• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I agree with you Bosco. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone in their own thread. I think a PM is the best way to go. I personally would have zero problem with someone sending a pm to question a grade on a book. People miss defects from time to time. What is a seriously over priced book. Guide? 3/4 Guide? 1/2 Guide? From time to time I think we've all seen some raw books for sale that that are priced retardedly(is that a word?) high. :pullhair: I'm in a mood right now. rantrant

Bringing a graded book on here for $250 that sells for $145, then takes it to eBay and gets - ready for this? - $122. Taaa daaaahhhh!

I'm in a mood too, but I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection. At least that goes away.

I seem to remember this conversation.

enlighten us.

No.. :sumo:

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive. I've already picked out the books intended to be offered before starting the threads. It takes time to respond to these posts that would be better spent addressing requests, scanning and pricing additional offerings, and providing information via p.m. to serious customers interested in listed books, and it clutters up the thread and makes it harder for customers to find books.

Am I over-reacting?

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive. I've already picked out the books intended to be offered before starting the threads. It takes time to respond to these posts that would be better spent addressing requests, scanning and pricing additional offerings, and providing information via p.m. to serious customers interested in listed books, and it clutters up the thread and makes it harder for customers to find books.

Am I over-reacting?

Yes

BTW, any Thor 158s? :baiting:

Seriously, only being on here a short while, you can tell many people are comfortable with each other. So they get used to asking for books they know that person collects. I wouldn't be surprised this bleeds over to other people's threads and they don't realize it is just the nature of the forum.

Know what I mean?

Edited by Bosco685

Am I over-reacting?

Yes

Have you tried finding a particular book in one of my sales threads, from among a slew of posts that ask whether particular titles or issues will be for sale? Have you waited for a reply to a p.m. asking for a back cover scan or a detailed description of the flaws of a couple of listed books, so that I could respond to these unwanted posts in the sales thread? Have you gone through one of my registry sets, picked out some of the books you'd like to own, and then posted a request in my sales thread that these books be made available?

Have you tried finding a particular book in one of my sales threads, from among a slew of posts that ask whether particular titles or issues will be for sale?

Read above. I modified quickly as I wanted to explain further rather than be curt with you.

Am I over-reacting?

I've never understood why people don't use the PM function of they want to know if you have more/other stuff for sale... (shrug)

Have you gone through one of my registry sets, picked out some of the books you'd like to own, and then posted a request in my sales thread that these books be made available?

Seriously? someone went through your CGC registry and then started asking that you post the book they want?

Okay, no, that is not the right thing to do. I would have PM'd someone about that - not in the sales thread.

Have you gone through one of my registry sets, picked out some of the books you'd like to own, and then posted a request in my sales thread that these books be made available?

Seriously? someone went through your CGC registry and then started asking that you post the book they want?

Okay, no, that is not the right thing to do. I would have PM'd someone about that - not in the sales thread.

So you think it's perfectly fine to find a book you'd like to own in somebody's registry set and send them a p.m. asking if they'll sell it to you?

And if your answer is yes, does your opinion change if you've got hundreds upon hundreds of books posted in the registry, and have to field these PMs at an unwanted frequency?

So you think it's perfectly fine to find a book you'd like to own in somebody's registry set and send them a p.m. asking if they'll sell it to you?

And if your answer is yes, does your opinion change if you've got hundreds upon hundreds of books posted in the registry, and have to field these PMs at an unwanted frequency?

Change your registry name so it doesn't match your forum name, and don't advertise it.

Bob...it is a pain to find the books through the endless chaff. But it's not only people asking you for books...it's the same when people throw up the (thumbs u hm:cloud9: or wishing you luck on the sales. It looks all the same to me...

As far as getting PMs or posts about registry books...

I'd be annoyed but on the other hand, that's sometimes the price you pay for making your collection public...

Jim

Change your registry name so it doesn't match your forum name, and don't advertise it.

You didn't answer either question. :baiting:

You didn't answer either question. :baiting:

OUCH! Quit poking me. lol

1) I never do this, so my answer would be NO.

2) NA since 1) is NO.

Is it tempting when folks show their books in the "Just back from CGC" or "Just added to your collection" threads? Sure it is, but I figure if a person is going to sell it, they would mention it like many do in those threads.

That the answers you wanted? (shrug)

We could line them up for a special haircut.

guillotine.gif

Edited by Bosco685

"..Perhaps once these 4 pages worth of slabs are sold..."

Any chance you might be posting any of them for sale? (As you previously mentioned you might be putting up some additional FF's for sale.)

No chance I'll be selling the FFs you mentioned. Yours is the fourth post in this sales thread requesting specific books and/or titles. They don't do any good, as I've already selected the issues and titles that will be put on sale. They do, however, clutter the sales thread, making it harder for prospective customers to look through the offerings and find the books they're interested in.

