• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

hm If you can take the time to list specific titles for sale in a thread and you don't want people asking for specific issue #'s because it clutters up your thread, wouldn't it then make sense to take the little bit of extra time it would take to list the issue #'s for sale also?? (shrug)

I had hoped that by posting the titles coming up for sale, I'd preempt requests. (shrug)

People can act anyway they want, it's a message board. But the comments made to a newbie just seemed like you were picking a fight with the new kid sitting in the corner of the room by himself. Very doubtful if the same condescending attitude would have been used with a board regular. Obviously he hit a sore spot with you, but still really uncalled for.

He's not a newbie to me. I've fielded multiple series of unsolicited PMs from him periodically over the past two years telling me he wants to buy books of mine. The most recent one came yesterday and, like all the others, was politely declined.

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive. I've already picked out the books intended to be offered before starting the threads. It takes time to respond to these posts that would be better spent addressing requests, scanning and pricing additional offerings, and providing information via p.m. to serious customers interested in listed books, and it clutters up the thread and makes it harder for customers to find books.

Am I over-reacting?

I do find it disruptive and, at times, pretty annoying. It can be a hassle juggling all of those things at once, and sometimes I just want to tell the person to shut the hell up.

Then I remember that 1) the customer is always right 2) I have zero overhead selling here 3) forumites essentially put me through grad school and 4) I am thankful that people even take the time to look through my threads, let alone purchase something. After doing this I make an effort to reply to every PM and post, even if it's just with a "no, sorry". Selling here is a privilege, and the minor annoyances are far outweighed by the good stuff...and should probably be ignored most of the time.

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive.

Join the club, and to me, it's like these guys are using a high-traffic sales thread to pimp their WTB list. Pretty blatant, and in some cases, I've seen other sellers post that they have the book in question.

You can't teach good forum manners.

Bob, I understand your mindset on this matter. Sometimes I find it a little disruptive just reading a sales thread with all the additional chatter.

However, if you ever experienced posting a sales thread with absolutely no responses, no 'nice book', 'wish I could afford it', nothing, I believe this hurts more.

Regarding inquiries on my registry, I am honestly flattered. You have great books, people want your books, say 'thanks but no' and enjoy it !!!!

People can act anyway they want, it's a message board. But the comments made to a newbie just seemed like you were picking a fight with the new kid sitting in the corner of the room by himself. Very doubtful if the same condescending attitude would have been used with a board regular. Obviously he hit a sore spot with you, but still really uncalled for.

He's not a newbie to me. I've fielded multiple series of unsolicited PMs from him periodically over the past two years telling me he wants to buy books of mine. The most recent one came yesterday and, like all the others, was politely declined.

Alright, that does change things imo. I can certainly understand the outburst a little more now, if you already had a history & considered him somewhat a pest. That said, I think most sellers would much prefer people requesting books rather than much of the annoying chatter/icons that run through threads. Many actually ask for requests after a few pages of light traffic.

Bob, I understand your mindset on this matter. Sometimes I find it a little disruptive just reading a sales thread with all the additional chatter.

However, if you ever experienced posting a sales thread with absolutely no responses, no 'nice book', 'wish I could afford it', nothing, I believe this hurts more.

Regarding inquiries on my registry, I am honestly flattered. You have great books, people want your books, say 'thanks but no' and enjoy it !!!!

totally agree - i would much rather have some chatter and questions on my sales threads than crickets chirping...

not too mention the free bumps!

Edited by Comixcroz

Have you gone through one of my registry sets, picked out some of the books you'd like to own, and then posted a request in my sales thread that these books be made available?

Seriously? someone went through your CGC registry and then started asking that you post the book they want?

Okay, no, that is not the right thing to do. I would have PM'd someone about that - not in the sales thread.

So you think it's perfectly fine to find a book you'd like to own in somebody's registry set and send them a p.m. asking if they'll sell it to you?

And if your answer is yes, does your opinion change if you've got hundreds upon hundreds of books posted in the registry, and have to field these PMs at an unwanted frequency?

I have done it. I have done it to you. You told me if/when the books would be available.I could tell you were a little aggravated but really felt as if i had done nothing wrong at all. I thought that was whole point of the registry. I followed your posts and when they were posted I bought them and more. Im sorry if i added to unwanted traffic like this, but i actually like being contacted about my registry for w/e reason. I can see how it would be a problem with so many books registered. :foryou:

Join the club, and to me, it's like these guys are using a high-traffic sales thread to pimp their WTB list. Pretty blatant, and in some cases, I've seen other sellers post that they have the book in question.

lol

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was funny! lol

Have you gone through one of my registry sets, picked out some of the books you'd like to own, and then posted a request in my sales thread that these books be made available?

Seriously? someone went through your CGC registry and then started asking that you post the book they want?

Okay, no, that is not the right thing to do. I would have PM'd someone about that - not in the sales thread.

So you think it's perfectly fine to find a book you'd like to own in somebody's registry set and send them a p.m. asking if they'll sell it to you?

And if your answer is yes, does your opinion change if you've got hundreds upon hundreds of books posted in the registry, and have to field these PMs at an unwanted frequency?

