• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

lol Not me - unfortunately! Which ones?:popcorn:

I don't really know or have a list of them. Let's just say, most would not shake the house around here. I bought a pretty big pile from Chuck at Casual Con when he first found the collection. My interests were censhorship books so a lot of SOTI, Parade of Pleasure, Love and Death ect as well as ones that I just liked. I passed on Suspense #3 because it wasn't a SOTI book.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't really know or have a list of them. Let's just say, most would not shake the house around here. I bought a pretty big pile from Chuck at Casual Con when he first found the collection. My interests were censhorship books so a lot of SOTI, Parade of Pleasure, Love and Death ect as well as ones that I just liked. I passed on Suspense #3 because it wasn't a SOTI book.

Haven't we all done things like that 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:
4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

lol Not me - unfortunately! Which ones?:popcorn:

Do you remember what year this was?  Was it in the summer of '77 or something like that?  I assume this would well before he got around to printing up that Mile High Catalog of his with the tiny tiny print that almost made you blind when you tried to read it.  lol

Did you actually see the copy of Suspense 3 sitting out on his booth at the Con?  Any idea if he still had the big GA books like Action 1, 'Tec 27, Marvel Mystery 1, etc. or were they already sold by then or were they being held back by Chuck at that early stage of selling?  ???

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The trade-off is that now you'd be old! :preach:

True. However, getting old is part of life, for everyone. No one here gets out alive.

These boomers really grew up in the sweet spot of American life.

I feel for these Millenials. Nothing but cocktails and Zima are left at the buffet.:S

Very true. We are all going to be born and die in a certain era of time. I feel lucky to be a child of the '50's, a teenager in the wild daze of the '60's. I've lived through some of the best music of all time. Incredible changes like landing on the moon and the internet. I could, and did, travel in the '70's to places you just can't go any more at least safely. I'm happy to "be old" in 2017...

As far as buying comics "cheap", they were just as expensive then as they are now relatively.

17 hours ago, david99 said:

In my next life, I want o come back as a Baby Boomer. What opportunities back then. Sigh.

There's no guarantee you would've seized the opportunities even if you'd been one, because none of them were obvious at the time.

As I like to say, 40 years from now, today will be 40 years ago, and young adults at that time will probably look back enviously on the opportunities you had today.  So do all the things today that you wish you would've been able to do 40 years ago if you'd been a baby boomer.

30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

There's no guarantee you would've seized the opportunities even if you'd been one, because none of them were obvious at the time.

As I like to say, 40 years from now, today will be 40 years ago, and young adults at that time will probably look back enviously on the opportunities you had today.  So do all the things today that you wish you would've been able to do 40 years ago if you'd been a baby boomer.

40 years from now I will look back and remember how fortunate I was to read this post from Tim.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

40 years from now I will look back and remember how fortunate I was to read this post from Tim.

Assuming that global warming is really just a hoax created by the Chinese. 

Otherwise you'll be living somewhere between Waterworld and the surface of Venus. O.o

28 minutes ago, N e r V said:

somewhere between Waterworld and the surface of Venus. O.o

:cloud9:

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:
On 3/20/2017 at 8:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Do you remember what year this was?  Was it in the summer of '77 or something like that?  I assume this would well before he got around to printing up that Mile High Catalog of his with the tiny tiny print that almost made you blind when you tried to read it.  lol

Did you actually see the copy of Suspense 3 sitting out on his booth at the Con?  Any idea if he still had the big GA books like Action 1, 'Tec 27, Marvel Mystery 1, etc. or were they already sold by then or were they being held back by Chuck at that early stage of selling?  ???

I don't remember but that sounds about right. It was right after he had bought the collection and before he had time to catalogue it. It was in Anahiem CA at the Casual Con. Check mentions it in an installment on his multipart series on the collection in "From the Database". Well worth Googling and reading that part. He was trying to raise some quick cash and drove out here from CO with a large load. I remember the buzz in the room. The most beautiful books we had ever seen. Most dealers just closed down and picked the boxes. 

