• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Totally disappointed and rather surprised that the auction description listing does not have the back story as to where this "long lost" copy has been for the past few decades, especially when this would have certainly helped with the marketing aspect and increasing interest for this particular book.  :frown:

I'm going to venture more will come with it's backstory. It would be kind of shocking to just throw up a key Church book that many even doubted existed with nary a word of whence it came.

On the other hand, it's also quite possible that this will be it in terms of any backstory.  Especially if the book is coming from the vaults of a long-time personal collector who wants to both avoid the limelight and is also concerned with maintaining privacy and security issues at the same time.  hm

43 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I seriously doubt any back story will be provided.

You could be right.

Which is sad. Even if it's a boring story I'd think details of its whereabouts over the last few decades and how it first was sold and to whom would be nice.

Maybe that info. will at least come to light after the sale by someone informed?

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

The backup story could be as simple as "From a long time collector"

And his name was Edgar Church and he used to lived in Denver CO and stacked all of his comics in huge piles in the basement of his house.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And his name was Edgar Church and he used to lived in Denver CO and stacked all of his comics in huge piles in the basement of his house.  :gossip:  lol

The Suspense 3 belongs to a collector named Harold Blandeman ....... purchased from Chuck in 1977. He thought the cover was interesting and well worth the 25 bucks. It is the only golden age book in his collection. Meanwhile, back at the ranch....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:
19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The Suspense 3 belongs to a collector named Harold Blandeman ....... purchased from Chuck in 1977. He thought the cover was interesting and well worth the 25 bucks. It is the only golden age book in his collection. Meanwhile, back at the ranch....... GOD BLESS...

Now that's definitely the name of a collector we have never hear of before this.  (thumbsu

Would you also happen to know where all of the "long lost" SF Nedors are, or were they all abducted by aliens?  lol

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Now that's definitely the name of a collector we have never hear of before this.  (thumbsu

Would you also happen to know where all of the "long lost" SF Nedors are, or were they all abducted by aliens?  lol

They are in one of the event horizon waiting rooms at Area 51....... but you didn't hear it from me.... GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Now that was a savvy buy  

On 18/03/2017 at 4:45 PM, Gotham Kid said:

+1

The consignor may well have instructed the auction house to remain anonymous in this case, with no personal details to be disclosed as a result. My guess is that all the details will surface post sale. 2c

18 hours ago, Moondog said:
On 3/18/2017 at 5:01 AM, Sqeggs said:

I thought that lot might go much higher. Given what I thought a DA 2 CGC 9.2 would go for, $80K for the pair seems to put a low value on the DA 1 ashcan. To me the DA 1 was the key book, given its -- literally -- mythic status in the hobby. 

But it doesn't appear that many other people thought that way. 

I would have loved to have added it to my Action Funnies and Action Comics, but the NG just turned me off.  I asked Mark how he priced the pair and he said he really didn't do it that way.  In my head I had the DA 2 at $50,000.  That puts $30,000 on the DA ashcan, which seems a bit low to me.  I don't understand why they didn't sell each separately.  I think it hurt the overall valuation.

+1

Bang on in terms of the 2 factors keeping the price down on these 2 books.  (thumbsu

Makes no sense at all why CGC would not grade this book and why Metro would then try to pair them up in order to auction them off.  Wonder if the NG designation by CGC for the DA 1 was the driving force behind the decision to pair them up, in order to give some perceived "legitimacy" to the label.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, comicjack said:
3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Now that was a savvy buy  

Yes, no doubt the best $25 investment of his life by far.  :whee:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Bang on in terms of the 2 factors keeping the price down on these 2 books.  (thumbsu

Makes no sense at all why CGC would not grade this book and why Metro would then try to pair them up in order to auction them off.  Wonder if the NG designation by CGC for the DA 1 was the driving force behind the decision to pair them up, in order to give some perceived "legitimacy" to the label.  (shrug)

I believe that's the only explanation that makes sense to me...

7 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

The consignor may well have instructed the auction house to remain anonymous in this case, with no personal details to be disclosed as a result. My guess is that all the details will surface post sale. 2c

Sure. But then at least they could say that

My, any info about the consignment would generate a premium, no? 

You guys at HA hear me, I just can't stand such a nonsense :taptaptap: lol

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Some people have now owned Edgar`s books for longer than he did.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

whoa

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

whoa

Yes, indeed!  (thumbsu

I heard through the grapevine that a one Mr. Harold Blandeman has owned a particular Church book longer than Edgar The Man has owned it himself.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, Moondog said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I believe that's the only explanation that makes sense to me...

Has anybody in the vintage comic book world been able to figured out why CGC in effect "refused" to grade this book and simply decided to give it a NG designation instead?  ???

I personally feel that this designation effectively destroyed the marketability of this book as it may have left many potential bidders with the mistaken impression that CGC may not have deemed this DA 1 to be an real comic book.  (shrug)  :frown: