• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

I would be pretty surprised if the owner or owners of these 3 Church copies don't know what they have. Other than the #3, these are the "big" issues in the run. One day, they will probably surface just like this unknown #3. There are obviously a lot of real private and longtime collectors out there.

30 minutes ago, Holyoke said:

I know this will appear as a first post for all of you, but my older stage name (Et-Es-Go) has not been merged with the new (Holyoke).  I have been collecting some of these esoteric titles since the early 90s'.  For whatever reason the Et-Es-Go/Holyoke titles were a big focus of my collecting, and still are.  It is the allure of rarity, the satisfaction of just finding any copy let alone grade that was the fun in the hunt.  As you delved deeper into the history of how these books came to be it became even more interesting.  These dog eared survivors of a then disposable medium that have survived to current day are now pursued and coveted by our collecting community, and that some specimens have survived to current day in nearly perfect condition is really miraculous.  

What I find interesting about the quote I have copied here is that the Mile High copies of Suspense #4, #8, and #10 are not in the current CGC census.  There are examples of Mile High copies having "escaped" into the wild only later to be found.  It is likely that these three books are out there, but folks just don't realize what they have?  They may also grade well below the 7.5 CGC census (as noted in the quote) if they can be identified.

I can tell you from years of personal experience that the Suspense #4 is the hardest book by far to find of anything that Et-Es-Go/Continental Comics ever published.  This is one that still flies under the radar for most collectors.  CGS census has only 12 copies registered against 32 copies for Suspense #3 for comparison.  I will be interested to see if these lost Mile High books surface with the re-newed interest in the title this last year.  

I like the cover to #4 OK but #3 and #8 are the more exciting cover art with #9 just behind those two. I think most of the covers in the run are good though.

If #8 was harder to find it might find a new level in the market. I'm still torn between #3 and #8 for best cover. 

1 hour ago, Holyoke said:
On 3/17/2017 at 10:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Now that the Church copy of Suspense 3 has finally surfaced, it looks like virtually every single one of the Church copies in this short 12-issue run of Suspense Comics have now found their way into the marketplace.  The Heritage archives indicate the only exceptions to this are the Church copies for Suspense 4, Suspense 8, and Suspense 10.  hm

It would certainly be nice to see the Church copies of Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 since both of these issues do not yet have any high grade copies above 7.5 in the CGC Census Population Report to this point in time.  Especially since many have speculated that issue #4 might actually be the toughest to find in the entire run, while we all know about the classic and in-demand spider cover for issue #8.  I guess it's just a matter of being patient and waiting.  :taptaptap:

What I find interesting about the quote I have copied here is that the Mile High copies of Suspense #4, #8, and #10 are not in the current CGC census.  There are examples of Mile High copies having "escaped" into the wild only later to be found.  It is likely that these three books are out there, but folks just don't realize what they have?  They may also grade well below the 7.5 CGC census (as noted in the quote) if they can be identified.

I can tell you from years of personal experience that the Suspense #4 is the hardest book by far to find of anything that Et-Es-Go/Continental Comics ever published.  This is one that still flies under the radar for most collectors.  CGS census has only 12 copies registered against 32 copies for Suspense #3 for comparison.  I will be interested to see if these lost Mile High books surface with the re-newed interest in the title this last year.  

It should be pointed out that I was saying that the Mile High copies of Suspense #4, #8, and #10 were not shown as having been auctioned off at Heritage.  I do NOT know if they are in the current CGC census or not, since I can see the grades only, and nothing at all to do with their possible provenance.  :gossip:

Since there is a CGC 9.2 highest graded copy of Suspense 10 listed in their census, I would "assume" that this could possibly be the Mile High copy.  (shrug)  Especially since the CGC 9.0 graded copy is the so-called Northern Lights Collection copy (whatever that is ???) that sold at Heritage way back in 2005, while the CGC 8.0 graded copy is the Davis Crippen "D" copy that sold at Heritage for $1,434 back in 2006 and then resold 10 years later in 2016 for only $1,075.  :censored:

Don't believe the Church copies of either the Suspense 4 or the Suspense 8 has yet been graded since the highest grade is only a CGC 7.5.  According to Chuck's original Mile High catalog, the listed grades for both Suspense 4 and Suspense 10 were NM, while the listed grade for Suspense 8 was a NM+.  Remember being at a San Diego Con a couple of decades ago and somebody was mentioning that the MH Suspense 8 was apparently a drop dead killer copy with its all black cover.  So, I assume it must be around somewhere unless that was just wild speculation which is quite possible.  (shrug)

And I believe you are bang on correct in terms of the extreme scarcity of Suspense 4, relative to the other issues within the run, as I have heard exactly the same comment from dealers and other long-time collectors way back in the day when I was unsuccessfully looking for these books.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, Holyoke said:

I know this will appear as a first post for all of you, but my older stage name (Et-Es-Go) has not been merged with the new (Holyoke).  I have been collecting some of these esoteric titles since the early 90s'.  For whatever reason the Et-Es-Go/Holyoke titles were a big focus of my collecting, and still are.  It is the allure of rarity, the satisfaction of just finding any copy let alone grade that was the fun in the hunt.  As you delved deeper into the history of how these books came to be it became even more interesting.  These dog eared survivors of a then disposable medium that have survived to current day are now pursued and coveted by our collecting community, and that some specimens have survived to current day in nearly perfect condition is really miraculous.  

