• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspense Comics #3 Church copy just showed up
2 2

386 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

imo, not a lot, tho' obviously some of our fellow boardies disagree.  steve's hoarding is imagined to have a greater impact, because he is prominent.  but, frankly, our own g.a.tor is petty darned prominent, and his long box of copies of whiz 22 hasn't seemed to do much for the book.

Actually, last year I made a raw 3.0 sell for  over $1000 on heritage!

in 2009  I bought every copy of superman 14 that came on the public market ... it was 24 copies and I believe I single-handedly raised the market about 20% by bidding/winning them

made all 24 available at nycc 2010, at a marginal markup , and sold the majority that weekend

8 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

imo, not a lot, tho' obviously some of our fellow boardies disagree.  steve's hoarding is imagined to have a greater impact, because he is prominent.  but, frankly, our own g.a.tor is petty darned prominent, and his long box of copies of whiz 22 hasn't seemed to do much for the book.

8 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

That's cause there are none available in the marketplace cause Gator has them all!

On 2017-03-14 at 2:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

I'll leave that to Vincent at Metropolis. He has a much more photogenic hairdo.

:mad:

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

made all 24 available at nycc 2010, at a marginal markup , and sold the majority that weekend

Is that the time you were set up next to the bathroom? Wheeling and dealin' high end GA from the can!

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

as to the extraneous factor affecting the fantastic 3's allure, I'd bet, tho' we could never prove it, that ernie's use of the suspense represents a march larger factor in the latter's prestige than does fishler's hoarding of the former. 

I guess Ernie's magic didn't work with the Double Action Comics #2 since that was the book that was featured in Volume 2 of the Gerber Photo-Journal Guide to GA Comics, similar to how Suspense 3 was featured in the first Volume.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess Ernie's magic didn't work with the Double Action Comics #2 since that was the book that was featured in Volume 2 of the Gerber Photo-Journal Guide to GA Comics, similar to how Suspense 3 was featured in the first Volume.  hm

Lou, I'm not a big follower of the book, but I think it's even less seldom offered than the two #3's. Didn't CC auction a copy along with an ashcan recently to gangbuster returns, or am I thinking of another book? 

29 minutes ago, sagii said:
59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Lou, I'm not a big follower of the book, but I think it's even less seldom offered than the two #3's. Didn't CC auction a copy along with an ashcan recently to gangbuster returns, or am I thinking of another book? 

I assume you must be talking about this CC auction listing from December of 2016:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=678005

Looks like the pairing of the 2 Double Action's sold for $80K.  Not sure how representative this dollar value since there are apparently less than 10 copies of this Double Action 2 and hence, they hardly ever show up in the marketplace.  (shrug)

Rarity to a certain extent will often times increase the value of a book as they show up in the marketplace, but extreme rarity will often result in decreased demand and decreased value since the book hardly ever turns up in the marketplace.  especially since you need some kind of market turnover in the book to maintain interest and to drive the prices up.  Hence, if you have no book, collectors lose interest after awhile and prices do not go up as fast.  hm

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I assume you must be talking about this CC auction listing from December of 2016:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=678005

Looks like the pairing of the 2 Double Action's sold for $80K.  Not sure how representative this dollar value since there are apparently less than 10 copies of this Double Action 2 and hence, they hardly ever show up in the marketplace.  (shrug)

Rarity to a certain extent will often times increase the value of a book as they show up in the marketplace, but extreme rarity will often result in decreased demand and decreased value since the book hardly ever turns up in the marketplace.  especially since you need some kind of market turnover in the book to maintain interest and to drive the prices up.  Hence, if you have no book, collectors lose interest after awhile and prices do not go up as fast.  hm

Very intriguing post. This is certainly a way to look at that sale. It's in a very select club by your assessment. Probably a few more of the pre hero DC's and certain Centaurs could be candidates too. 

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Very intriguing post. This is certainly a way to look at that sale. It's in a very select club by your assessment.

