• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Price Variants
16 16

2,571 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Blipping hell!

Is it yours or did you find it in Englandshire?

Bless you Harry, for spotting the significance. That book has been on the missing list since I started it 10 years ago. I spotted it sold on ebay yesterday. It didn't come up on any of my searches otherwise I'd have bid hard.

It completes the gap picture nicely doesn't it.

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment mate. I'm glad it was you. Signing off now.

Steve 

Sweet Blip,Steve! Still my favourite story from the Marvel Montsterworks I picked up as a kid.Always remembered that one as it was the one tale in the whole book that had a single page different.Looked like it was a photostat right off of a physical comic,while the rest didn't have that pixelation.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:50 AM, porcupine48 said:

Sweet Blip,Steve! Still my favourite story from the Marvel Montsterworks I picked up as a kid.Always remembered that one as it was the one tale in the whole book that had a single page different.Looked like it was a photostat right off of a physical comic,while the rest didn't have that pixelation.

Cheers Jim!

When you look at the updated chart, it's easy to see why you'd put your money on certain books not existing:

mp.thumb.PNG.7e8bf5d901de6c9406f3e330a65a49a7.PNG

7 hours ago, rakehell said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b358839a3f976b17cc6d070a88da525b.jpg

This is currently up on (Fe)e-Bay UK with a starting bid of £10. I'd be bidding on it myself if it didn't have the gratuitous T&P stamp.

Still, not one I see very often.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/journey-into-mystery-71-marvel-silver-age/253681607659?hash=item3b109a23eb:g:mQ8AAOSw~SlbHXJ4

:whatthe:

Isn't it odd how you see nothing for years and then they all come along at once. I don't think people appreciate quite how scarce some of these early pence copies are. I'll be bidding, so I can do a big update post if I win. Gotta find a 70 now.

Great spot rakehell. It's the first one I've seen since I started this :headbang:

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't think people appreciate quite how scarce some of these early pence copies are.

You're right, Marwood. The pre-hero Marvel pence copies are thin on the ground, much less in high grade. Rare as rocking-horse poop.

I'd be bidding against you, but I'm a fussy bleeder. I don't mind the odd T&P stamp when necessary, but I can't abide the things on lovely pence printed covers.

Good luck, mate. I'll be watching...:ph34r:

6 hours ago, rakehell said:

You're right, Marwood. The pre-hero Marvel pence copies are thin on the ground, much less in high grade. Rare as rocking-horse poop.

I'd be bidding against you, but I'm a fussy bleeder. I don't mind the odd T&P stamp when necessary, but I can't abide the things on lovely pence printed covers.

Cheers rake. I won't go too mad, as it's more for the research / posting here really. As for scarcity, you can see how long I've been at this and some of the recent finds are the only copies I've ever seen. It may be that some issues came over in lower numbers for reasons now lost in time as I'm a firm believer that if it exists,  it will surface sooner or later.  But when you only see one copy in ten years - and it's hopefully clear how hard I've been looking - then you have to wonder whether your copy is the only one!

They'll all cotton on one day....

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

But when you only see one copy in ten years - and it's hopefully clear how hard I've been looking - then you have to wonder whether your copy is the only one!

Yeah, I've been collecting for over forty years, in the US & in Penceland & that is the only copy of JIM #71 that I've seen (cents or pence) that wasn't just a picture in a book.

Like I said, rocking-horse poop. 

Also, it is abundantly clear how hard you've been working & I for one appreciate your persistence. I've got my own spreadsheets, all based on your lists. So, cheers for that.

The hunt continues...

Chin chin. "Two pints of cider and two large gins. Ice in the cider."

:tink:

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers rake. I won't go too mad, as it's more for the research / posting here really. As for scarcity, you can see how long I've been at this and some of the recent finds are the only copies I've ever seen. It may be that some issues came over in lower numbers for reasons now lost in time as I'm a firm believer that if it exists,  it will surface sooner or later.  But when you only see one copy in ten years - and it's hopefully clear how hard I've been looking - then you have to wonder whether your copy is the only one!

I have quite a few Australian comics for which my copy is the source of all extant internet images. The first time I checked the GCD and thought "hey, that's the copy I just bought - what are the odds?" Now it's more surprising to find a different one!

7 hours ago, rakehell said:

Yeah, I've been collecting for over forty years, in the US & in Penceland & that is the only copy of JIM #71 that I've seen (cents or pence) that wasn't just a picture in a book.

Like I said, rocking-horse poop. 

Also, it is abundantly clear how hard you've been working & I for one appreciate your persistence. I've got my own spreadsheets, all based on your lists. So, cheers for that.

The hunt continues...

Chin chin. "Two pints of cider and two large gins. Ice in the cider."

:tink:

PM incoming :headbang:

tumblr_n1knxl5iy31qcv9zpo10_250.gif.af1a28dc35fe98f36ca1397200f8d8e3.gif

6 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Why would anyone put a T&P stamp on a pence book? 

I hope you win it, Steve.

For what it's worth I won't be bidding against you.

To make sure Harry. And thanks :headbang:

4 hours ago, AJD said:

I have quite a few Australian comics for which my copy is the source of all extant internet images. The first time I checked the GCD and thought "hey, that's the copy I just bought - what are the odds?" Now it's more surprising to find a different one!

All this fuss about one in fifty and one in a hundred variants... Some of our price variants are one in one! As I said, they'll all wake up one day  AJD :headbang:

On 3/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, rakehell said:

Marwood? Will there be an Archie page on your list of other publishers with pence variants? Don't mean to add to your workload (Sterling job so far, BTW). lol

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, AJD said:

I've been meaning to ask you - how do you search 'comics' on Australia eBay?  There doesn't seem to be a dedicated category.  I'm trying to find more Australian parachute/paratroop covered comics.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I've been meaning to ask you - how do you search 'comics' on Australia eBay?  There doesn't seem to be a dedicated category.  I'm trying to find more Australian parachute/paratroop covered comics.

Hi.

Log into ebay.australia and in the search drop down list click on Books, Magazines.

Then on the list on the left you will see "comics".

The search options are by decade and don't forget to tick the "Australia only" or you'll be swamped with comics from the US and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, Redshade said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Hi.

Log into ebay.australia and in the search drop down list click on Books, Magazines.

The search options are by decade and don't forget to tick the "Australia only" or you'll be swamped with comics from the US and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!   I will give it a try!

1 hour ago, Redshade said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Hi.

Hope this helps.

That is frustrating - after I get to comic books, if I try parachute, paratroop, paratroops, it flips me into all categories.  Books/Magazines is one of them, but the comic book subcategory disappears.  I don't know if that means the search doesn't work, or there are no comic books under those search terms.

10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That is frustrating - after I get to comic books, if I try parachute, paratroop, paratroops, it flips me into all categories.  Books/Magazines is one of them, but the comic book subcategory disappears.  I don't know if that means the search doesn't work, or there are no comic books under those search terms.

I think it must be the latter. Perhaps try and be less specific with broader searches such as "war" or "WWII" or some such?

On 6/13/2018 at 11:03 AM, rakehell said:

I'm afraid I got outbid Rake 1590675312_SadAristocat.gif.da752f0419a38f79750c90449641e2d7.gif

Quite a strong price for a lower grade copy - £51 at the close:

2.thumb.PNG.ca7920e365cc372c06b6d52e54ebfed6.PNG

Given how scarce it is, someone got a bargain.

The find brings us up to 3,012 confirmed pence books now. Only time will tell if the other four missing JIM's exist:

1.PNG.539510d22f8c1aecab9ab85a387b3c7f.PNG

I've ticked four books off of the missing list in a short space of time now - JIM 71, TTA 15 and KCO 102 & 105. Amazing really that none of those four showed up in all the years previous that I've been hunting.

Fingers crossed for more to come...:wishluck:

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've ticked four books off of the missing list in a short space of time now - JIM 71, TTA 15 and KCO 102 & 105. Amazing really that none of those four showed up in all the years previous that I've been hunting.

That's great, Steve! I didn't realise the JIM #71 was on the missing list. Glad I could help in the hunt!

Again, I'll be watching...:ph34r: