• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

True.  I can see that changing or the gap closing 

Again, maybe. But look at my pence threads here as an indicator of interest - very little feedback from the community, which I accept and understand.  The majority of contributors are from my neck of the woods, or my board pals just being kind. I've been here two years now and not one US collector in all that time has said "cool, I need me a set of them!" That doesn't indicate an increasing interest in the books to me. I've been reading and hearing that the pence books will be more appreciated for years. It's like the latest cure for type 1 diabetes - always five years away, never comes.

AF15,  Hulk 1 etc - they may well go up, because of their importance. The rest?  I'm not so sure. I certainly hope so though. But rarity is not always a guarantee of financial prominence. If there is no, or a limited market for pence copies, there will be no price parity with cents copies, let alone the greater prices that pence books should in theory command given their comparative scarcity.

For the record, I'm not that fussed about value and keep only a passing interest in financial trends, so others who do may have a different view / story to tell. It suits me for prices to be lower,  as that means I can buy books reasonably for research purposes. My interest is what exists, what doesn't, and why. If all I leave behind when I die is the most comprehensive summary of US first printing pence priced books for every known publisher, I'll be happy.  Oh, and Miller variants. And that font stuff. And AUS price variants. And the 1999/2000 US price variants. In fact, all those little variations that so few care about :)

A little experiment,  while we're on the subject, subject to Roy accepting the challenge :wishluck:

Roy is one of the few US followers of this thread. Roy, if you would, as a widely respected and knowledgeable US dealer, if you had two identically graded ASM #1's, one pence, one cents, what % difference in price, if any,  would you set them at and why?

@VintageComics

I have 150+ silver and bronze age comics listed for 99p start price on eBay currently. Quite a few are pence copies and all are to end this weekend. There's some real gems there. Check them out if you're interested and looking for a bargain on some old books :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/barkeuk_sdwax/m.html?item=202420111163&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

img20180807_02241082.jpg

img20180807_02503296.jpg

img20180807_02515278.jpg

img20180807_02530669.jpg

img20180807_02535928.jpg

img20180807_03104167.jpg

img20180807_03125877.jpg

img20180807_03135740.jpg

img20180807_03150784.jpg

img20180807_03254116.jpg

img20180807_07555403.jpg

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

For the record, I'm not that fussed about value and keep only a passing interest in financial trends, so others who do may have a different view / story to tell. It suits me for prices to be lower,  as that means I can buy books reasonably for research purposes. My interest is what exists, what doesn't, and why. If all I leave behind when I die is the most comprehensive summary of US first printing pence priced books for every known publisher, I'll be happy.  Oh, and Miller variants. And that font stuff. And AUS price variants. And the 1999/2000 US price variants. In fact, all those little variations that so few care about :)

Not to mention your vast collection of Health & Efficiency!

On a serious note, it would be interesting to see what would happen if it were ever proven that the pence variants were the first true print?

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Not to mention your vast collection of Health & Efficiency!

How did you know about.....?

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

On a serious note, it would be interesting to see what would happen if it were ever proven that the pence variants were the first true print?

There's been a lot of speculation but no one knows the order. I doubt it would make a difference either way. 

In my font variant thread we see books with multiple cent fonts. Add in the pence versions and there are in some cases - e.g. Rawhide Kid 17 - four or five different 'versions' of the same 'first printing' book vying for the title of first printing (or first off the press to be more accurate). All good fun. 

I check this thread daily, but only now felt the time to come out of the shadows and tell my story. So I was lucky enough to spend my summers in Brighton with my grandparents in the mid-1970s.  I started out with simple stuff like Buster and Cor and Beano and as I got older started buying comics like 2000 AD in the original newspaper format.  As I became a “comic book collector” back home in California, I moved on to the UK versions of comics that I had purchased in the US like the Star Wars Weekly that sometimes had extra cover artwork.  The next step on my journey was buying the UK editions of the US comics so I wouldn’t miss any of the stories I was following back home as typically I was gone for 3 months at a time.  I could see right away that the UK versions of the US comics were identical with the exception of the price and the much cooler (in my opinion) banner across the top that read Marvel All-Colour Comics.  I would bring these comics back to the US and amaze my 15 year old friends with them.  It was a magical time in my life.  Unfortunately, I did not return after 1980 and so my connection to the UK comics was lost.  Recently, I’ve begun to get interested in them again as they are a link to that special time.  Here is my most recent acquisition.   Thanks for listening.  Paul~

CREATURES-ON-THE-LOOSE-FEATURING-MAN-WOLF-No-36.jpg

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Again, maybe. But look at my pence threads here as an indicator of interest - very little feedback from the community, which I accept and understand.  The majority of contributors are from my neck of the woods, or my board pals just being kind. I've been here two years now and not one US collector in all that time has said "cool, I need me a set of them!" That doesn't indicate an increasing interest in the books to me. I've been reading and hearing that the pence books will be more appreciated for years. It's like the latest cure for type 1 diabetes - always five years away, never comes.

AF15,  Hulk 1 etc - they may well go up, because of their importance. The rest?  I'm not so sure. I certainly hope so though. But rarity is not always a guarantee of financial prominence. If there is no, or a limited market for pence copies, there will be no price parity with cents copies, let alone the greater prices that pence books should in theory command given their comparative scarcity.

Well I’m US and just bought my second one so maybe it will change ;-)

5 hours ago, picon3 said:

I check this thread daily, but only now felt the time to come out of the shadows and tell my story. So I was lucky enough to spend my summers in Brighton with my grandparents in the mid-1970s.  I started out with simple stuff like Buster and Cor and Beano and as I got older started buying comics like 2000 AD in the original newspaper format.  As I became a “comic book collector” back home in California, I moved on to the UK versions of comics that I had purchased in the US like the Star Wars Weekly that sometimes had extra cover artwork.  The next step on my journey was buying the UK editions of the US comics so I wouldn’t miss any of the stories I was following back home as typically I was gone for 3 months at a time.  I could see right away that the UK versions of the US comics were identical with the exception of the price and the much cooler (in my opinion) banner across the top that read Marvel All-Colour Comics.  I would bring these comics back to the US and amaze my 15 year old friends with them.  It was a magical time in my life.  Unfortunately, I did not return after 1980 and so my connection to the UK comics was lost.  Recently, I’ve begun to get interested in them again as they are a link to that special time.  Here is my most recent acquisition.   Thanks for listening.  Paul~

CREATURES-ON-THE-LOOSE-FEATURING-MAN-WOLF-No-36.jpg

Ah, that's a great post and story Paul - thanks buddy. There's a special significance to the books of your youth I find. So charming, and rich in nostalgia. Post here as much as you like. Your taste in comics is as cool as your taste in cars (great signature line!) :)

P.S. Cor! was great wasn't it! :grin:

4 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Well I’m US and just bought my second one so maybe it will change ;-)

Ha! Excellent. Infect all your friends DrB, and we'll change the world! :headbang:

21 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A little experiment,  while we're on the subject, subject to Roy accepting the challenge :wishluck:

Roy is one of the few US followers of this thread. Roy, if you would, as a widely respected and knowledgeable US dealer, if you had two identically graded ASM #1's, one pence, one cents, what % difference in price, if any,  would you set them at and why?

@VintageComics

Roy must be busy. 

If any other dealers are reading - US or UK - drop in your thoughts :foryou:

On 9/6/2018 at 3:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

@VintageComics

I don't have a lot of experience with Pence variants but my understanding was that they used to be priced at half of their US Cents counterparts but that gap seems to be closing, likely due in no small part to the variant market expanding.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I don't have a lot of experience with Pence variants but my understanding was that they used to be priced at half of their US Cents counterparts but that gap seems to be closing, likely due in no small part to the variant market expanding.

The werewolf by night 32 GPA for the one I just bought was the UK versions went for 80% of the US based on two sale average

21 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

In my font variant thread we see books with multiple cent fonts. Add in the pence versions and there are in some cases - e.g. Rawhide Kid 17 - four or five different 'versions' of the same 'first printing' book vying for the title of first printing (or first off the press to be more accurate). All good fun. 

WTFT? (Where's the font thread?).

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Thanks Roy

3 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

The werewolf by night 32 GPA for the one I just bought was the UK versions went for 80% of the US based on two sale average

Cool. I've never used GPA - is it any good?

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:
On 9/7/2018 at 8:53 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

WTFT? (Where's the font thread?).

Have you got signatures turned on Gnash?