I believe he still had the big books but did not bring them. Lots of DC and other superheroes. I don't remember any Timely's though for some reason. Most hit the "men in tights" books. It was too crowded and there was way more to look at. One of the biggest "feeding frenzys" I've ever seen. I was heavily into pre-code horror, censhorship/SOTI books and esoteric Atom Age stuff. I bought all the SOTI, Parade of Pleasure and Love & Death books he had as well as some Avons, horror, crime and just cool books I'd never seen before. Hardly anyone was looking in those boxes. I remember being disapointed there were no EC's but now I know why. 

I do remember the grumbling about the "over guide" prices. In retrospect, I really understand why he did it, but it was a first for most people. But we all knew this collection was special. I bought maybe 40-50 books all $10. each and under. I blew my budget and even bummed some money from a friend.  Lot of money when I was making like $2.50 an hour to support myself. 

One of the top experiences in my collecting "career"

And no, I never saw the Suspense #3...

That's just a fantastic story and it's always nice to hear these types of stories right from the horse's mouth, as it makes me feel like I was right there with you at Casual Con.  :headbang:

If you was at the Diamond Intl'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95, was it anything like the wild and manic "feeding frenzy" that had occurred there?   :slapfight:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very true. We are all going to be born and die in a certain era of time. I feel lucky to be a child of the '50's, a teenager in the wild daze of the '60's. I've lived through some of the best music of all time. Incredible changes like landing on the moon and the internet. I could, and did, travel in the '70's to places you just can't go any more at least safely. I'm happy to "be old" in 2017...

As far as buying comics "cheap", they were just as expensive then as they are now relatively.

The music was the best and the price of comics off the rack was a bargain 

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't remember but that sounds about right. It was right after he had bought the collection and before he had time to catalogue it. It was in Anahiem CA at the Casual Con. Check mentions it in an installment on his multipart series on the collection in "From the Database". Well worth Googling and reading that part. He was trying to raise some quick cash and drove out here from CO with a large load. I remember the buzz in the room. The most beautiful books we had ever seen. Most dealers just closed down and picked the boxes. 

I believe he still had the big books but did not bring them. Lots of DC and other superheroes. I don't remember any Timely's though for some reason. Most hit the "men in tights" books. It was too crowded and there was way more to look at. One of the biggest "feeding frenzys" I've ever seen. I was heavily into pre-code horror, censhorship/SOTI books and esoteric Atom Age stuff. I bought all the SOTI, Parade of Pleasure and Love & Death books he had as well as some Avons, horror, crime and just cool books I'd never seen before. Hardly anyone was looking in those boxes. I remember being disapointed there were no EC's but now I know why. 

I do remember the grumbling about the "over guide" prices. In retrospect, I really understand why he did it, but it was a first for most people. But we all knew this collection was special. I bought maybe 40-50 books all $10. each and under. I blew my budget and even bummed some money from a friend.  Lot of money when I was making like $2.50 an hour to support myself. 

One of the top experiences in my collecting "career"

And no, I never saw the Suspense #3...

Question, Bob....... were the books in bags and boards at that point ? I know at shows, just a couple years earlier, that the comics mostly were just loose in boxes with prices penciled on the back cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If you was at the Diamond Intl'l Galleries Grand Opening back in '95, was it anything like the wild and manic "feeding frenzy" that had occurred there?   :slapfight:  lol

Major events in Lou_Fine`s life:

1.  Diamond Intl'l Galleries Grand Opening

2.  Getting married

3.  Birth of kids

50 minutes ago, tth2 said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

2.  Getting married

3.  Birth of kids

lol

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

2.  Getting married

3.  Birth of kids

Tim;

It's quite obvious that you don't know me very well at all.

My Top 3 major events so far in my life are as follows:

1)  Meeting the great tth2 in Hong Kong;

2)  Having dinner with tth2 and his beautiful family in Stanley; and

3)  Seeing and geeking through tth2's uber HG DC collection.

Nothing can beat those 3 life changing events for me.  :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/20/2017 at 2:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Has anybody in the vintage comic book world been able to figured out why CGC in effect "refused" to grade this book and simply decided to give it a NG designation instead?  ???

I personally feel that this designation effectively destroyed the marketability of this book as it may have left many potential bidders with the mistaken impression that CGC may not have deemed this DA 1 to be an real comic book.  (shrug)  :frown:

I believe a few years ago a decision was made at CGC that any new ashcans submitted for grading would receive the NG designation due to an inability to fully authenticate them.