality material, is the economic downturn has finally hit this Forum. People are not willing to overly spend on items today they were even two months ago.

That's definitely the case for me. work is slow, money is slower and purchsases are heartbreakingly slow :cry:

I would probably add around $1000 dollars worth of books a month to my collection 3 months ago, that's now down to below $200. There are definitely books I've had to pass up that I would have snapped up without a thought before Christmas. It's a shame as I've missed some very nice books, but when times get tight the kids come first, wife second and me last.

I'm pretty sure it's not just me who's had to slow down lately.

That's definitely the case for me. work is slow, money is slower and purchsases are heartbreakingly slow :cry:

I would probably add around $1000 dollars worth of books a month to my collection 3 months ago, that's now down to below $200. There are definitely books I've had to pass up that I would have snapped up without a thought before Christmas. It's a shame as I've missed some very nice books, but when times get tight the kids come first, wife second and me last.

I'm pretty sure it's not just me who's had to slow down lately.

+2

Hmm... I've gotten advice from more than one person about putting pics in my threads, even for the "utter junk" (when Greggy comes into one of my sales threads and says that, I know I have "made it" at this site.)

So, do pics make the sale?

-slym

6 votes, but no comments?

:baiting:

-slym (5-1 in favour of 'yes')

Common sense needs no comments

:flamed:

I don't think you'd need to go with scans, but at perhaps some front cover snapshots might help? :shrug: I know there are very few sellers whom I'll buy from sight unseen even if they are cheap books. Like Captain Planet (or GI Joe?) said, "knowing is half the battle!

I'm not a participant all that often, but isn't it sort of defeating the purpose of not continually bumping your own thread if you are adding 1 book every three hours for two days?

Just curious, and not directed toward anyone in particular. Carry on.

:popcorn:

The idea behind not bumping one's thread was to avoid doing so when one was not adding anything new to the list, etc. Granted, it's probably taking advantage of a loophole in the rules a bit, but it is still within the guidelines...

Hey, for 25¢ books, I wouldn't think it mattered, but turns out I am learning something here today.

;)

-slym (dreads scanning all that)

It's a lot of work scanning books. Try scanning a few so viewers can get an idea of your grading. Offer to scan books as requested on the others.

Quick question about the buyer experience on here with graded books.

Someone had listed two CGC 9.6 books, and one of the books had what appeared to be a very odd slant to the top of the book.

Before making an offer on both books, I sent a PM asking about this. The response I received from the seller was "The book is straight but for some reason the scan came out all crazy looking." He appeared to be a long-term seller that I've never noted a complaint about, so I took him at face-value.

After agreeing on an amount and paying within 10 minutes so as never to be a holdup, the books get shipped. That is my normal practice with anyone on here unless there is a very special circumstance.

The package arrives superbly protected, but upon removing the book I had a concern with there is definitely a very slanted cut to the book from the manufacturer that I was told "The book is straight." Then, being new CGC cases, the seller keeps the CGC bags rather than send them with the books.

Asking the seller what happened to the bags, his response is "Yeah the bags got miss placed sorry about that."

Am I wrong to be disappointed in this transaction where someone is not being up-front when asked about the cut of a book and then nickel-and-diming a quick-paying buyer by keeping the scratch-protectant bags?

I never do this to buyers, so I wanted to feel this out what the consensus is here.

Offer to scan books as requested on the others.

That is on my current sales thread now - but, I'm gonna snap pics of all the "lots" separately, and scan the individual issues. That will cut down on some work... now, to find another photo-host, as Image Shack gets a little screwy when you get near 200 pics in your account, and I'm in the high 180's right now.

Photobucket sound good?

-slym

Quick question about the buyer experience on here with graded books.

Someone had listed two CGC 9.6 books, and one of the books had what appeared to be a very odd slant to the top of the book.

Before making an offer on both books, I sent a PM asking about this. The response I received from the seller was "The book is straight but for some reason the scan came out all crazy looking." He appeared to be a long-term seller that I've never noted a complaint about, so I took him at face-value.

After agreeing on an amount and paying within 10 minutes so as never to be a holdup, the books get shipped. That is my normal practice with anyone on here unless there is a very special circumstance.

The package arrives superbly protected, but upon removing the book I had a concern with there is definitely a very slanted cut to the book from the manufacturer that I was told "The book is straight." Then, being new CGC cases, the seller keeps the CGC bags rather than send them with the books.

Asking the seller what happened to the bags, his response is "Yeah the bags got miss placed sorry about that."

Am I wrong to be disappointed in this transaction where someone is not being up-front when asked about the cut of a book and then nickel-and-diming a quick-paying buyer by keeping the scratch-protectant bags?

I never do this to buyers, so I wanted to feel this out what the consensus is here.

Bosco, i would ask for a refund and be very upset if it wasnt granted. You asked about it beforehand and if the seller wanted to have a smooth transaction he should have been upfront about it even if it is not bothersome to him/her.