• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

I brought out a bunch of copies last week to prep to offer at summer cons. 

Have had a few inquiries from folks for copies but up till now I was in a hold period. 

Have sold a couple of copies privately for what i consider strong to very strong prices (basically just took offers) and have a few folks making offers on a 3rd copy now (thats where I've halted pre con season sales)

i wanted to get some more data points to help me establish a fmv range. Guess we will see if I'm priced too high, too low or just not a good seller this summer! 

35 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Have had a few inquiries from folks for copies but up till now I was in a hold period. 

Have sold a couple of copies privately for what i consider strong to very strong prices (basically just took offers) and have a few folks making offers on a 3rd copy now (thats where I've halted pre con season sales)

i wanted to get some more data points to help me establish a fmv range. Guess we will see if I'm priced too high, too low or just not a good seller this summer! 

You're a good seller lol :foryou:

39 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

I believe you came into the Vintage Comic market full force the last few years. BTW, you have awesome books in your signature. :cloud9:

Thank you! And yes, I have been hanging around the market a bit more seriously for just over a year. But its a cool place to be. ?

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

My thoughts on this are simple:

1. If the average price of lets say 4.0 is now 25-30k (up to 38k i think) will enough collectors/dealers be willing to lose thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in panic selling to really overall glut the market and bring down all copies in and around the range and under? Like will the guys paying 45-60k now for 5.0's really be willing to unload them at 25-30k just a year later, in droves?

My thoughts on this are also simple and just comes from basic mathematics and common sense.

I hope you do realize there have been only a handful of nosebleed prices paid for these mid-grade copies of AF 15's versus hundreds of them that have been brought at fractions of these record prices over the past decade or so.

So, if prices on AF 15's are taking a pause or dropping off slightly, guess which group would have s much larger impact on prices going forward.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Well now I have egg on my face, cause here's Goldman's full quote: Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.

So i guess some guesses here more educated then ones. One day I'm gonna read the entire AF15 Club thread going back years. See who was more on the mark, if that at all is possible. 

54 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

My thoughts on this are also simple and just comes from basic mathematics and common sense.

I hope you do realize there have been only a handful of nosebleed prices paid for these mid-grade copies of AF 15's versus hundreds of them that have been brought at fractions of these record prices over the past decade or so.

So, if prices on AF 15's are taking a pause or dropping off slightly, guess which group would have s much larger impact on prices going forward.  hm

There sure is a lot of "you'll be sorry for getting that AF15" going on in this thread lately. Any suggestions what you would rather collectors buy? I'll be glad to shoot holes in any suggestion. (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

There sure is a lot of "you'll be sorry for getting that AF15" going on in this thread lately. Any suggestions what you would rather collectors buy? I'll be glad to shoot holes in any suggestion. (thumbsu

I'm looking to add more af15 to my collection, hoping to show my updated inventory by september

Edited by Spiderturtle

48 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Well now I have egg on my face, cause here's Goldman's full quote: Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.

So i guess some guesses here more educated then ones. One day I'm gonna read the entire AF15 Club thread going back years. See who was more on the mark, if that at all is possible. 

Ever since i joined the boards, ive bought as many af15 as i could afford.  Bought all types of grades, from 0.5-7.0.  Upgraded along the way.  It's  worked out pretty well for me.

Edited by Spiderturtle

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

I'm looking to add more af15 to my collection, hoping to show my updated inventory by september

Wonder where you're gonna add to your hoard?  G.A.tor aint sellin'!  lol

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

If i followed the naysayers  for the last 10 years; i'd be looking from the outside in.   The easiest argument is that too much supply(usually the golden age guys).   But i am surprised of the 5.0 sales for $50k+.  It was a $10k book less than 10 years ago

I've used AF 15's to supply my golden age first appearance Hero habit .  It's the book I've always wanted and now I don't even know how many I've flipped over the years  (which makes me sad actually)  Just sold a low grade copy last week