• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

20180902_140446.jpg.a8f41a9f7b282d8f570a Awesome! @Get Marwood & I glad your having fun!!!

Yes the Campbell Spidey's look great even in a Mylar tomb, but too many for a completionist for sure! Give you Liberty or Give you comics :headbang: 

3 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

I enjoyed the little tour though. You made the mundane interesting...

I'm usually accused of the reverse Golders...

On 9/2/2018 at 7:31 PM, Gaard said:

somewhat off-topic, but kinda related...

message sent to Customer Service...

After perusing the census at length, I've concluded that the census differentiates between the US & UK versions on SOME comics but not all. Can you tell me if that is correct?

Example: X-men #101 - the census differentiates between the two, but Rawhide Kid #38 - it doesn't.

Thanks,
Mike

response ...

Mike,

That is correct.  Ultimately it is up to the graders final decision.

Regards,

10 hours ago, Gaard said:
On 9/3/2018 at 12:31 AM, Gaard said:

somewhat off-topic, but kinda related...

message sent to Customer Service...

After perusing the census at length, I've concluded that the census differentiates between the US & UK versions on SOME comics but not all. Can you tell me if that is correct?

Example: X-men #101 - the census differentiates between the two, but Rawhide Kid #38 - it doesn't.

Thanks,
Mike

response ...

Mike,

That is correct.  Ultimately it is up to the graders final decision.

Regards

Quite right too. Why have a consistent operational procedure / data recording guidelines when you can leave it up to the individual graders whim? I think the members of this forum have made it quite clear that these differences aren't important to them! 

At least you got a response Mike :eyeroll:

On 9/4/2018 at 1:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And we wondered who Gordon might have been, and what the secret to his happiness was:

20180902_102258.thumb.jpg.af9b235283882f1d2ed45145807f8567.jpg

For some reason the opening lines of Aqualung are running through my head right now...

On 9/4/2018 at 1:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

20180902_125651.thumb.jpg.01ab0dadc9342466641e00903e79d46f.jpg

Oh dear, are you sure you didn't accidentally go to a meeting of the Southwark hip replacement survivor bachelor's club? Seriously, the deomographic here does not bode well for the future of comic collecting in the UK. It looks like every model club event I have ever attended...

All jests aside, that was a great post, and it made me want to go to London again!

3 hours ago, AJD said:

For some reason the opening lines of Aqualung are running through my head right now...

That's reference has gone right over my head Andrew! Aqualung? Is it a band? hm

3 hours ago, AJD said:

Oh dear, are you sure you didn't accidentally go to a meeting of the Southwark hip replacement survivor bachelor's club? Seriously, the deomographic here does not bode well for the future of comic collecting in the UK. It looks like every model club event I have ever attended...

Tell me about it! And dodgy hips aside, there's no excuse for abstaining from soap and water for so long. To be fair, there are a few younglings who turn up. By that I mean 50 year olds. 

3 hours ago, AJD said:

All jests aside, that was a great post, and it made me want to go to London again!

Ah, bless you AJD. I had hoped for a little more interaction on it, but am grateful that you managed to break through the cloaking device (thumbsu

On 9/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

So, what did we get then? Well, a nice pile of Dells, Charltons and others. You can see them in our sister pence threads elsewhere. For this Marvel thread though? Nothing new, just this pile of books for the files:

pencers.thumb.jpg.e3ee37ff902159da74da5b5ce67c3584.jpg

None of you I'm sure will have wondered what I meant by buying the above books 'for the files'. Why would you? That would indicate an interest in the subject matter which would never do.

But anyone who collects comic images in the name of research will surely know the pain of not being able to find a 'decent' image. I have 3,017 Marvel images saved in the files. Many are scans from books that I own or have owned in the past and many have been lifted from various online sources. But I can't stand a bad image. I like them to look like one I have scanned myself. So, accordingly, I have a list of books needing an 'image upgrade'. Yes, that's right. That list exists. :eek:

There's only about a hundred books on it mind, and I'll get them in the end (best place to get them Jim). You would think the list would be populated with really early rare books but often it's 'bog standard' books like these 6 that follow, all of which have stubbornly refused to appear online with adequate style. 

They're nice though, aren't they :)

13.thumb.jpg.9977dd42863b28519a891c406ed67241.jpg  13b.thumb.jpg.5247b601e5257fa8d85a5a32cba6fe19.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.b422c116fab07244ce21ca1974cc8961.jpg 39.thumb.jpg.b2b831f42b02b59a05884b9c1dba939d.jpg

43.thumb.jpg.2066b93fd8d4bd2e041bef174f2a76c7.jpg 57.thumb.jpg.bcf2c9a5029871e323e5c1bf89ba033a.jpg

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's reference has gone right over my head Andrew! Aqualung? Is it a band? hm

Yes, my comedic stylings are always greatly improved by laborious explanations...

Aqualung (Ian Anderson/Jennie Anderson)

EMI Music (c) 1971

Sitting on a park bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent

17 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

I have to think at some point these are going to be valued like the Canadian Priced versions are.  Makes little sense to me that right now they fetch about 80% less on most books

Maybe. The Canadians are priced in cents though - most collectors couldn't tell their 60c from their 75c in my experience. Pence prices look 'alien' to the US collector, and scream out 'not the real thing' hence the historic reluctance to accept them as equals. Of course, we here in the pence threads no better....

39 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe. The Canadians are priced in cents though - most collectors couldn't tell their 60c from their 75c in my experience. Pence prices look 'alien' to the US collector, and scream out 'not the real thing' hence the historic reluctance to accept them as equals. Of course, we here in the pence threads no better....

We know better too.