• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

It wasn't finalized.
Hows that, Transplant posted the :takeit: seller decided to honor his BS rule instead.

Just to be clear - the :takeit: was never posted in a PM

:takeit: IN the thread trumps any and ALL PM's

This is a standard practice in ALL of my sales threads. I've sold many books here on the Boards, and this is the 1st time this has happened.

I posted the book

Got a lot of nice comments

Got a few PM's (none from roulette44)

Mike PM'ed with a few questions, I answered

I had to run some errands with the wife

I came back, both "i'll take its" were posted, and the drama already started

Had I read Mike's acceptance prior to the "Ill take it" IN the thread, I would have posted it "SOLD via PM" myself. (If I could have even got it up in the few minutes between) Again, check any of my sales threads and see I've done that many times)

Therefore 1st "Ill take it IN the thread wins

Sorry if you don't like the rules I posted, but they were posted

To be clear. I made Dan an offer. He countered saying he would accept that offer if it was not Paypal. I accepted within 3 minutes via PM and more than 10 minutes before Roulette.

It's his sales thread and he can, I guess, run it however he wants. I know what I'm going to do going forward with regard to the seller in question. I also know that running a thread this way encourages sellers to string people along via PM in hopes of getting a higher offer in the thread. Not saying that was his intent. I did not run to thread to post a :takeit: b/c 1) I thought we had an agreed upon deal [i believe SD acknowledges he felt the same way] and 2) I was proceeding through the airport to make a flight. Good for Roulette44. He gets the book I guess. Hope he enjoys it. I asked him to let me know when it's for sale again.

This did not happen, but suppose a seller promises a buyer (who wishes to remain anonymous) that the seller will post a :takeit: in the thread on the buyer's behalf. Seller then waits a day to do so. Would a new buyer in the thread get it, if the seller had the same rules here?

C'est la vie. I've been looking for a nice DD #1 for a while now. This book had characteristics important to me. But, seems this one was not meant to be.

(shrug)

It seems that he's referencing another technicality that's even more ludicrous...implying that the rule said you have to post the gremlin, not just words that express the same intent...a completely different issue that has come up before

I hope not because that would be just :facepalm:

It wasn't finalized.
Hows that, Transplant posted the :takeit: seller decided to honor his BS rule instead.

The seller didn't see it.

That's a ridiculous argument. It would allow a shady seller to just not open a PM he thinks probably has a final "ok" in it and wait for an 'I'll take it" in the thread. Knowing all along if that doesn't happen he still has a sale waiting in an unopened PM.

Not saying that's what Dan did, but that's what this line of thinking is opening things up to.

That's not my MO. We are talking a few dollars difference. If you look at my past sales threads, I usually deal in dollar amounts that $40 or $45 dollars isn't going to make a difference.

If I read through some of my old PM's, I could probably find many times where I responded right away and told the seller to either post it IN the thread before someone else snags it, or I can post it for you.

It wasn't finalized.

That's a ridiculous argument.

So is your assessment that your rules are common sense. (thumbs u

It would allow a shady seller to just not open a PM he thinks probably has a final "ok" in it and wait for an 'I'll take it" in the thread. Knowing all along if that doesn't happen he still has a sale waiting in an unopened PM.

Not saying that's what Dan did, but that's what this line of thinking is opening things up to.

That however is common sense. You're just using this as a platform to pad your pointless post count anyway.

My post count is endless and not pointless.

There has been no example of a set of rules here with no technicalities. His rule was clearly stated and followed. I assume you would prefer he negotiated terms within the sales thread?

If Dan countered the PM offer, and the PM offer wasn't accepted untill 3 min's AFTER someone popped the "takeit" in thread. there is no debate or question who gets the book (the :takeit: in thread, since it came first)

however, if the PM offer was accepted BEFORE the :takeit: in thread and wasn't seen until after the item was taken in thread, the item should go to the PM buyer. since technically it was "popped" prior.

But from what i gather through this whole mess is, that was NOT the case. and was only accepted after the :takeit: in thread was made ....

:makepoint:

This is the way it happened.

Buyer: Hi would you take this much?

Seller: Sure but only if not via Paypal

Buyer: OK

Someone hit the BIN in the thread.

It wasn't finalized.

That's a ridiculous argument. It would allow a shady seller to just not open a PM he thinks probably has a final "ok" in it and wait for an 'I'll take it" in the thread. Knowing all along if that doesn't happen he still has a sale waiting in an unopened PM.

That's not my MO. We are talking a few dollars difference. If you look at my past sales threads, I usually deal in dollar amounts that $40 or $45 dollars isn't going to make a difference.

If I read through some of my old PM's, I could probably find many times where I responded right away and told the seller to either post it IN the thread before someone else snags it, or I can post it for you.

I don't think that is your MO. I don't think you intended to cause a mess at all. I just think that's what that rule opens it up to, and there are surely sellers that would adopt this MO.

Oh POV. :cloud9:

You're just using this as a platform to pad your pointless post count anyway.

I feel used. :(

No, it's not what it looks like. :foryou:

We BOTH just added a couple of quick-o posts to our counts! hm There is potential here! ;):hi:

The real argument here is between technicality and the spirit of the boards... It is a shame when one has to be sacrificed for the other.

But shouldn't the spirit of the boards be "seems we have a problem, aw shucks I missed out on a book by 3 minutes. Congrats buyer!" It's just a comic.

Drama has infiltrated the boards. Personally it just helps my post count.

Oh POV. :cloud9:

You're just using this as a platform to pad your pointless post count anyway.

I feel used. :(

No, it's not what it looks like. :foryou:

We BOTH just added a couple of quick-o posts to our counts! hm There is potential here! ;):hi:

Mutually beneficial and everyone is welcome to join. No drama in post count. :banana:

It wasn't finalized.

I don't think that is your MO. I don't think you intended to cause a mess at all. I just think that's what that rule opens it up to, and there are surely sellers that would adopt this MO.

Ok. Agreed. Then why was the reaction not "oops, mistake here. Congrats on the sale! Might want to check your rules for next time. ;) "

It wasn't finalized.

He should have corrected and stated it had sold via PM, and requested Transplant to post the obviously VERY necessary :takeit:

IMO, per the rules Dan stated in his thread, he did the right thing. There was another incident recently where a Boardie name Tuffy posted an :takeit: if the pending deal falls through. The deal fell through and the Seller did not acknowledge Tuffy. Why ? Because, after Tuffy's Take It, in the middle of the thread, the seller said whoever posts an I'll Take it from this point forward will win. Per my post below, I said if this is okay with the Boards, anything goes in the future. At the time nobody seemed to care, so why all the fuss over Dan's thread ? IMO, the Tuffy incident was worse. The new MO, anything goes.

Since we are arguing about technicalities here the fact is the Seller did not put the book 'On Hold'. He said 'Deal pending'. Tuffy posted that if the deal falls through he'll Take It. Seems legit to me. I think the seller does owe an explanation as to his thought process. Not so much for this deal but for future reference. He changed his requirements in the middle of the thread to disqualify Tuffy. If this technique is okay, then anything goes in the future.

If Dan countered the PM offer, and the PM offer wasn't accepted untill 3 min's AFTER someone popped the "takeit" in thread. there is no debate or question who gets the book (the :takeit: in thread, since it came first)

however, if the PM offer was accepted BEFORE the :takeit: in thread and wasn't seen until after the item was taken in thread, the item should go to the PM buyer. since technically it was "popped" prior.

But from what i gather through this whole mess is, that was NOT the case. and was only accepted after the :takeit: in thread was made ....

:makepoint:

Not what happened.

IMO, per the rules Dan stated in his thread, he did the right thing. There was another incident recently where a Boardie name Tuffy posted an :takeit: if the pending deal falls through. The deal fell through and the Seller did not acknowledge Tuffy. Why ? Because, after Tuffy's Take It, in the middle of the thread, the seller said whoever posts an I'll Take it from this point forward will win. Per my post below, I said if this is okay with the Boards, anything goes in the future. At the time nobody seemed to care, so why all the fuss over Dan's thread ? IMO, the Tuffy incident was worse. The new MO, anything goes.

Since we are arguing about technicalities here the fact is the Seller did not put the book 'On Hold'. He said 'Deal pending'. Tuffy posted that if the deal falls through he'll Take It. Seems legit to me. I think the seller does owe an explanation as to his thought process. Not so much for this deal but for future reference. He changed his requirements in the middle of the thread to disqualify Tuffy. If this technique is okay, then anything goes in the future.

In this case, Tuffy made an offer to buy a book which was no longer for sale publicly. The seller is under no obligation to accept, review, or even address that offer at that point.

Example - You go to a comic book store. You see on the shelf that there's a AF15 you really want at a good price. You're moving towards it, another guy takes it down, takes it to the front. You pass by and tell the owner you'll take it if the other guy doesn't take it, and you leave your business card on the counter. He doesn't answer or acknowledge you as you do so. 2 days later, the original buyer's check bounces, and the owner puts the comic back up on the shelf. Its bought immediately, by someone else.

Did the owner do the absolute smartest, most customer friendly thing? Probably not. Did he break any rules? Assuredly not.

In this case, Tuffy made an offer to buy a book which was no longer for sale publicly. The seller is under no obligation to accept, review, or even address that offer at that point.

Example - You go to a comic book store. You see on the shelf that there's a AF15 you really want at a good price. You're moving towards it, another guy takes it down, takes it to the front. You pass by and tell the owner you'll take it if the other guy doesn't take it, and you leave your business card on the counter. He doesn't answer or acknowledge you as you do so. 2 days later, the original buyer's check bounces, and the owner puts the comic back up on the shelf. Its bought immediately, by someone else.

Did the owner do the absolute smartest, most customer friendly thing? Probably not. Did he break any rules? Assuredly not.

Understand and acknowledge. However, all the arguments against Dan's thread are along the lines of proper Board protocol, good business practice, etc. The same arguments can be applied to the 'Tuffy' incident. I just don't understand why no one cared at the time but everyone is concerned about Dan's thread. Anything goes. It's the new normal. It's not yours until it's in hand. No grade until it's shipped. :baiting:

Understand and acknowledge. However, all the arguments against Dan's thread are along the lines of proper Board protocol, good business practice, etc. The same arguments can be applied to the 'Tuffy' incident. I just don't understand why no one cared at the time but everyone is concerned about Dan's thread. Anything goes. It's the new normal. It's not yours until it's in hand. No grade until it's shipped. :baiting:

Oh ok I see your point now. ANd I think we're on the same side. I think you're saying either both warrant discussion or neither, and if we HAD to talk about one, the TUFFY one is much fuzzier and more worthy of discussion.

*ahem* Someone else cared. :whistle:

I think from what I discovered after, Tuffy needed time to pay or something along those lines which was not agreed upon by the seller.

*ahem* Someone else cared. :whistle:

I think from what I discovered after, Tuffy needed time to pay or something along those lines which was not agreed upon by the seller.

Yes you did argue for Tuffy and I believe you were criticized for doing so. If what you say about Tuffy is true, the seller could have simply said something.

He basically ignored everyone and gave the appearance he simply preferred selling to the 'next' guy.