• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Seeing this picture again, I just realized what's the most beautiful color on the book.

It's neither the intense red nor the flashing yellow from the fireplace, it's the stunning blue of the sky! 

While having a full moon night ...

Agreed. Those blues pop so nicely.

24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No, I believe the most beautiful color the consignor is going to see is the color Green once this book is auctioned off.  :flipbait:   lol

Green is secondary color. I feel sorry for him, too. (:

On 3/15/2017 at 0:02 PM, Straw-Man said:

as to the extraneous factor affecting the fantastic 3's allure, I'd bet, tho' we could never prove it, that ernie's use of the suspense represents a march larger factor in the latter's prestige than does fishler's hoarding of the former.  also, similar to the post of rarehighgrade, in my view the suspense does not "stand head and shoulders" above the canon of schomburg's covers; i certainly prefer others, tho' i do recognize how striking the s3 is.

I agree with your assessment, Billy, in regard to Suspense 3, but Fishler's Fantastic 3 mania no doubt increased the demand/price for this book.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:14 AM, sagii said:

Very intriguing post. This is certainly a way to look at that sale. It's in a very select club by your assessment. Probably a few more of the pre hero DC's and certain Centaurs could be candidates too. 

Valuations for ashcans have suffered from their extreme rarity for decades.  No real market for a particular book, or the category as a whole can develop, because they just don't turn up for sale on any sort of regular basis.  But I believe if the DA ashcan had a grade the two books would have hit $150,000 easily.  So many collectors were turned off by the NG designation.  I was.

14 minutes ago, Moondog said:

I agree with your assessment, Billy, in regard to Suspense 3, but Fishler's Fantastic 3 mania no doubt increased the demand/price for this book.

I fully agree with that 

52 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Valuations for ashcans have suffered from their extreme rarity for decades.  No real market for a particular book, or the category as a whole can develop, because they just don't turn up for sale on any sort of regular basis.  But I believe if the DA ashcan had a grade the two books would have hit $150,000 easily.  So many collectors were turned off by the NG designation.  I was.

$150.000.00? Now that's food for thought. Wonder why they won't assign grades to these historic pieces? I may be wrong, but i always assumed THE Ashcan is the 'Thrill Comics (Capt. Marvel) book? 

9 minutes ago, Pickie said:

On a side note, whereas Ernie Gerber used the cover of Suspense #3 for the frontispiece of Vol. 1 (p. A-1), he used Double Action #2 for the frontispiece of Vol. 2 (p. C-1).

And we all know what that did for the want list :popcorn:

9 hours ago, Moondog said:

On 3/16/2017 at 1:14 AM, sagii said:

Very intriguing post. This is certainly a way to look at that sale. It's in a very select club by your assessment. Probably a few more of the pre hero DC's and certain Centaurs could be candidates too. 

I thought that lot might go much higher. Given what I thought a DA 2 CGC 9.2 would go for, $80K for the pair seems to put a low value on the DA 1 ashcan. To me the DA 1 was the key book, given its -- literally -- mythic status in the hobby. 

But it doesn't appear that many other people thought that way. 

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now that the Church copy of Suspense 3 has finally surfaced, it looks like virtually every single one of the Church copies in this short 12-issue run of Suspense Comics have now found their way into the marketplace.  The Heritage archives indicate the only exceptions to this are the Church copies for Suspense 4, Suspense 8, and Suspense 10.  hm

It would certainly be nice to see the Church copies of Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 since both of these issues do not yet have any high grade copies above 7.5 in the CGC Census Population Report to this point in time.  Especially since many have speculated that issue #4 might actually be the toughest to find in the entire run, while we all know about the classic and in-demand spider cover for issue #8.  I guess it's just a matter of being patient and waiting.  :taptaptap:

Would love to see pics of the full Church Suspense run! Just about every copy of Suspense Comics 1 - 12 above 9.0 is the Church or Crippen copy. The 4 is the toughest one to find, but 8 is my fave. :cloud9:

suspense8.jpg

12 hours ago, Moondog said:

Did anyone get an answer as to why it got an NG in the first place? The other ashcans I have seen slabbed all had regular grades. 

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

What an ugly label they've still got going there.  :p  I thought they were supposed to be fixing it up a bit, or is this already their new and improved version.  doh!

Totally disappointed and rather surprised that the auction description listing does not have the back story as to where this "long lost" copy has been for the past few decades, especially when this would have certainly helped with the marketing aspect and increasing interest for this particular book.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

doh!

Totally disappointed and rather surprised that the auction description listing does not have the back story as to where this "long lost" copy has been for the past few decades, especially when this would have certainly helped with the marketing aspect and increasing interest for this particular book.  :frown:

Yep, I agree.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

doh!

Yep, I agree.

+1

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What an ugly label they've still got going there.  :p  I thought they were supposed to be fixing it up a bit, or is this already their new and improved version.  doh!

Me, too, but it's early yet.  Maybe they'll add some info by the time they publish the catalog in another six weeks or so.

16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I thought that lot might go much higher. Given what I thought a DA 2 CGC 9.2 would go for, $80K for the pair seems to put a low value on the DA 1 ashcan. To me the DA 1 was the key book, given its -- literally -- mythic status in the hobby. 

But it doesn't appear that many other people thought that way. 

I would have loved to have added it to my Action Funnies and Action Comics, but the NG just turned me off.  I asked Mark how he priced the pair and he said he really didn't do it that way.  In my head I had the DA 2 at $50,000.  That puts $30,000 on the DA ashcan, which seems a bit low to me.  I don't understand why they didn't sell each separately.  I think it hurt the overall valuation.

On March 18, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Gotham Kid said:

That seems to be a better scan of the book. The colours in the scan posted at the beginning of the thread did not look as "natural" as Heritages current scan here. I thought it might have been my tablet to some degree but after comparing both pix the current one is an improvement. 

23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I'm going to venture more will come with it's backstory. It would be kind of shocking to just throw up a key Church book that many even doubted existed with nary a word of whence it came.

Edited by N e r V