If so, it's this one:

sig_LI.thumb.jpg.9851f82556caf603bbf6a01be2c5a598.jpg

Signatures can be quite informative and fun, and you can turn off individual members ones if you want. To turn them on, go to 'Forums', 'My Settings', 'Signature Settings' and toggle the 'View Signatures' button here to green:

sig2.thumb.PNG.602858c924887c72f90fbc87aa2c90f3.PNG

You have been a welcome visitor to my threads and I'm grateful for your input and interest. I wouldn't want you to miss anything cool that might interest you, so if you ever want to see what I or any other member has posted over the years, go to the members profile and to the right select 'See All Activity'. Then select 'Topics' from the right and you'll see a full list of every thread that person has ever posted:

sma.thumb.PNG.8f247a1a6b9332bdb12ff4cf73be59d2.PNG

Here's the font variant thread here:

I actually created two but the first got ruined when photobucket mucked up the photos. So I started again with direct posted images. There is another thread on RHK17 with additional input - I'll see if I can find it. Back shortly :wishluck:

19 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Have you got signatures turned on Gnash?

If so, it's this one:

sig_LI.thumb.jpg.9851f82556caf603bbf6a01be2c5a598.jpg

Signatures can be quite informative and fun, and you can turn off individual members ones if you want. To turn them on, go to 'Forums', 'My Settings', 'Signature Settings' and toggle the 'View Signatures' button here to green:

sig2.thumb.PNG.602858c924887c72f90fbc87aa2c90f3.PNG

You have been a welcome visitor to my threads and I'm grateful for your input and interest. I wouldn't want you to miss anything cool that might interest you, so if you ever want to see what I or any other member has posted over the years, go to the members profile and to the right select 'See All Activity'. Then select 'Topics' from the right and you'll see a full list of every thread that person has ever posted:

sma.thumb.PNG.8f247a1a6b9332bdb12ff4cf73be59d2.PNG

Here's the font variant thread here:

I actually created two but the first got ruined when photobucket mucked up the photos. So I started again with direct posted images. There is another thread on RHK17 with additional input - I'll see if I can find it. Back shortly :wishluck:

Right, that's lovely, thanks. I'll have to check 'em later, decorating etc. still to do. Signatures, don't start talking technology to me, I've only just learnt you can clean the screens on these things!(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Right, that's lovely, thanks. I'll have to check 'em later, decorating etc. still to do. Signatures, don't start talking technology to me, I've only just learnt you can clean the screens on these things!(thumbsu

:grin:

If you do read the font thread, tell me what you think of my theory here Gnash regarding the link to pence books - no one responded to it :sorry:

On 8/26/2018 at 2:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Further to the previous post, and sticking to the subject of what may or may not exist, I think I've made a bit of a breakthrough in my research :)

In my 'font variations' thread, I posted yesterday that I was compiling a summary of all the early Marvels which I had found to have US Cents price font variations - here's the post:

In it I say "There is a tangible link, oddly enough (given it's me) to the presence or otherwise of pence priced books"

Have a look at this extract from the summary chart I have produced for some of the 'funny girl' titles (sorry I can't enlarge it):

1792485946_missinglist.thumb.PNG.6e7a473eaac1de26f87e47642f0caf3b.PNG

I have yet to find a pence copy for 'A Date With Millie', 'Kathy' and 'Love Romances'. Look at the summary and you'll see that every cents copy has the same 10c US font. I have found no variations of them. Each has this style of bold 10c font: 1799940170_6USFatcrop.PNG.c01982acd3ea0f6c77c9d922c7ded916.PNG

Now look at 'My Girl Pearl', 'Patsy And Hedy' and 'Patsy Walker'. In all three cases, the presence of a confirmed pence price has a corresponding cents price with a different font to the US copies that have no pence copy. For the pence copies, I have found no examples of the bold 10c font style - only the style that mirrors the pence font.

Where there is a pence copy, the US cents font mirrors it. Where there is no confirmed pence copy, the cents font reverts to the bold 10c style only.

The pattern is so clear and consistent that it could be argued that the presence of this font style 1799940170_6USFatcrop.PNG.c01982acd3ea0f6c77c9d922c7ded916.PNG for these titles indicates no pence copy will be found hm

Here's an enlarged shot of 'Patsy & Hedy'. If my theory holds water, we'll never find a pence copy of 72, 73 or 74:

pah.PNG.2aac4fb6a26cfc6383d677a60e45ac68.PNG

It's still early days though, and I have 20 titles to process in the font variation research, but I thought this was a significant enough early observation to share. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

:)

14 hours ago, Drbearsec said:
15 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I had previously thought that the percentage had risen to 70 or so % so that seems to fall in line with my experience.

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
14 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Cool. I've never used GPA - is it any good?

GPA tracks sales of all CGC related books and differentiates UK editions from American editions.