Still trying to get accustomed  to the new board format so not sure how this post will appear to all of you.  I think we are saying more or less the same thing, that to date no confirmation of some of these books being a Mile High copy have been determined.  If some of these books were distributed to collectors early on they may have lost that provenance and may not have been as well cared for as they should have been, so you may have a Mile High copy that does not show up at the top of the census for that book.  If they were submitted for a certified grade I would imagine that they would have been identified by the graders at that point in time.  If the Mile High Suspense #3 just made an appearance after all these years, then it is reasonable to assume that a few others might still be out there.  The alternate title of Terrific comic that published on alternating months is scarce as hens teeth as well.  Publication months of Terrific #2 and #3 bracket Suspense #3.  Terrific #3 is I believe is L.B. Cole's first comic book cover that was published, but not his first commercial work.

Suspense #3 is a very unique book for it's cover art and composition.  I don't understand why so many people are comparing it to Fantastic Comics #3, which is also an iconic golden age cover.  But they can each stand on their own merits, why does one need to be more iconic/better than the other?  Imagine what Lou Fine or Alex Schomburg could have created if they had the luxury of time on their side to create a work of their own imaginations rather than adhering to publication timelines.  These people were superb artists that stood out amongst a field of some superior artists.  And I believe they were just doing what they loved to do.  Pretty cool that they left this legacy of ten cent comics behind for all of us to enjoy.

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

plenty examples of cgc giving lax grades to mile high books.  check h.a. archives for the 9.2 suspense 5.  

Did so, but no real surprise due to glue and color touch (albeit both being "very minor")? :wink: Be that as it may.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't even notice the .2 difference. I'd be so blown away it wouldn't matter...

I'm bothered by HA's course of action. Why exactly didn't they go with their first choice of graders? Now it appears that they were desperate to beat the 9.0 grade of the other copy. :frown:

And to talk about that procedure appears like another mistake in terms of poor marketing/presentation of this spectacular find in vintage comic collector's world.

3 hours ago, Holyoke said:

It is the allure of rarity, the satisfaction of just finding any copy let alone grade that was the fun in the hunt.  As you delved deeper into the history of how these books came to be it became even more interesting.  These dog eared survivors of a then disposable medium that have survived to current day are now pursued and coveted by our collecting community, and that some specimens have survived to current day in nearly perfect condition is really miraculous.

:) 

3 hours ago, Holyoke said:

There are examples of Mile High copies having "escaped" into the wild only later to be found. (...)

I will be interested to see if these lost Mile High books surface with the re-newed interest in the title this last year.

There are books out there and with them, there are stories out there.

If I wasn't so curious! :cry:

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

3)  Seeing and geeking through tth2's uber HG DC collection.

I've always joked that it was ironic that the only people who ever saw my collection at its peak in person--you and Gene/Delekkerste--had zero interest in SA DCs. :insane: 

14 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

Where did they say that? 

16 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

It is my understanding that the consignor had chosen CBCS. Perhaps Heritage convinced him to "let's just see what CGC says" 2c 

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

It is my understanding that the consignor had chosen CBCS. Perhaps Heritage convinced him to "let's just see what CGC says" 2c 

According to Heritage that is not the case. The consignor is not a comic collector.

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Based on the last few posts the book is starting to get some intrigue to its story.hm

Not really a lot of intrigue...just a CGC 9.0 vs. CBCS 9.2.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Call them and ask.

Mr. Bedrock, 

Based on our past comments concerning investments with each other  in comics if you were to put aside your emotions as a fan of the material how would you rate this copy of Suspense #3 and the 9.4 Fantastic #3 strictly as investment choices? 

Also like any investment where would you place the tipping point of cost in each book as being to much in your opinion (over paying) with regards to recouping your investment?

If you plan on being a bidder in either book then I will respectfully withdraw that last question if you don't wish to tip your own hand for the auctions. You have a phenomenal collection of books I wouldn't wish to see denied either copy.

I'm assuming it's the bigger auctions like these you see as the stronger investment choices vs investing the same amount of cash in smaller priced books (or maybe I'm wrong)?

Sorry if I seem like I'm using you as a "Ask Gator" poster but we both exchanged comments on comics investing and I'm curious as to how you view these big auctions. 

48 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Mr. Bedrock, 

Based on our past comments concerning investments with each other  in comics if you were to put aside your emotions as a fan of the material how would you rate this copy of Suspense #3 and the 9.4 Fantastic #3 strictly as investment choices? 

Also like any investment where would you place the tipping point of cost in each book as being to much in your opinion (over paying) with regards to recouping your investment?

If you plan on being a bidder in either book then I will respectfully withdraw that last question if you don't wish to tip your own hand for the auctions. You have a phenomenal collection of books I wouldn't wish to see denied either copy.

I'm assuming it's the bigger auctions like these you see as the stronger investment choices vs investing the same amount of cash in smaller priced books (or maybe I'm wrong)?

Sorry if I seem like I'm using you as a "Ask Gator" poster but we both exchanged comments on comics investing and I'm curious as to how you view these big auctions. 

My opinion, for what it is worth...

I don't think either of them are particularly great investments, but I also don't think either of them will sell to someone who cares about investment potential. Simply because of all of the press being garnered by each, they should both sell for extreme maximum value...I am guessing $250-300K each. As far as which one would I prefer, probably the Suspense 3.

21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

Since there is no CGC 9.0 graded copy that actually shows up in their census report, does that mean they did not do an official or full grading on the book itself?  Was it more of a pre-screen similar to what is done with MA books, or was it just a cursory overview glance at the book as a courtesy to Heritage, without actually looking at it in full detail?  ???

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would be pretty surprised if the owner or owners of these 3 Church copies don't know what they have. Other than the #3, these are the "big" issues in the run. One day, they will probably surface just like this unknown #3. There are obviously a lot of real private and longtime collectors out there.

It's quite possible they will probably surface when the marketplace develops some inking of heat towards this Suspense run, as their auction results (except for the Suspense 3) are rather tepid to say to say the least.  Especially when you see prices on the Church copies go on a downtrend trend as they re-enter the marketplace over a several year span.  :frown: