• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I always tell buyers to post the :takeit: if I accept any PM terms.

However, if another person chimes in on the sales thread, ahead of any pm agreement, that person wins by default.

Rules are rules.

Sometimes the buyer wishes to remain anonymous so the seller must update it and if they are not on for a bit someone might pop in the thread with a :takeit: then you have to go to time stamp.

The real argument here is between technicality and the spirit of the boards... It is a shame when one has to be sacrificed for the other.

Spirit of the boards is also up to interpretation as many people find comfort in following rules exactly, even their own.

And for what it's worth, I would have given the book to Mike if it was me but I understand why Mike also didn't get it.

So that is why I think we need a standard, community set of rules...so that if all else fails, those rules act like a catch-all.

Because ultimately, the point of this conversation is not to draw lines and choose sides but to eliminate the problem.

The real argument here is between technicality and the spirit of the boards... It is a shame when one has to be sacrificed for the other.

Spirit of the boards is also up to interpretation as many people find comfort in following rules exactly, even their own.

And for what it's worth, I would have given the book to Mike if it was me but I understand why Mike also didn't get it.

So that is why I think we need a standard, community set of rules...so that if all else fails, those rules act like a catch-all.

Because ultimately, the point of this conversation is not to draw lines and choose sides but to eliminate the problem.

I think the better question is, would you have stepped aside if you were in the other "buyer's" shoes?

I think the better question is, would you have stepped aside if you were in the other "buyer's" shoes?

:popcorn:

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

sage advice

I have been saying this for quite some time.

This is the way it happened.

Buyer: Hi would you take this much?

Seller: Sure but only if not via Paypal

Buyer: OK

Someone hit the BIN in the thread.

This is really all it comes down to. The timestamp of the "OK."

We just learned in the thread in CG that when a PM post is edited the time stamp is unchanged.

PM time stamps cannot be trusted.

:(

Depends. What's a 9.0 DD#1 selling for these days? :P

After knowing the facts, I just guess "yes". Even if one wanted the book badly.

Fine. The rule is there. Dan didn't do anything wrong, but IMO sided wrong at the end.

I'll recommend to anyone that anyone that ever wants to sell here and keep a good reputation avoid that rule in that vague form. A time stamp should win and I'm guessing most people would agree. There really isn't any reason not to adopt this rule. It will save any seller from this awkward situation and clear rules won't off any buyers.

sage advice

I have been saying this for quite some time.

:blahblah:

:foryou:

Yes, definitely. So fast it would make your keyboard spin.

We just learned in the thread in CG that when a PM post is edited the time stamp is unchanged.

gameday_zps26aa8789.gif

gameday_zps26aa8789.gif

It was better in the probation thread.

That's not what POV proved. What he showed is that PMs can be edited without showing any indication that they have been edited. In this particular instance, the most I could do is change a timestamped PM to read something different. It could potentially go from "Let me think about it" to "Sure. Done deal!"

The time of the PM doesn't change. Here, while I suppose that could happen, I would have no reason to do so considering that I thought the book was mine.

That's not what POV proved. What he showed is that PMs can be edited without showing any indication that they have been edited. In this particular instance, the most I could do is change a timestamped PM to read something different. It could potentially go from "Let me think about it" to "Sure. Done deal!"

The time of the PM doesn't change. Here, while I suppose that could happen, I would have no reason to do so considering that I thought the book was mine.

Actually I demonstrated that editing the PM changes the content, does not change the Time Stamp and show no indication of having been edited. I did bring those up in my original post:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=350559&Number=7935588#Post7935588

And this was not meant to accuse anyone of anything. But too many people seemed secure in the time stamp as a form of inviolate truth. It is not inviolate.

gameday_zps26aa8789.gif

He posted it in a lot of places… :facepalm:

gameday_zps26aa8789.gif

He posted it in a lot of places… :facepalm:

Ohhhh, we got one of them..

Actually I demonstrated that editing the PM changes the content, does not change the Time Stamp and show no indication of having been edited. I did bring those up in my original post:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=350559&Number=7935588#Post7935588

And this was not meant to accuse anyone of anything. But too many people seemed secure in the time stamp as a form of inviolate truth. It is not inviolate.

Did you just say what I said?

Did you just say what I said?

If I remember correctly though on the content if you have it set up to get your PMs via e-mail, you get separate e-mails for each edit - the original plus additional e-mails for each edit. I'll test that.

Not that it matters in this discussion and yes, I think POV and you are saying the same thing.

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

To be clear. I made Dan an offer. He countered saying he would accept that offer if it was not Paypal. I accepted within 3 minutes via PM and more than 10 minutes before Roulette.

It's his sales thread and he can, I guess, run it however he wants. I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question. I also know that running a thread this way encourages sellers to string people along via PM in hopes of getting a higher offer in the thread. Not saying that was his intent. I did not run to thread to post a :takeit: b/c 1) I thought we had an agreed upon deal [i believe SD acknowledges he felt the same way] and 2) I was proceeding through the airport to make a flight. Good for Roulette44. He gets the book I guess. Hope he enjoys it. I asked him to let me know when it's for sale again.

This did not happen, but suppose a seller promises a buyer (who wishes to remain anonymous) that the seller will post a :takeit: in the thread on the buyer's behalf. Seller then waits a day to do so. Would a new buyer in the thread get it, if the seller had the same rules here?

C'est la vie. I've been looking for a nice DD #1 for a while now. This book had characteristics important to me. But, seems this one was not meant to be.

Reading through all these posts I have to agree with this particular statement, and I would venture to say that this "probably" will resonate true for may potential buyers in the future.

" I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question."