• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Not directed at any particular person.

Using Paypal Personal for merchandise is against Paypal policy. If you use it for merchandise, you are stealing from Paypal. If you use it knowingly, you are a thief.

Sellers: you are taking a very foolish risk accepting personal for payments, as Paypal will eventually shut you down, and when you might need it, you won't have it.

Buyers: you are taking an even more foolish risk, because there's nothing you can do if you're not happy with the transaction.

This concept that Paypal is "the bad guy" is...well, it's one of the very big reasons why we have so many problems these days. If you don't like Paypal's policies, don't use them. What they earn, what it costs to run...these things are none of your business unless you're a shareholder.

Asking this here as not to spam general.

Why would it be bad to ask in CG? I'm sure you'd get a lot more readers/replies.

I figured it would be like advertising future sales.

Been sorting out books so far I've sorted out little over 2000 books to get rid of , my goal is 4000. Looks like I will have to go through my main runs and get rid of doubles to meet my goal.

I did get some positive responses via pms but overall the mood seems luke warm at best to sell them here on the boards. So it looks like I'll try the Craigslist route; hopeful all the Thanos copper minis and X-titles will lure people to buy the bulk collection. I am finding stuff I forgot about which imo means I didn't care enough about them so out they go. Figure .50 each as a bulk sale would be a good staring point and go down from there.

Looking for a pretty good answer about a situation I'm in at the moment. Hope someone can guide me through it as expected here on the boards.

Last Thursday I auctioned off some books here to a new boardie (Kat5040) and I sent an invoice/messege. I got a response stating that the books would be paid for on Monday (2 days ago) This never happened. I sent a messege Monday evening around 10:30 pm est and til this moment it's been unread. Whats my obligation? How long do I hang and wait and when is this deal dead. I personally wouldnt mind not even selling the books.

I just spoke through PMs with Annihilus and Zonker, both have open unpaid issues with this same noob boardie. The outlook isn't hopeful and I wish to move on and consider my deal dead. Should this noob come back to earth next week/month and say that Junk welched on a deal...well I dont want that over my head. Help me out here please. Thanks again.

Chris

Edited by Junkdrawer

Wow I've always wondered about that.

Does a seller have to hold books for 30 days or how long do they have to wait to try to sell them on another venue?

eBay policy is after ten days if payment is not received you are free to file a npb form and resell or not sell or whatever.

Ten days from the :takeit: and no payment?

I think the seller can take a free walk if they want, but they should post publicly about it to avoid getting the sting in the pants .

I've had this happen on several occasions with newer board members. They claim something in my sales thread and then disappear, never to log on again. I believe this happened three times to me, so far. I've waited the 30 days just to be certain I was in the clear and could nominate the buyer for the PL.

Should a seller who contacts a buyer have to wait so long for a response? Absolutely not. The buyer claimed it, the seller contacted them, and it should be settled. But, I recommend we stick to the 30 day rule, no exceptions. Is it usually longer than needed? Yes. But we, as a community have an established 30 day rule. We're not eBay (thankfully), and we've said 30 days is the rule.

I agree with Aces that ten days is more than enough time to respond, as a buyer or a seller. But, we've agreed 30 days is the time frame, so please, let's not muddy the waters of which side of the sale we are on and let's stick to the established time frame, though we should all strive to be well ahead of it...

I've had this happen on several occasions with newer board members. They claim something in my sales thread and then disappear, never to log on again. I believe this happened three times to me, so far. I've waited the 30 days just to be certain I was in the clear and could nominate the buyer for the PL.

Should a seller who contacts a buyer have to wait so long for a response? Absolutely not. The buyer claimed it, the seller contacted them, and it should be settled. But, I recommend we stick to the 30 day rule, no exceptions. Is it usually longer than needed? Yes. But we, as a community have an established 30 day rule. We're not eBay (thankfully), and we've said 30 days is the rule.

I agree with Aces that ten days is more than enough time to respond, as a buyer or a seller. But, we've agreed 30 days is the time frame, so please, let's not muddy the waters of which side of the sale we are on and let's stick to the established time frame, though we should all strive to be well ahead of it...

Again to quote the existing rules:

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (bold added for emphasis)

We do have a 30 day rule but that is for a transaction's completion. Not 30 days for one party to make a move.

If someone sells a book and waits 30 days before communicating, the time to meet a 30 day transaction completion is rendered impossible.

It is the same for a buyer who waits 30 days to communicate or send money. Again the 30 day completion is rendered impossible.

If folks feel this should be edited for clarity they should go for it. Perhaps the Guidelines

at http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472 could be edited to stipulate a clearer expectaton of when payment AND shipment is expected? If that occurs then the PL Rules can be edited to reflect the new Guidelines.

Just some possibilities.

But no where in the PL Rules does it state or even suggest that one party (buyer or seller) has the 30 days for themself alone.

Again to quote the existing rules:

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (bold added for emphasis)

We do have a 30 day rule but that is for a transaction's completion. Not 30 days for one party to make a move.

If someone sells a book and waits 30 days before communicating, the time to meet a 30 day transaction completion is rendered impossible.

It is the same for a buyer who waits 30 days to communicate or send money. Again the 30 day completion is rendered impossible.

If folks feel this should be edited for clarity they should go for it. Perhaps the Guidelines

at http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472#Post1460472 could be edited to stipulate a clearer expectaton of when payment AND shipment is expected? If that occurs then the PL Rules can be edited to reflect the new Guidelines.

