• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive.

Join the club, and to me, it's like these guys are using a high-traffic sales thread to pimp their WTB list. Pretty blatant, and in some cases, I've seen other sellers post that they have the book in question.

You can't teach good forum manners.

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was funny! lol

What's so humorous? I don't post emoticons in sales threads, write incessant "great deal!" or "if I didn't just buy the Mona Lisa, I'd be all over this..." stupidity. post personal want lists, slam grades/prices within the thread, or sell books in someone else's thread, and I make an attempt to remain professional in any true sales thread that adheres to the posted guidelines.

Remember, we are talking about the FORUM-ONLY SELLING AREA here. :makepoint:

You're one of a kind, Joe. :makepoint:

Laugh all you want, and I do get the idiotic attempt at humor, but I look at the other forums as CONVERSATIONAL areas, where we talk, argue, fight, commensurate, etc. It's a nerd free-for-all.

In the Forum-Only Selling Area, it's a TRANSACTIONAL forum, where real money changes hands and some serious books are sold, so I feel it deserves a LOT more professionalism than something like "Who's Stronger, Hulk or Thor" or "Hottest Comic Babes" threads.

Laugh all you want, and I do get the idiotic attempt at humor, but I look at the other forums as CONVERSATIONAL areas, where we talk, argue, fight, commensurate, etc. It's a nerd free-for-all.

In the Forum-Only Selling Area, it's a TRANSACTIONAL forum, where real money changes hands and some serious books are sold, so I feel it deserves a LOT more professionalism than something like "Who's Stronger, Hulk or Thor" or "Hottest Comic Babes" threads.

How did you know I was laughing? I wasn't. :sumo:

:baiting:

Vince, I get where you are coming from in the way of the sales area being a little more serious than Comics General.

But many deal with each other regularly, and try to enjoy the engagements while also considering their next book to purchase. And like this weekend where some sellers were posting fantastic books, many regular buyers were not online, so then people were asking "Are my prices too high or are these not collectible anymore." I'd post a quick note in their thread it was all good, and I thought their prices were spot-on.

I think the level of fun interaction is a good thing to keep everyone coming back. When it gets too much in a sales thread, though, I can see where it could be confusing for people joining the thread late and wondering what is left.

Was wondering how my fellow sellers feel about an issue that's been bugging me for awhile. What's your opinion of posters who, in the midst of your sales threads, post requests for specific books and/or titles?

I find these posts disruptive.

Join the club, and to me, it's like these guys are using a high-traffic sales thread to pimp their WTB list. Pretty blatant, and in some cases, I've seen other sellers post that they have the book in question.

You can't teach good forum manners.

lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was funny! lol

What's so humorous? I don't post emoticons in sales threads, write incessant "great deal!" or "if I didn't just buy the Mona Lisa, I'd be all over this..." stupidity. post personal want lists, slam grades/prices within the thread, or sell books in someone else's thread, and I make an attempt to remain professional in any true sales thread that adheres to the posted guidelines.

The irony of your posts is priceless.

JC, while I do agree that derailing isn't cool, I don't see much of a problem with people posting compliments on someone's wares. Often people put something up for sale and it sits causing them to ask, "What's wrong with what I'm selling?" And we all know that it isn't necessarily that the item in question is worthless but it just me be a question of timing and other outside factors. Dropping a nice compliment here and there lets the seller know there's an interest just not an opportunity on the part of the buyer at that time.

2c

I still think we should be able to edit FS threads at any time... I have listed my reasons before, just want to re-iterate the original statement.

-slym (didn't get anywhere with the "Ask CGC" forum)

I agree with you Bosco. I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone in their own thread. I think a PM is the best way to go. I personally would have zero problem with someone sending a pm to question a grade on a book. People miss defects from time to time. What is a seriously over priced book. Guide? 3/4 Guide? 1/2 Guide? From time to time I think we've all seen some raw books for sale that that are priced retardedly(is that a word?) high. :pullhair: I'm in a mood right now. rantrant

Bringing a graded book on here for $250 that sells for $145, then takes it to eBay and gets - ready for this? - $122. Taaa daaaahhhh!