I have 5 pages worth of high grade slabs available from multiple titles. Plus a Hulk 181 in cgc 9.6 in another thread. I'll add one or two more books tonight. These are the books I want to sell. I understand completely if you're not interested in any of them.

Bob, your arrogant response was completely uncalled for. You did just as much to lead people in to thinking you might post books of interest them as they did in derailing your thread by asking for them. Accusing the poster of cluttering or derailing you thread over a few request? Man, that's rich. I'm sure you don't feel as negative toward the people posting accolades and praise even though they aren't buying.

Your act as if you're doing everyone a favor by listing your books for sale here. Wrong - some folks are doing you a favor by purchasing a book or two on a sight where you have to pay no fees at all.

Really, the number of people around here that are just to cool for thier own good has just gotten ridiculous.

Edited by MCMiles

Any chance you might be posting any of them for sale? (As you previously mentioned you might be putting up some additional FF's for sale.)

No chance I'll be selling the FFs you mentioned. Yours is the fourth post in this sales thread requesting specific books and/or titles. They don't do any good, as I've already selected the issues and titles that will be put on sale. They do, however, clutter the sales thread, making it harder for prospective customers to look through the offerings and find the books they're interested in.

I have 5 pages worth of high grade slabs available from multiple titles. Plus a Hulk 181 in cgc 9.6 in another thread. I'll add one or two more books tonight. These are the books I want to sell. I understand completely if you're not interested in any of them.

Bob, your arrogant response was completely uncalled for. You did just as much to lead people in to thinking you might post books of interest them as they did in derailing your thread by asking for them. Accusing the poster of cluttering or derailing you thread over a few request? Man, that's rich. I'm sure you don't feel as negative toward the people posting accolades and praise even thought they aren't buying.

Your act as if you're doing everyone a favor by listing your books for sale here. Wrong - some folks are doing you a favor by purchasing a book or two on a sight where you have to pay no fees at all.

Really, the number of people around here that are just to cool for thier own around here has just gotten ridiculous.

Your points would be well taken, Mike, if I had actually led people into thinking I might post books of interest to them. Instead, I made clear in my current sales thread, as I have done on several prior occasions, that the books I intend to list have been pre-selected, the books listed are the ones I want to sell, and the requests for other books only serve to clutter the sales thread and detract from the business of buying and selling the books being listed.

"..Perhaps once these 4 pages worth of slabs are sold..." That's precisely what I meant by this. There are 4 pages of slabs posted already for sale. If it's for sale, it's posted. If it's not posted, it's not for sale. Only once these posted books are sold will it be the time to consider selling still more books. I'm not a comic dealer looking to sell my entire inventory, but rather I'm a collector and only a small fraction of the books in my collection are intended for sale.

As for those posting accolades and praise? I've posted on this issue before as well - sales threads generally don't need them either. What sales threads need is sellers, books, and prospective buyers.

Finally, as to your comment that "some folks are doing you a favor by purchasing a book or two on a sight [sic] where you have to pay no fees at all" - I couldn't agree more, and you'd know this had you ever purchased a book from me.

Bob, your arrogant response was completely uncalled for. You did just as much to lead people in to thinking you might post books of interest them as they did in derailing your thread by asking for them. Accusing the poster of cluttering or derailing you thread over a few request? Man, that's rich. I'm sure you don't feel as negative toward the people posting accolades and praise even thought they aren't buying.

Really, the number of people around here that are just to cool for their own around here has just gotten ridiculous.

I'm sure many would agree with that statement.

Am I over-reacting?

Depends.

If the threads title is STRANGE TALES for sale and the seller is listing a lot of issues say; 104 106 108 109 etc... and I don't need any until 127 I don't see a problem with asking: "Got a nice 127 and issues above?" to see if I should wait the half hour it will take for him to get to that issue or go to sleep instead.

However if it's a Strange Tales sale thread and somebody asks if there's an X-Men 50 coming they are a dork.

Bob, your arrogant response was completely uncalled for. You did just as much to lead people in to thinking you might post books of interest them as they did in derailing your thread by asking for them. Accusing the poster of cluttering or derailing you thread over a few request? Man, that's rich. I'm sure you don't feel as negative toward the people posting accolades and praise even though they aren't buying.

Really, the number of people around here that are just to cool for thier own good has just gotten ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. People can act anyway they want, it's a message board. But the comments made to a newbie just seemed like you were picking a fight with the new kid sitting in the corner of the room by himself. Very doubtful if the same condescending attitude would have been used with a board regular. Obviously he hit a sore spot with you, but still really uncalled for.

hm If you can take the time to list specific titles for sale in a thread and you don't want people asking for specific issue #'s because it clutters up your thread, wouldn't it then make sense to take the little bit of extra time it would take to list the issue #'s for sale also?? (shrug)