+1 / I generally agree with lou_fine's observation, too. It's fun to contemplate that sale in particular for it in turn appears as something special. A close to unique-item combined with a unique item, both with major appeal to GA fandom? :cloud9: IMHO the buyer couldn't go wrong with that purchase.

Edited by Pickie

On 14/3/2017 at 4:49 AM, lou_fine said:
On 13/3/2017 at 0:32 PM, tth2 said:

Fantastic 3 is notoriously difficult to find in anything above low grade because of its spine issues.  Suspense 3 can be found in low grade, mid grade and VF.  This Suspense 3 is one increment higher than Magik's copy.  The Church Fantastic 3 is so far ahead of any other copy known that it is truly one of a kind.  It's either go big in this auction or accept that a 5.0 or 5.5 is the best copy one will probably ever own of this book.

+1

+ 2  (thumbsu

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, Pickie said:

+1 / I generally agree with lou_fine's observation, too. It's fun to contemplate that sale in particular for it in turn appears as something special. A close to unique-item combined with a unique item, both with major appeal to GA fandom? :cloud9: IMHO the buyer couldn't go wrong with that purchase.

One-two punch for sure! Lengthy discussions on Items and transactions like these are part of what makes the Boards so fun!

1 hour ago, sagii said:

One-two punch for sure! Lengthy discussions on Items and transactions like these are part of what makes the Boards so fun!

Yes. This has been an interesting thread for sure.

11 hours ago, sagii said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Very intriguing post. This is certainly a way to look at that sale. It's in a very select club by your assessment. Probably a few more of the pre hero DC's and certain Centaurs could be candidates too. 

Yes, indeed!

Speaking of pre-hero DC books, when was the last time you saw a New Fun Comics #2 or a New Comics #2 available in the marketplace?   :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I guess we'll finally see some up for sale since I believe Jon Berk had acquire some of his copies way back in the late 80's.   This is why I call Berk's collection a generational collection because many of the rarer books such as these early pre-hero DC's and magazines like Wow only comes around once in a generation.  hm   :cloud9:

On 3/14/2017 at 9:41 AM, N e r V said:

I live in the San Diego area. I bought a condo in 1999 for $165,000.00. I lived in it and rented in out a bit the last 5 years I owned it until I sold it in 2014 for over $600,000.00. Aside from the long term profit I factor in the tax breaks I got, money saved by living in it (no rent),  money made by renting it out and the quality of life from living near the beach (my ideal at least). Right now I'm back in a house which will rise and fall over time but will continue its march forward since it's near the ocean as a investment.

With stocks if the novice spends a little time with research you can compete. I purchased I believe around $1000.00 of Qualcomm stock in 1993. After many splits I had over a million dollars in it by 2000ish which I divided and gave to a couple of my younger sisters as a gift. I set up a portfolio for one of my cousins for $15,000.00 and had it up to $93,000.00 in 2 years before turning it over to them.

On 3/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

Couldn't someone who doesn't know the San Diego real estate market, the stock market or the vintage auto market just as easily make a bad investment? Couldn't someone make a better investment in the comic market if given good advice? There are certainly specific comic books which have appreciated at a far higher rate than any of the specific investments you mention.

Compared to the vintage comic book market (i.e. not the newsstand variant market lol), I see a lot more volatility when it comes to the equity markets and even in some cases, the real estate market.  Just ask any investors who put their money into Enron, Nortel, Bre-X, etc. or simply ask Bill Ackman and see how he is doing with his Valeant Pharmaceuticals investment:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-valeant-ackman-idUSKBN16K2KT

A $3B+ loss is a ton of lipstick to be wiping off a pig.  Or should we ask Steve Geppi how he is doing with his real estate investments or many of the other homeowners in some of the inner cities where their property values have just climbed back into the 5 figure range.  :cry:

Then of course, you have people like my better half who never fails to :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah: away all day with her friends about all of the missed opportunities since virtually all homes even on the poorer East side of the city are now into the 7 figures, while many homes on the west side are starting to see 8 figures well within their sights.  Thanks gawd prices have finally started to stabilize with government regulations coming into place.