I have done it. I have done it to you. You told me if/when the books would be available.I could tell you were a little aggravated but really felt as if i had done nothing wrong at all. I thought that was whole point of the registry. I followed your posts and when they were posted I bought them and more. Im sorry if i added to unwanted traffic like this, but i actually like being contacted about my registry for w/e reason. I can see how it would be a problem with so many books registered. :foryou:

Ok, so ive contacted many people about books in their registry. Ive contacted people about rumors and things they have eluded to in posts. Ive sent messages thru the registry itself. Since Bob has said something ive been feeling really bad about it all and ive contacted several of the people ive contacted in the past and asked for their honest opinion of me doing this sort of thing. All of them have said that they had no problem with me contacting them in this manner. Is there anyone besides Bob who thinks this type of action is unacceptable. You can pm me or discuss here.

Guest Grails

I have sent messages through the registry and some of them resulted in sales and trades of books that the owners were not selling. Some of my messages were not returned for whatever reason and I didn't bother them again. There is an option in the registry preferences to turn off User emails if you're not down with that.

Ok, so ive contacted many people about books in their registry. Ive contacted people about rumors and things they have eluded to in posts. Ive sent messages thru the registry itself. Since Bob has said something ive been feeling really bad about it all and ive contacted several of the people ive contacted in the past and asked for their honest opinion of me doing this sort of thing. All of them have said that they had no problem with me contacting them in this manner. Is there anyone besides Bob who thinks this type of action is unacceptable. You can pm me or discuss here.

Well, I've never minded your PMs other than this one of you with the blow-up Hulk by the pool. That's a fan taking it to the extreme.

hulk-pool-10.jpg

- Green has contacted me about something in my registry. I declined and told him I would offer it to him first if I ever decided to sell. In summary, it was a pleasant, short exchange, no badgering or begging from Green, no problem here !

- Bob, I can tell you are proud of your books (rightfully so). You are always

showing scans in the various threads. It is possible this may add to the fervor with inquiries on your books. The Boards sees your books, they want your books.

Personally, I would be flattered. Life is good !!!

- Green has contacted me about something in my registry. I declined and told him I would offer it to him first if I ever decided to sell. In summary, it was a pleasant, short exchange, no badgering or begging from Green, no problem here !

- Bob, I can tell you are proud of your books (rightfully so). You are always

showing scans in the various threads. It is possible this may add to the fervor with inquiries on your books. The Boards sees your books, they want your books.

Personally, I would be flattered. Life is good !!!

My original post in this thread was in regard to requests that certain books and titles be offered within sales threads. PMs are a different story, and for me it all depends on the context. If it's a first enquiry from another fan of a particular title, it can be enjoyable to chat about our respective books and interests and share stories of acquisitions, want lists, etc.

On the other hand, repeated solicitations to provide a sale price for a registry book that isn't for sale is something I don't appreciate.

Make a list of books to be offered in the sales thread. If you make the "if these sell, I may list more" eludes that you have other books you would like to sell, and will lead to inquiries. If the books you are offering for sale are not interesting buyers, than why NOT give a list with prices of other available books. And ask that any interest in THOSE books should be taken to PM's.

If you dont want people asking about registry books, obscure the sets so they are private. No more questions, and no more peeking.

But to be rude to people asking about books is ridiculous IMO. Be happy when people are interested in buying them, I am sure you would much MORE bitter if they didnt ever sell.

And Bob, you know I like you alot. But you have been very short with me in the past as well. And I did find it a bit upsetting that someone I have spoken with, and had some good conversation could not be bothered to give more than a one word answer.

Make a list of books to be offered in the sales thread. If you make the "if these sell, I may list more" eludes that you have other books you would like to sell, and will lead to inquiries. If the books you are offering for sale are not interesting buyers, than why NOT give a list with prices of other available books. And ask that any interest in THOSE books should be taken to PM's.

If you dont want people asking about registry books, obscure the sets so they are private. No more questions, and no more peeking.

But to be rude to people asking about books is ridiculous IMO. Be happy when people are interested in buying them, I am sure you would much MORE bitter if they didnt ever sell.

And Bob, you know I like you alot. But you have been very short with me in the past as well. And I did find it a bit upsetting that someone I have spoken with, and had some good conversation could not be bothered to give more than a one word answer.

I don't find questions or graemlin posts in a sales thread to be a problem. As a buyer I quickly scroll to the next scan. No fuss no muss. As a seller I appreciate any interest and want every pair of eyes on board.

Bob, we all know you have great books and you've got to expect questions and requests to sell them, it goes with the territory. Hollywood stars put up with tons of attention, it goes with the territory. If I had a ginormous man thrasher I would expect lots of requests, it goes with the territory.

Bottom line, the guy you were fighting with, who does buy expensive items, probably won't buy your books and you may drive away other potential buyers. You can do anything you want in your sales threads but why not be polite about it?

I have to agree with Pat and Dave.

If you are going to display quality books and make it easy to get to your registry, it's the nature of the beast folks are going to inquire about selling.

Take heed of the advice, as only you can change the situation. Collectors are not going to change it for you.

And stop being short with folks, or I'm reporting you to the North Pole Naughty Police (NPNP), Los Angeles Division.

NPNP_LA.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

[i thought that was whole point of the registry.

So you actually thought the whole point of the CGC Registry was as a massive sales database for online stalkers?

Seriously?

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was funny! lol

What's so humorous? I don't post emoticons in sales threads, write incessant "great deal!" or "if I didn't just buy the Mona Lisa, I'd be all over this..." stupidity. post personal want lists, slam grades/prices within the thread, or sell books in someone else's thread, and I make an attempt to remain professional in any true sales thread that adheres to the posted guidelines.

Remember, we are talking about the FORUM-ONLY SELLING AREA here. :makepoint: