• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Since there is no CGC 9.0 graded copy that actually shows up in their census report, does that mean they did not do an official or full grading on the book itself?  Was it more of a pre-screen similar to what is done with MA books, or was it just a cursory overview glance at the book as a courtesy to Heritage, without actually looking at it in full detail?  ???

I'm sure a CGC rep could give more detail but the way Heritage described it this was more of a pre-screen with discussions back and forth as to why that grade, with Heritage lobbying for a 9.2 and CGC holding firm on a 9.0. It sounds like Heritage felt that a 9.2 from CBCS was more of an apples to apples comparison with the CBCS 9.0 Pennsylvania copy that sold last year.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

It sounds like Heritage felt that a 9.2 from CBCS was more of an apples to apples comparison with the CBCS 9.0 Pennsylvania copy that sold last year.

This actually makes perfect sense since from the 2 cover scans, I would say that the Church copy does look nicer than the Penn copy, strictly from a vosial eye appeal point of view.  Having them both graded as 9.0 copies would have thrown a bit of confusion into the mix. 

When it comes to these types of pedigree vintage once in a lifetime books, the actual books themselves are much more important than the subjective fractional decimals that shows up on a label.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

So if you follow that logic CGC would either have graded both the Church and Woo copies at 9.0 or the Church copy as a 9.0 and the Woo copy as a 8.5? I'm curious which direction CGC would have taken with the two books.

I have seen a lot of gray area between 9.0 and 9.2 CGC books but going from a 9.0 to 8.5 should be a little more easy for a grader.

Edited by N e r V

On 3/22/2017 at 4:10 PM, MrBedrock said:

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

I think both books would make any collector happy for they most likely are the two best on mother Earth .

25 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I think both books would make any collector happy for they most likely are the two best on mother Earth .

+1  Does a CGC .2 even matter on those? How many of us can really tell a .2 difference at that level? Have we gotton to the stage where a company or companies can milk us out out mountains of cash on a .2. The number on the plastic case and the bucks it will bring seem to be the most important point. Heck it's just a funny book and these are just about the coolest funny books out there. I'd be over the moon to own ANY copy!

Just now, Robot Man said:

+1  Does a CGC .2 even matter on those? How many of us can really tell a .2 difference at that level? Have we gotton to the stage where a company or companies can milk us out out mountains of cash on a .2. The number on the plastic case and the bucks it will bring seem to be the most important point. Heck it's just a funny book and these are just about the coolest funny books out there. I'd be over the moon to own ANY copy!

Moo Moo more please lol

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The answer is that we have been at that stage for years now! 

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

So if you follow that logic CGC would either have graded both the Church and Woo copies at 9.0 or the Church copy as a 9.0 and the Woo copy as a 8.5? I'm curious which direction CGC would have taken with the two books.

The market seems to price CBCS books as being a step down from the equivalent CGC grade.

This Suspense 3 would certainly seem to reinforce that approach.

Just now, tth2 said:

The market seems to price CBCS books as being a step down from the equivalent CGC grade.

This Suspense 3 would certainly seem to reinforce that approach.

Huh. Haven't been paying attention since I only have a few from that "other" company.

Well it certainly matters when the final price is reached often. That .2 can mean a lot of cash in many cases.

On 22/3/2017 at 9:10 PM, MrBedrock said:

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

Shocker.

Have we gotton to the stage where a company or companies can milk us out out mountains of cash on a .2. The number on the plastic case and the bucks it will bring seem to be the most important point. Heck it's just a funny book and these are just about the coolest funny books out there. I'd be over the moon to own ANY copy!

Jeez, did I just time warp into the Boards circa 2003?

This horse is so far out of the barn that he just left the Solar System. 

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

Since the Penn copy was graded back in the late 2014/early 2015 time period, it should be pointed out that the CGC of 2014/15 would most probably have graded the book differently from the CGC of 2017.  :gossip:

There is no point in comparing the grading between 2 different auctions houses when the grading within the one company itself would most likely have also produce different grading results.  hm

Since the Church copy of Suspense 3 appears nicer than the Penn copy, the increase in grade for the Church copy would tend to indicate that Voldy is maintaining a relative level of consistency with respect to their grading.  (thumbsu 

Unfortunately, not sure if I can say the same thing here with respect to in-house grading company here.  I guess that can be explained in large part though, due to the change in how their grading teams are now headed, and also in what appears to be a change with respect to the application of their unpublished grading standards.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I figured I'd open myself up with that post. But when have I ever not spoken my mind here even if it isn't popular. Like they say, "A fool and his money"...

No one's criticizing you for saying what you said, only indicating that perhaps you're being a bit naïve, perhaps intentionally. 

My point was that this issue was fiercely debated 10-15 years ago when CGC was new and prices were being shattered for slabbed books, but the evidence is now indisputable that collectors have and will pay huge amounts for a small difference in numbers in a label, and the trend ain't stopping anytime soon. 

The difference in value between each CGC increment for an Action 1 is more than the individual value of 99% of the comics in existence.