• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but here's the discussion thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1976814&fpart=230

You should make your post there as this is just for buying and selling and I thought trading too, but I guess the self appointed forum police think otherwise.

What I have done before it offered books for sale at a specific price on the board and then added

"Trade offers considered"

And that has led to 4 trades for me

Nobody has complained when I presented it that way.

If all you want to do it trade then I suggest offering your book for sale, maybe at a bit more than FMV and then adding that you are also very open to trades.

I think this would not be violating any rules if you do it that way.

Continued discussion from the Returner Conan Sales thread.....

It seems to me if you buy books from someone and then decide to sale that's your right you own them.

The conflict I see is in the fact that Returner helped Mary with grading and pricing during her thread and it could look and feel like a conflict of interest. Probably not since he is not posting all the books and trying to turn a profit. Seems to me like he is trying to move the stuff he just doesn't really need in his collection.

Just my opinion...

Danny

why should he be forced to have a $ price? can someone explain to me here quickly why trades are no good?

its just a rule of the cgc boards - it is what it is...

My thread offering to trade my book for a specified FMV dollar amount appears to be gone. Okay.

It was suggested I change the wording slightly to sell or trade, a matter of semantics, and I would be legal. Okay, good suggestion. Thanks.

But I still have some questions.

- Since I did have a trade price, I assume it's the trading part that is frowned upon?

- If not, is there a seperate Trading thread ? If so, does anyone ever look at it, I am not aware of one.

- Who deleted my thread ? I read references to Mods, who are these individuals?

- I assume this rule is in place to prevent the boards from becoming an auction site, I concur. Did I violate the intent of this rule or the semantics ?

- Is there a forum for me to question this rule, have it changed, etc.

I really don't want to cause trouble but these boards should be fun, trading is fun,

I did not have fun today. Thanks for listening and thanks to everyone who apparently agreed with me.

Well, bringing up the topic of including an area for trading certainly works as a start since the mods and administrators check this area as well as the others. And I don't think it's that trading is frowned upon but just that you weren't looking to sell something in the part of the forum that deals with sales.

My memory is a little hazy right now, but I "believe" there was a thread over in the Want to Buy section that some members used to post books they wanted and those they'd be willing to trade for the books. Might try digging around in there?

And I don't think you caused any trouble--just opened up something for discussion (since you're clearly acting in a normal reasonable way--you'd be surprised how rare that can be! lol ). The sales forum changed because people talked about it, so who knows? :hi:

Maybe next time, just post an aggressive sales price and mention offers welcome--most people do this in their threads and it works out just fine. Worst case, you sell the books for a steep price! :)

Here is a good topic for this Thread:

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

This is a dilemma that I am sure that comes up regularly.

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

Any further discussion and past stories of experience would be most helpful.

CAL who struggles at times w/ uncomforatble topics

Here is a good topic for this Thread:

How do you PM a fellow comic book collector and tell him/her that you feel that they overgrade their stuff for sale?

This is a dilemma that I am sure that comes up regularly.

Most, if not all sellers are sensitive to someone else suggesting that their stuff 'may" be overgraded.

Any further discussion and past stories of experience would be most helpful.

CAL who struggles at times w/ uncomforatble topics

I still don't understand why it's bad form to comment on someone's grading....but apparently it is.

Personally...I just skip those sellers threads.