• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2017 at 8:05 AM, drbanner said:

Would love to see pics of the full Church Suspense run! Just about every copy of Suspense Comics 1 - 12 above 9.0 is the Church or Crippen copy. The 4 is the toughest one to find, but 8 is my fave. :cloud9:

suspense8.jpg

I'd love to see the Church Suspense 8, too.  Very tough book in high grade.  Is that your copy above?  Nice book! 

6 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Question, Bob....... were the books in bags and boards at that point ? I know at shows, just a couple years earlier, that the comics mostly were just loose in boxes with prices penciled on the back cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I believe the books were bagged but not boarded with price stickers on them. I was under the impression that he did it quite fast.

Here is Chuck's memory of the day. Pretty accurate. Most of the action happened while we were waiting in line to get in.  I love this quote:  "About six weeks after I had saved the collection from imminent destruction". Yeah, right...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg24.html

45 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I believe the books were bagged but not boarded with price stickers on them. I was under the impression that he did it quite fast.

Here is Chuck's memory of the day. Pretty accurate. Most of the action happened while we were waiting in line to get in.  I love this quote:  "About six weeks after I had saved the collection from imminent destruction". Yeah, right...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg24.html

Wasn't the story that Edgar was in the hospital at the time the deal was being made and that his family had a lot of resentment over the dough he had spent over the years on comics? Supposedly they had already tossed some of his magazines and other stuff.  Not completely implausible that they might have been considering throwing away the comics.  Been a while since I read Chuck's account, but, as I remember, it's fascinating stuff. 

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Anyone know why the consignor to heritage had the book sent to CBCS vs CGC (just curious)

You wouldn't think it would have been Heritage's first choice if they had been approached while the book was still raw. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Wasn't the story that Edgar was in the hospital at the time the deal was being made and that his family had a lot of resentment over the dough he had spent over the years on comics? Supposedly they had already tossed some of his magazines and other stuff.  Not completely implausible that they might have been considering throwing away the comics.  Been a while since I read Chuck's account, but, as I remember, it's fascinating stuff. 

Wasn't it also speculated that a lot of the Funny Animal and Disney issues were pitched prior to Chuck showing up? That would explain their general absence from the collection.

1 minute ago, october said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Wasn't it also speculated that a lot of the Funny Animal and Disney issues were pitched prior to Chuck showing up? That would explain their general absence from the collection.

Does ring a bell.  I also think I remember Chuck saying (or maybe writing in the account on his site) that he didn't realize that Edgar was still alive when he was negotiating with the family. 

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You wouldn't think it would have been Heritage's first choice if they had been approached while the book was still raw. 

thought I saw Steve B post he had gotten the book in  via heritage for a consignor...maybe I mis read?

Just now, G.A.tor said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

thought I saw Steve B post he had gotten the book in  via heritage for a consignor...maybe I mis read?

That well could be right.  Seems odd, though, unless the consignor had a strong preference (as Magik Woo did).  With this book my guess is that the price won't be affected. 

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes and yes it is a great story. I went back and read the whole thing last night. The stuff dreams are made of. I have often wondered what the "closet" looked like through Chuck's eyes when the door opened. Easily one of the biggest moments in his life.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes and yes it is a great story. I went back and read the whole thing last night. The stuff dreams are made of. I have often wondered what the "closet" looked like through Chuck's eyes when the door opened. Easily one of the biggest moments in his life.

Any truth to the rumors that the Church family had to mopped up the big wet spot on the floor in front of the closet door and they also had to give Chuck a spare pair of pants to change into once he opened the closet door?  lol

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
31 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That well could be right.  Seems odd, though, unless the consignor had a strong preference (as Magik Woo did).  With this book my guess is that the price won't be affected. 

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Heritage is pretty forthcoming about the why. They say the comic was consigned raw. They submitted it to CGC first and were told it would get a 9.0. CBCS gave it a 9.2.

The transparency is refreshing don't think it changes hammer price. Mile High is Mile High.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

:whatthe:

17 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:

The transparency is refreshing don't think it changes hammer price.

Yeah. It won't change hammer price. Now that buyer's in the know he can easily reslab for the ACCURATE grade.

My oh my.

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Crud, if that had sent it to me, I would have graded it 9.6.  Sadly it would have been lost in the mail when I shipped it back to them. :insane:

oh yeah, and there is that little issue where my opinion on grading really doesn't matter to anyone (myself included)

2 hours ago, Pickie said:

Yeah. It won't change hammer price. Now that buyer's in the know he can easily reslab for the ACCURATE grade.

My oh my.

plenty examples of cgc giving lax grades to mile high books.  check h.a. archives for the 9.2 suspense 5.  

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

plenty examples of cgc giving lax grades to mile high books.  check h.a. archives for the 9.2 suspense 5.  

The three approaches to grading Church books:  lax, laxer, and laxative. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:12 AM, lou_fine said:

Now that the Church copy of Suspense 3 has finally surfaced, it looks like virtually every single one of the Church copies in this short 12-issue run of Suspense Comics have now found their way into the marketplace.  The Heritage archives indicate the only exceptions to this are the Church copies for Suspense 4, Suspense 8, and Suspense 10.  hm

It would certainly be nice to see the Church copies of Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 since both of these issues do not yet have any high grade copies above 7.5 in the CGC Census Population Report to this point in time.  Especially since many have speculated that issue #4 might actually be the toughest to find in the entire run, while we all know about the classic and in-demand spider cover for issue #8.  I guess it's just a matter of being patient and waiting.  :taptaptap:

I know this will appear as a first post for all of you, but my older stage name (Et-Es-Go) has not been merged with the new (Holyoke).  I have been collecting some of these esoteric titles since the early 90s'.  For whatever reason the Et-Es-Go/Holyoke titles were a big focus of my collecting, and still are.  It is the allure of rarity, the satisfaction of just finding any copy let alone grade that was the fun in the hunt.  As you delved deeper into the history of how these books came to be it became even more interesting.  These dog eared survivors of a then disposable medium that have survived to current day are now pursued and coveted by our collecting community, and that some specimens have survived to current day in nearly perfect condition is really miraculous.  

What I find interesting about the quote I have copied here is that the Mile High copies of Suspense #4, #8, and #10 are not in the current CGC census.  There are examples of Mile High copies having "escaped" into the wild only later to be found.  It is likely that these three books are out there, but folks just don't realize what they have?  They may also grade well below the 7.5 CGC census (as noted in the quote) if they can be identified.

I can tell you from years of personal experience that the Suspense #4 is the hardest book by far to find of anything that Et-Es-Go/Continental Comics ever published.  This is one that still flies under the radar for most collectors.  CGS census has only 12 copies registered against 32 copies for Suspense #3 for comparison.  I will be interested to see if these lost Mile High books surface with the re-newed interest in the title this last year.