I'm in a mood too, but I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection. At least that goes away.

I seem to remember this conversation.

enlighten us.

Noo. Come on now.

The discussion was "Is in appropriate to make comments in someone's sales thread, or to PM them."

Didn't want this turning into a list of folks that try to sell for higher on here and then when they do go to eBay they get hit with reality. That's a group PM discussion, IMHO.

What time will the group PM outing be????:popcorn:

I posted an ASM slab on here for what I thought was a good price and now it is sitting on Ebay and looks like I am way off, the best offers I have recieved are at least $100.00 under GPA 12 month avg. I know GPA is just a tool to use to help set a price but I figured the offers would be more in line with the avgs.

Actually if the offers continue the way they are going it will likely come back here for an even lower price then what it was before since I would rather give someone a good deal as opposed to giving up $50.00 in selling fees.

You, Sir, are the rare/extreme minority who has this stance.

I am NOT a proponent of this GPA.

When I sell something and use OSPG, I get slammed for it.

The "slammers" then use GPA on me when I inquire about books via PM. The sad thing that some of the "slammers" regularly qoute GPA and won't budge.

So they lost my business. I won't buy from them anymore.

CAL surfin' Sales Threads

Here is a good topic for this Thread:

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

This is a dilemma that I am sure that comes up regularly.

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

Any further discussion and past stories of experience would be most helpful.

CAL who struggles at times w/ uncomforatble topics

Dont buy from them and move on. Most people cant grade worth spoon.

I agree 100% = most people can't grade to save their lives.

The latest trend I have been encountering more and more:

" CAL you missed this spot upper right corner 1/16" back cover - I think that your NM- 9.2 you sold me is really a 7.0 on it's BEST day! I know you said All sales final and you provided 5 scans per book and PayPal took up for you. Your others were spot on."

Two months later I get this:

" This eBayer emailed me through the eBay messaging system and told me you can't grade worth squat - that TTA # 94 you sold him as NM- 9.2 was sent in and came back VF+ 8.5. Is this true? Please reply when and if you can. Sincerely, xyz who is interested in your CGC CM 7 9.8".

I waited a few minutes before I replied:

" Sir/madam,

I appreciate your concern and alerting me of this unfortunate situation. I wished that person had tried to work something out with me instead of emailing prospective bidders on my current auctions, which is in clear violation of the eBay guidelines. I may have sent him a free comic or two, or compensated him a difference of NM- 9.2 to the 8.5, maybe even bought the comic back outright as it is allegedly graded, but to do this s/he has closed all doors to me doing anything other than calling the Bay Monday morning. Your inquiry is a strange one as I only have three "raw" Wolverines up for sale right now but you say you are interested in that CM 7 CGC 9.8? But to answer what I THINK you want a response to is this:

' The buyer of that TTA 94 NM- 9.2 told ME in an earlier email( I save them all in the eBay system until they get auto deleted) that I missed a spot. Said it was a 7.0 AT BEST. S/he is probably right. HOWEVER, s/he sent the comic in for grading, and YOU say s/he got a VF+ 8.5. This is .7 off of what I sold it at. YOU have to decide if this .7 is "way off" versus the initial contact I received as being 2.2 off, which I would then feel obligated ready to remedy. Bottom Line: these "experts" cry foul, but still send in this overgraded book to CGC/PGX/ACE/whoever. If ANY Seller misses one, why would any Buyer still send the overgraded book in for grading? Please reply when you can.'

Have not heard from the person for a while.

Tried a few days ago to get communications going again - got a warning from ebay not to contact this person anymore.

Comments???

CAL puzzled (shrug)

Here is a good topic for this Thread:

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

This is a dilemma that I am sure that comes up regularly.

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

Any further discussion and past stories of experience would be most helpful.

CAL who struggles at times w/ uncomforatble topics

Dont buy from them and move on. Most people cant grade worth spoon.

I agree 100% = most people can't grade to save their lives.