As they always say, diversification is always a good strategy to reduce risk or volatility by putting your money into a variety of different assets.  As comic collectors, I see absolutely no problem with allocating a reasonable portion of this to vintage comic books, especially since we have "inside knowledge" when we comes to this particular marketplace due to our love for this hobby and can hopefully use it to our financial advantage at the same time.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Lou Fine, I don't disagree with that. You should never have all your eggs in one basket.

Not to muddy the thread to much more but I have to add that the biggest differences in say owning a million dollar comic book and a million dollar home is that you can live in a home but you still have to come up with either rent or a mortgage payment by owning that comic. There are tax breaks yearly involved with a home even though you do pay property taxes on it as well and if I sell it after making up to 250k I don't (usually) have to pay capital gains on the profit. A 250k profit on a comic sale is going to be hit with capital gains unless you sell it "under the table".

The stock market is pretty much tied up into everyone's life even if you never buy a single stock. I've found with just a little effort with researching a company (I buy what I know) you can make a pretty good profit over time. Three stocks I owned were pretty good drivers in my portfolio up until a few years ago (some have settled since then) and didn't require a genius IQ to buy into at the time. Apple (I believed Steve Jobs would turn them around in the late 1990's), Marvel (they are are Disney now which I also owned before. They were starting to have early success with movies after bankruptcy) and Sempra which is a local energy stock which was considered a stable investment but ended up a bit more than that. There's more I did equally well with but I used those 3 to show its not that difficult with a little effort and you really don't need to be a wall street genius.

I have a lot of respect (maybe envy) for the Bedrock's and Gators in the business since they seem to do pretty well and have such incredible books on a regular basis. I was a dealer (very part time) for a dozen years and got more than a idea of the effort involved in that business. 

If I make any money on my comics today it's by accident that everyone else seems to enjoy something that I like too. :)

On 3/15/2017 at 1:34 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 3/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, Straw-Man said:

as to the extraneous factor affecting the fantastic 3's allure, I'd bet, tho' we could never prove it, that ernie's use of the suspense represents a march larger factor in the latter's prestige than does fishler's hoarding of the former.  also, similar to the post of rarehighgrade, in my view the suspense does not "stand head and shoulders" above the canon of schomburg's covers; i certainly prefer others, tho' i do recognize how striking the s3 is.

This, my friends, is a classic "straw-man" argument.

I thought he drilled down to bedrock with that one. hm

On 3/9/2017 at 2:15 PM, VintageComics said:

ccabd54e-03fe-4a0f-b0f7-36576b141829_zps

Now that the Church copy of Suspense 3 has finally surfaced, it looks like virtually every single one of the Church copies in this short 12-issue run of Suspense Comics have now found their way into the marketplace.  The Heritage archives indicate the only exceptions to this are the Church copies for Suspense 4, Suspense 8, and Suspense 10.  hm

It would certainly be nice to see the Church copies of Suspense 4 and Suspense 8 since both of these issues do not yet have any high grade copies above 7.5 in the CGC Census Population Report to this point in time.  Especially since many have speculated that issue #4 might actually be the toughest to find in the entire run, while we all know about the classic and in-demand spider cover for issue #8.  I guess it's just a matter of being patient and waiting.  :taptaptap:

Seeing this picture again, I just realized what's the most beautiful color on the book.

It's neither the intense red nor the flashing yellow from the fireplace, it's the stunning blue of the sky! 

While having a full moon night ...

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 3/9/2017 at 2:15 PM, VintageComics said:

ccabd54e-03fe-4a0f-b0f7-36576b141829_zps

16 minutes ago, Pickie said:

Seeing this picture again, I just realized what's the most beautiful color on the book.

It's neither the intense red nor the flashing yellow from the fireplace, it's the stunning blue of the sky! 

While having a full moon night ...

No, I believe the most beautiful color the consignor is going to see is the color Green once this book is auctioned off.  :flipbait:   lol