• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BATGIRL starring Leslie Grace (2022?)
5 5

471 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Either way I refuse to believe a movie with JK Simmons, Michael Keaton, and the legendary return of Brendan Fraser is somehow worse than Morbius, a movie that they deemed worthy or releasing TWICE :D 
Just give us trash films, no body is expecting Nolan or Endgame quality here, I would rather a trash release than nothing!

Oh, I would much have prefered they release it also, whatever it is. 

I imagine that will still happen.  Someday.  In some way. 

How many completed movies do we know of that were never, ever released at all?  I think there was a Jerry Lewis one?  

I'm pulling this out of my butt.

Maybe they are shelving it for a write off this year to offset the costs of a surprise release next year? They can say because fans demanded it or whatever.

Again, this is completely made up by me with no facts to back it up.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, D84 said:

I'm so glad I'm not on social media. It's more like a social disease.

Stuff like this shakes my faith in humanity.  

I blame internet culture and pretend that at least some of these people are not complete trash human beings, but people who just can't control themselves typing out every thought that comes into their heads, due to the safety of internet anonymity. 

On 8/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, D84 said:

That sounds like a Bryan Adams song.

'The only clothes I can never pass, 

Is the one with my fine arse. 

Edited by Cat

On 8/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, Axelrod said:

Stuff like this shakes my faith in humanity.  

I blame internet culture and pretend that at least some of these people are not complete trash human beings, but people who just can't control themselves typing out every thought that comes into their heads, due to the safety of internet anonymity. 

20040319-umO0zG4o@2x.thumb.jpg.fa0f38fe1e1772f8d2a95351f49b9440.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, Axelrod said:

It’s called reading between the lines.  Like, this is more or less what I would expect them to say to try and save face, as opposed to “this movie sucks” and insulting everyone involved for no reason.  

Is it reading between the lines or forcing a self-designed narrative?

WB-Discovery didn't have to give any reason for their decision other than it was a strategic decision. They went further and noted it was a change in theatrical expectations, and that the decision had nothing to do with the performances. If anything, they were trying to make it clear the new standards and strategy (theater or streaming) were part of the contributors.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, D84 said:

I'm so glad I'm not on social media. It's more like a social disease.

There is one Twitter account (Matches Mallone I think is the handle) that posts daily for years how much he hates Batman v Superman. Religiously. And it pleases them (he/she?) when people respond to the post how they disagree. If anything, it motivates them even more to post more than once a day on the topic when that happens.

I just assumed it was a certain account on here from years of "Oh goody - bad DC news - now I can state yet again my thoughts on BVS".

:nyah:

An interesting point to consider, there could be lots of corporate shenanigans here then we are not privy too (as being a 'bad movie' hasn't stopped anyone from releasing a poor previewed movie before and isn't often enough on its own to scrap something outright):

(Click for the full thread, three more tweets in that chain)

Also there is one other person on twitter who has seen the footage and is confirming what the movie was about (was involved with the production and can now freely talk about it being Year One story), and it sounds like basically Brandon Fraiser stole the show, so that alone would have made it worth seeing just for me even if I wasn't already a big fan of her Year One story.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

There is one Twitter account (Matches Mallone I think is the handle) that posts daily for years how much he hates Batman v Superman. Religiously. And it pleases them (he/she?) when people respond to the post how they disagree. If anything, it motivates them even more to post more than once a day on the topic when that happens.

I just assumed it was a certain account on here from years of "Oh goody - bad DC news - now I can state yet again my thoughts on BVS".

Maybe we can fix this by forcing Twitter users to be sterilized as part of the terms of service? 

On 8/3/2022 at 10:29 AM, D84 said:

I'm pulling this out of my butt.

Maybe they are shelving it for a write off this year to offset the costs of a surprise release next year? They can say because fans demanded it or whatever.

Again, this is completely made up by me with no facts to back it up.

To best of my knowledge; To release at a future juncture they will need to repay the write-off plus interest....which means a larger cost for the film.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, MAR1979 said:

From an actuarial standpoint the tax-write off represented sounder fiscal ground.  Looking into it any deeper is divergent from Warner/Discovery's only actual goal of $$$$. Of course that would make for a boring short thread :)

Agree-- let's all remember these big studio films are profit driven, we're not talking art for art sake type films here.   For the most part we're in bloated CGI laden over produced pinup shot films with far more style than substance.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder what will happen when s/he one day puts the pipe down.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

Is it reading between the lines or forcing a self-designed narrative?

WB-Discovery didn't have to give any reason for their decision other than it was a strategic decision. They went further and noted it was a change in theatrical expectations, and that the decision had nothing to do with the performances. If anything, they were trying to make it clear the new standards and strategy (theater or streaming) were part of the contributors.

It is pretty easy to recognize a statement that was filtered through a PR department. And yes they do have to give reasons for things like this because they are publicly traded. You got bad news? You soften the blow. Movie was terrible? No, it just doesn't align with our vision moving forward. It is nonsense to avoid throwing anyone under the bus. Yeah they'll be working with the Batgirl again creators in the future, right. :eyeroll:

On 8/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, Sauce Dog said:

"Just think of how much we could make by NOT releasing Batgirl!"
FZPHfSZWAAAGfp8.thumb.jpeg.b8a6f790c167fe0a38cf5d13004ab41a.jpeg

Is it better to release it, lose money, get swamped with bad PR and destroy the Batgirl name?   There's a reason there has never been a 2nd Howard the Duck movie despite it being a good character.