The latest trend I have been encountering more and more:

" CAL you missed this spot upper right corner 1/16" back cover - I think that your NM- 9.2 you sold me is really a 7.0 on it's BEST day! I know you said All sales final and you provided 5 scans per book and PayPal took up for you. Your others were spot on."

Two months later I get this:

" This eBayer emailed me through the eBay messaging system and told me you can't grade worth squat - that TTA # 94 you sold him as NM- 9.2 was sent in and came back VF+ 8.5. Is this true? Please reply when and if you can. Sincerely, xyz who is interested in your CGC CM 7 9.8".

I waited a few minutes before I replied:

" Sir/madam,

I appreciate your concern and alerting me of this unfortunate situation. I wished that person had tried to work something out with me instead of emailing prospective bidders on my current auctions, which is in clear violation of the eBay guidelines. I may have sent him a free comic or two, or compensated him a difference of NM- 9.2 to the 8.5, maybe even bought the comic back outright as it is allegedly graded, but to do this s/he has closed all doors to me doing anything other than calling the Bay Monday morning. Your inquiry is a strange one as I only have three "raw" Wolverines up for sale right now but you say you are interested in that CM 7 CGC 9.8? But to answer what I THINK you want a response to is this:

' The buyer of that TTA 94 NM- 9.2 told ME in an earlier email( I save them all in the eBay system until they get auto deleted) that I missed a spot. Said it was a 7.0 AT BEST. S/he is probably right. HOWEVER, s/he sent the comic in for grading, and YOU say s/he got a VF+ 8.5. This is .7 off of what I sold it at. YOU have to decide if this .7 is "way off" versus the initial contact I received as being 2.2 off, which I would then feel obligated ready to remedy. Bottom Line: these "experts" cry foul, but still send in this overgraded book to CGC/PGX/ACE/whoever. If ANY Seller misses one, why would any Buyer still send the overgraded book in for grading? Please reply when you can.'

Have not heard from the person for a while.

Tried a few days ago to get communications going again - got a warning from ebay not to contact this person anymore.

Comments???

CAL puzzled (shrug)

PM coming Cal. Dont want to clutter the thread.

And your lack of vocabulary is hilarious. :roflmao:

You probably think 'irony" is what you do to your shirts.

Insults like that from someone who was just preaching manners is why i was laughing at you. (shrug)

Insults like that from someone who was just preaching manners is why i was laughing at you. (shrug)

lol

lol

Smiley_whipping.gif

lol

Smiley_whipping.gif

:(

There's been a few times I have seen a book I would like (but couldn't afford straight off) posted for sale by a board member I have had little/nothing to do with yet. I've posted a little message or a complimentary graemlin and sometimes the user PMs you with a 'we can work something out' message.

So you get the book on time payments and make some good friends in the process. Can't see anything wrong with it myself. It's not derailing as it's on topic. If people only want :takeit: posted as replies in their threads and nothing else then post it in the disclaimer at the start of the thread.

is some one getting an ironing?Is this a thread about

pressing???

Just being an arsehole and getting out of the house,sorry..

have made a few good friends with what boozad is talking about!!

(thumbs u

There's been a few times I have seen a book I would like (but couldn't afford straight off) posted for sale by a board member I have had little/nothing to do with yet. I've posted a little message or a complimentary graemlin and sometimes the user PMs you with a 'we can work something out' message.

So you get the book on time payments and make some good friends in the process. Can't see anything wrong with it myself. It's not derailing as it's on topic. If people only want :takeit: posted as replies in their threads and nothing else then post it in the disclaimer at the start of the thread.

My thoughts exactly! (thumbs u

At what point did you get Alzheimer's and forget we're talking about SALES THREADS here?

I spelled it out very clearly that I regard the regular forums as free-for-alls where conversation rules, but when MONEY CHANGES HANDS, it should be a lot more professional, like any business transaction. How can that be difficult to understand??? And if you think that is "irony" then you need to attend your ESL classes.

Obviously, to people like you, things need to be spelled out on a far more basic level. doh!