Just some possibilities.

But no where in the PL Rules does it state or even suggest that one party (buyer or seller) has the 30 days for themself alone.

Then we should probably spell it out. I'd say 30 days for the whole deal to be completed. 10 days for the buyer to pay and 20 days for the seller to ship (this includes time in transit, so 20 days for the shipped comics to arrive). If the buyer pays in 1 day, then the seller has 20 days to ship, not 29. If the buyer takes 15 days to pay, and the seller cuts him a break, then the seller has 20 to ship, not just 15.

Actually, if we spell it out like that, then we can remove the part about 30 days, and just leave in the 10 days to pay, 20 days to ship.

30 days? :mad:. I put my books up at auction here for $1, the have a gude value of about $600 and they sold for $50, I also stated that I would only charge1/2 price for international shipping. The weight of the lot of books forces me to ship priority $33 and I am paying out of pocket $16 of that actully. What I am saying is that Tis is a smoking hot deal for the noob and now the no response thing. 30 days? Now if I received a request like, can I pay you in a month I would certainly be so accomadating. Having heard nothing. Keep in mind I did not run a sale and get GPA+ on a book and made a good flip, so waiting for an imaginary deal isn't so bad. I am losing so big in this deal and having to wait 30 days is just wrong on top of it.

Looking for a pretty good answer about a situation I'm in at the moment. Hope someone can guide me through it as expected here on the boards.

Last Thursday I auctioned off some books here to a new boardie (Kat5040) and I sent an invoice/messege. I got a response stating that the books would be paid for on Monday (2 days ago) This never happened. I sent a messege Monday evening around 10:30 pm est and til this moment it's been unread. Whats my obligation? How long do I hang and wait and when is this deal dead. I personally wouldnt mind not even selling the books.

I just spoke through PMs with Annihilus and Zonker, both have open unpaid issues with this same noob boardie. The outlook isn't hopeful and I wish to move on and consider my deal dead. Should this noob come back to earth next week/month and say that Junk welched on a deal...well I dont want that over my head. Help me out here please. Thanks again.

Chris

If they said it would be paid on Monday i would give them a few extra days and if still no payment consider the deal dead and move on.

30 days? :mad:. I put my books up at auction here for $1, the have a gude value of about $600 and they sold for $50, I also stated that I would only charge1/2 price for international shipping. The weight of the lot of books forces me to ship priority $33 and I am paying out of pocket $16 of that actully. What I am saying is that Tis is a smoking hot deal for the noob and now the no response thing. 30 days? Now if I received a request like, can I pay you in a month I would certainly be so accomadating. Having heard nothing. Keep in mind I did not run a sale and get GPA+ on a book and made a good flip, so waiting for an imaginary deal isn't so bad. I am losing so big in this deal and having to wait 30 days is just wrong on top of it.

If you're replying directly to me ... I'm pretty sure I said 10 days for the buyer to pay, not 30. :shrug:

As for the price of the comics, or how good the deal is, I'm thinking that's irrelevant. :sorry:

I'm in a situation now, where someone is not communicating. They took some books on a thread, I asked for a 20% down-payment and for completion in 3 months. They paid part of the down-payment and I have not heard from them again, I've asked twice, just to give me a schedule when they will make the time payments and to complete the down-payment, they read and don't answer. It's not quite 30 days. It's more frustrating because they read the pms and don't answer.

But actually, I'm OK with waiting, the 30 days rule works, it makes it simple...frustrating, but simple.

I think 10 days to pay without communicating is too long and I certainly think waiting 20 days to ship without communication is too long, however...the 30 day rule...well, it's simple, so I'm fine with it.

If we start modifying the rules more, it will be too hard to keep track of all them ...for example, let's say I really need the money, and I post all transactions will have to be paid in 3 days, or 24 hours, or 2 hours? Let's say I'm impatient and I want the book I paid for toe be mailed tomorrow, or last week?

We have to remember a few things, we don't pay fees here and we voluntarily police this forum. Further modifications will create a lot more traffic in this thread..

I feel junkdrawer's pain, I really do, but I guess it's a decision you have to make when you decide to sell here.

My guess is however, since the person is new, if they are not posting and you wait at least 14 days, you'd be pretty safe to assume that you are not to hear from them again... and I may have to add some language to make my time payment policies stricter. I usually say 3 months, but I might make it 30 days.

If you're replying directly to me ... I'm pretty sure I said 10 days for the buyer to pay, not 30. :shrug:

As for the price of the comics, or how good the deal is, I'm thinking that's irrelevant. :sorry:

Not at you directly SpeedyD, as I am sure you are quoting what I have also read. I'm just feeling the insult added to my self inflicted injury.

In case you missed it, the boards now have a one year expiration on editing posts, as opposed to the old 2 week period. Really helpful for the FOR SALE folk.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5806773&an=4&gonew=1#UNREAD

It was the lot with the Blackhawks and the other SA DC stuff, right? 19 nice mid-grade SA DCs was, indeed, a pretty sweat deal for $67 postpaid. hm

Speaking as an international collector, I think that the (non)buyer should be added to the Probation list just for being dumb! :sumo:

(I kid. But not much... ;) )

Chris

If they said it would be paid on Monday i would give them a few extra days and if still no payment consider the deal dead and move on.

If the buyer said he would pay on Monday & then didn't pay, didn't he break the deal? Why should Junk have to wait 10 days/30days/whatever? The terms of the deal were broken by the buyer.