• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

Tough to figure out an exact price per point on AF 15, let alone other books that suffer from marvel chipping.  There will always be a range.  It's all about eye appeal!  The better the eye appeal, sometimes regardless of the grade, the higher price it will sell for.

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

Tough to figure out an exact price per point on AF 15, let alone other books that suffer from marvel chipping.  There will always be a range.  It's all about eye appeal!  The better the eye appeal, sometimes regardless of the grade, the higher price it will sell for.

There's also a range based on grade.

There's been a lot of flux right now and I don't think any real pattern has settled down yet. The book is more expensive but exactly how much more expensive is a bit of a grey area right now (to me anyway).

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

There's also a range based on grade.

There's been a lot of flux right now and I don't think any real pattern has settled down yet. The book is more expensive but exactly how much more expensive is a bit of a grey area right now (to me anyway).

Yep, there is indeed a range based on grade, but lately, i do not know anymore especially the 8.0 copy that recently sold..  Outlier?  Who knows. Definitely need more data points per grade to study the pattern better. But, I think lower to mid grade copies will have a quicker understanding of the pattern since more out there to be sold or have sold.

On 5/29/2017 at 0:14 PM, piper said:
On 5/29/2017 at 11:59 AM, namisgr said:

This epitomizes the mania that drives bubbles.

Yes, it does.  There will be a correction at some point but does anyone honestly think the book is going to depreciate 50%?  I think it's more likely that we see a small drop off and people hold on to their copies because they are unwilling to sell them at a loss (e.g. Hulk 1).

Could the 4.0 that sold for $30K on CC a month ago become a $15K book?  The price 4.0s were selling for waaaay back in 2016?  Yeah, I think I can see that happening.

The way this will likely end is that prices start to erode a bit and some of the people holding mid-grade copies begin to think, "You know, maybe it's time to cash out my winnings." They try to consign the books and find that the auction houses have a bunch of other mid-grade copies that people have consigned, so they won't be able to list the book for months.  Uh oh ... now what?  They consign with a dealer at a price, say, 10% below GPA.  "Yeah, I hate to sell low, but that's not too bad." But ... buyers are looking around and thinking, "Lot of mid-grade copies to choose from suddenly. Maybe if I wait a bit I can get one cheaper."  And then some low auction results happen and ...  You can finish the story.

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Could the 4.0 that sold for $30K on CC a month ago become a $15K book?  The price 4.0s were selling for waaaay back in 2016?  Yeah, I think I can see that happening.

The way this will likely end is that prices start to erode a bit and some of the people holding mid-grade copies begin to think, "You know, maybe it's time to cash out my winnings." They try to consign the books and find that the auction houses have a bunch of other mid-grade copies that people have consigned, so they won't be able to list the book for months.  Uh oh ... now what?  They consign with a dealer at a price, say, 10% below GPA.  "Yeah, I hate to sell low, but that's not too bad." But ... buyers are looking around and thinking, "Lot of mid-grade copies to choose from suddenly. Maybe if I wait a bit I can get one cheaper."  And then some low auction results happen and ...  You can finish the story.

You may be right, you may be wrong. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Yup.  There is something amazing about a bubble that just completely blinds people to the possibility that they could lose a lot of money until it happens.  People race to buy at the top, and hem and haw about buying at the bottom.

It will be interesting to see how the market plays out over the next 5-10 years.

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

I say 2009 will repeat itself

This time around will be different. There will be pullbacks and outlier along this dramatic sharp increase. There is so much more new money entering the Vintage Comic market with increase worldwide demand. I see AF15 will continue to increase with the inflation rate (yes, there may be slower growth at times).  It's an asset one can enjoy and have the privilege to own one of the famous "Stan the Man" creation.

46 minutes ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

This time around will be different. There will be pullbacks and outlier along this dramatic sharp increase. There is so much more new money entering the Vintage Comic market with increase worldwide demand. I see AF15 will continue to increase with the inflation rate (yes, there may be slower growth at times).  It's an asset one can enjoy and have the privilege to own one of the famous "Stan the Man" creation.

A bluechip comic.

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My thoughts on this are simple:

1. If the average price of lets say 4.0 is now 25-30k (up to 38k i think) will enough collectors/dealers be willing to lose thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in panic selling to really overall glut the market and bring down all copies in and around the range and under? Like will the guys paying 45-60k now for 5.0's really be willing to unload them at 25-30k just a year later, in droves?

2. If there is a pull back, realistically how much can it pull back? Can a top 3 comic book really lose like 40-50% of its value in a few months? Is that how much Hulk lost in its infamous pull back?

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

My thoughts on this are simple:

1. If the average price of lets say 4.0 is now 25-30k (up to 38k i think) will enough collectors/dealers be willing to lose thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in panic selling to really overall glut the market and bring down all copies in and around the range and under? Like will the guys paying 45-60k now for 5.0's really be willing to unload them at 25-30k just a year later, in droves?

2. If there is a pull back, realistically how much can it pull back? Can a top 3 comic book really lose like 40-50% of its value in a few months? Is that how much Hulk lost in its infamous pull back?

How about the guy's that bought 4.0s or 4.5s two years ago, they might not need super strong numbers to sell their copy.  They might just be ok with an average number 

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

How about the guy's that bought 4.0s or 4.5s two years ago, they might not need super strong numbers to sell their copy.  They might just be ok with an average number 

It really depends. Taking me as an example: I bought a decent, no MC CGC 4.5 just a few months ago (Sept. 2016) for $19K. At that time it was above GPA but I really liked the looks of the book. Independently of how the prices develop I am not selling, since I primarily bought it as a collectible and secondly as an investment asset. And there are probably many more like me that will just keep their books, however the market develops.

1 hour ago, SECollector said:

It really depends. Taking me as an example: I bought a decent, no MC CGC 4.5 just a few months ago (Sept. 2016) for $19K. At that time it was above GPA but I really liked the looks of the book. Independently of how the prices develop I am not selling, since I primarily bought it as a collectible and secondly as an investment asset. And there are probably many more like me that will just keep their books, however the market develops.

I believe you came into the Vintage Comic market full force the last few years. BTW, you have awesome books in your signature. :cloud9:

Edited by showcase22gr1959