• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The idea behind not bumping one's thread was to avoid doing so when one was not adding anything new to the list, etc. Granted, it's probably taking advantage of a loophole in the rules a bit, but it is still within the guidelines...

My point being, perhaps the guidelines should be modified.

Between the old friends bumping each other with "dude, nice books." and this tactic, maybe it should just be all bets are off.

Someone playing by the rules of creating a post and listing all of the books they want to sell at once, quickly disappears.

Other people get fifty :popcorn: , (shrug) , ???? bumps because they promise books are "coming" any minute. lol

Quick question about the buyer experience on here with graded books.

Someone had listed two CGC 9.6 books, and one of the books had what appeared to be a very odd slant to the top of the book.

Before making an offer on both books, I sent a PM asking about this. The response I received from the seller was "The book is straight but for some reason the scan came out all crazy looking." He appeared to be a long-term seller that I've never noted a complaint about, so I took him at face-value.

After agreeing on an amount and paying within 10 minutes so as never to be a holdup, the books get shipped. That is my normal practice with anyone on here unless there is a very special circumstance.

The package arrives superbly protected, but upon removing the book I had a concern with there is definitely a very slanted cut to the book from the manufacturer that I was told "The book is straight." Then, being new CGC cases, the seller keeps the CGC bags rather than send them with the books.

Asking the seller what happened to the bags, his response is "Yeah the bags got miss placed sorry about that."

Am I wrong to be disappointed in this transaction where someone is not being up-front when asked about the cut of a book and then nickel-and-diming a quick-paying buyer by keeping the scratch-protectant bags?

I never do this to buyers, so I wanted to feel this out what the consensus is here.

Bosco, i would ask for a refund and be very upset if it wasnt granted. You asked about it beforehand and if the seller wanted to have a smooth transaction he should have been upfront about it even if it is not bothersome to him/her.

I agree with this Bosco. Ask the seller for a refund.

Let me state one thing. People who are in favor of this new broken up sales threads state that its a lot more busy then it used to be. Looking at all the threads today, this is simply not true. Back in Feb, and early March there used to be 2-3 pages of items, for one day. I know because I was actively buying a lot, and selling as well. Since this change, I have not bought a single thing nor sold a single thing out of protest. I HATE this new format, things need to go back to the way they were. And I'm definately not alone in this. :sumo:

Ok, sorry for rantrant

Let me state one thing. People who are in favor of this new broken up sales threads state that its a lot more busy then it used to be. Looking at all the threads today, this is simply not true. Back in Feb, and early March there used to be 2-3 pages of items, for one day. I know because I was actively buying a lot, and selling as well. Since this change, I have not bought a single thing nor sold a single thing out of protest. I HATE this new format, things need to go back to the way they were. And I'm definately not alone in this. :sumo:

Ok, sorry for rantrant

I know a few sellers that have told me they same thing, they are not listing stuff out of protest... but I fail to see what they have to gain by this (shrug)

How can you actively stage a protest against something that used to free, but is now still free but changed somewhat.I mean it's not like there is any leverage as there is no real alternative for the boards. No costs at all, very large customer base with a very low deadbeat ratio and a working self-policing community.

I know there are quite a bunch of sellers out there that are dissatisfied with the changes, but I believe that boycotting their own sales is only hurting themselves.

I know there are quite a bunch of sellers out there that are dissatisfied with the changes, but I believe that boycotting their own sales is only hurting themselves.

I have to agree with this statement. CGC is not losing any money here like an eBay would, so why boycott? All it does is cuts down on the volume of activity on their servers - that's it. The same folks boycotting are most probably still engaging in the Comics General thread, so no loss of discussion activity.

(shrug)

Someone had listed two CGC 9.6 books, and one of the books had what appeared to be a very odd slant to the top of the book.

Before making an offer on both books, I sent a PM asking about this. The response I received from the seller was "The book is straight but for some reason the scan came out all crazy looking." He appeared to be a long-term seller that I've never noted a complaint about, so I took him at face-value.

After agreeing on an amount and paying within 10 minutes so as never to be a holdup, the books get shipped. That is my normal practice with anyone on here unless there is a very special circumstance.

The package arrives superbly protected, but upon removing the book I had a concern with there is definitely a very slanted cut to the book from the manufacturer that I was told "The book is straight." Then, being new CGC cases, the seller keeps the CGC bags rather than send them with the books.

Asking the seller what happened to the bags, his response is "Yeah the bags got miss placed sorry about that."

Am I wrong to be disappointed in this transaction where someone is not being up-front when asked about the cut of a book and then nickel-and-diming a quick-paying buyer by keeping the scratch-protectant bags?

I never do this to buyers, so I wanted to feel this out what the consensus is here.

Since you did inquire about the cut of the book the seller should give you a prompt refund. As for the bags... (shrug)

The idea behind not bumping one's thread was to avoid doing so when one was not adding anything new to the list, etc. Granted, it's probably taking advantage of a loophole in the rules a bit, but it is still within the guidelines...

My point being, perhaps the guidelines should be modified.

Between the old friends bumping each other with "dude, nice books." and this tactic, maybe it should just be all bets are off.

Someone playing by the rules of creating a post and listing all of the books they want to sell at once, quickly disappears.

Other people get fifty :popcorn: , (shrug) , ???? bumps because they promise books are "coming" any minute. lol

Nature of the beast I guess. I guess I get more bothered by people posting multiple sales threads which bump others' down--now that's definitely not playing by the rules. That, and fly by night sellers who come here to avoid the fees--something I think all of us can agree on disliking.

I know a few sellers that have told me they same thing, they are not listing stuff out of protest... but I fail to see what they have to gain by this (shrug)

How can you actively stage a protest against something that used to free, but is now still free but changed somewhat.I mean it's not like there is any leverage as there is no real alternative for the boards. No costs at all, very large customer base with a very low deadbeat ratio and a working self-policing community.

These are, I believe, very good points. Especially about this being a free selling forum.

Anyone here gets the opportunity to sell comics, sans fees, and are complaining (whining, there I said it) about a few changes. CGC could very easily shut down the selling forum and then all of us would be SOL.

Boycotts? Who is that hurting except the sellers themselves. :screwy:

Since you did inquire about the cut of the book the seller should give you a prompt refund. As for the bags... (shrug)

I guess the bags being removed were extra sauce on this rotten taco that left a bad taste overall.

Ok, sorry for rantrant

Well stated Chromer. I can't imagine a better place to buy and sell comics than here. If a seller boycots this site it won't hurt CGC.

OT.... I'm kinda glad there's been a slow down in early GA Bats and Supes. My wallet's taken something of a beating lately! lol

And I'd be shocked that I didn't buy more if more came out this weekend! :makepoint:

Post the book, Take 2

Post the book, Take 2

Ooh, yeah. Post the book. :popcorn:

Post the book, Take 2

Agreed. But I want to see what the hoopla is.

And Nick buy your bags from Hotflips. I use the CGC books as another form of protection now when I ship books, and use the HotFlips bags for my collection (they look a million times better)

Thanks for that tip back when Nik (thumbs u

Sorry guys, didn't come back to this thread until now. Let me get some groceries for cooking today and when I get back I'll post the original photo the seller had where he said it was "The book is straight but for some reason the scan came out all crazy looking" and then a straight-on what the book really looks like.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Where's Roy when we need him to do a dance as part of intermission? :insane:

And Nick buy your bags from Hotflips. I use the CGC books as another form of protection now when I ship books, and use the HotFlips bags for my collection (they look a million times better)

Thanks for the advice on the bags, as Brian (bghkoyama) to show me these recently, and I LOVED the look. Now I know where to buy them.

PM sent to Nik, DrWatson, and Resurrection with the details. I'd like your expert opinion if you would call that a straight book and tell someone this when asked.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Thanks for the advice on the bags, as Brian (bghkoyama) to show me these recently, and I LOVED the look. Now I know where to buy them.

PM sent to Nik, DrWatson, and Resurrection with the details. I'd like your expert opinion if you would call that a straight book and tell someone this when asked.

Fine, even tho i was the first to defend you, dont pm me.

Fine, even tho i was the first to defend you, dont pm me.

:sorry:

You're right. I'll share, but the seller saw the photos and now totally agreed the book is cut odd and said to send it back with shipping covered. Solid results!