• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, grapeape said:

That’s quite a mark up! Although when you factor in that Anthony is probably throwing in a signed random Esad Ribic print,.,,then the flip spread doesn’t seem so off puttinglol

His listing price tells me he valued it, wholesale, at around $375. Dealers for lower priced material seem to shoot for a mark-up of about 100% for o/p and carrying costs of inventory. That percentage drops as the raw dollars get bigger. It is a very nice visual piece, too.

54 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

His listing price tells me he valued it, wholesale, at around $375. Dealers for lower priced material seem to shoot for a mark-up of about 100% for o/p and carrying costs of inventory. That percentage drops as the raw dollars get bigger. It is a very nice visual piece, too.

Well you nailed it earlier. Anthony “stole” it at $155. Rick2you2 actually giving good advice especially for newbies trying to win a page.
Dealers having a difficult time replacing their inventory (that’s their problem). Pages more expensive today even for dreck. 
Even before this mad scramble to scrounge up “fresh” inventory dealers have always competed with collectors for art.

Greed is good. Imagine FMV. Double it in your mind. Bid accordingly. If you’re a collector you’ll probably win it for less then that max, a dealer won’t chase beyond what he can justify his resell markup.

Now if you’re bidding against a serious collector who wants that page and just doesn’t give a _ _ _ _ then you’re probably going to lose anyways.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Yes. Weigh this fact, against the venue. Many of us will not do business with ComicConnect (for various reasons). That reduces both the competition and liquidity in their sales. But if you will do business with them, then you should be prepared to bid appropriate to a clearly thinner bidding pool (meaning gappy results -highs and lows- are to be expected, the opposite of the highly liquid marketplace of others Houses, say...Heritage ;)).

@Rick2you2 is correct - bid of at least $300 is still on the low side of FMV for anybody that really wants to take it home. Just the way it is. Now Anthony may still have won it (by bidding over $300), but you would have made him work for it. And that's proper too :) 

If we were talking about a no-name seller mislabeling a piece on ebay then I would agree with you but when it's one of the largest comic auction sites I have a hard time justifying the argument "not enough of an audience".

Time will tell I suppose but I'd be shocked if that piece sells any time soon. 

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

To be candid, he got it too cheaply. If I had really wanted it, I could have easily gone for double the sales price without missing a beat. The raw dollars are low.

19 bids and it sold for $ 155.00.  To me, that means none of the bidders REALLY needed to own that piece.  I wonder if it went through extended bidding after the "official" auction close.

Edited by Will_K

What do people have against comicconnect? Is it only for their OA side of business? I've never heard anything negative about them with the only issue involving comic art is their own collection and how when they get a nice feature worthy piece for an auction they might try to buy it for themselves which hampers them in their OA auction efforts.

25 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

What do people have against comicconnect? Is it only for their OA side of business? I've never heard anything negative about them with the only issue involving comic art is their own collection and how when they get a nice feature worthy piece for an auction they might try to buy it for themselves which hampers them in their OA auction efforts.

The HA people participate in their own auctions as well.

The Comic Connect auction interface is clunkier than HA and doesn't allow for extended bidding, which promotes sniping tactics. It's not the end of the world, and their handling fees are substantially lower, which is a plus. It's good for the industry not to have HA dominate everything.

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

During that time I had such disdain for comicconnect that I never gave them any thought (like many people do the Donnellys). They basically didnt exist to me.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIF.CdqqQg1qu5S2A6ksybyRIA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

4 hours ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

If we were talking about a no-name seller mislabeling a piece on ebay then I would agree with you but when it's one of the largest comic auction sites I have a hard time justifying the argument "not enough of an audience".

My circle of pals laugh why would anyone ever consign anything to ComicConnect?!

Guaranteed underperformer.

48 minutes ago, RBerman said:

The HA people participate in their own auctions as well.

The Comic Connect auction interface is clunkier than HA and doesn't allow for extended bidding, which promotes sniping tactics. It's not the end of the world, and their handling fees are substantially lower, which is a plus. It's good for the industry not to have HA dominate everything.

I think someone once commented that ComicConnect might be offered art to put up for auction but they'll buy it outright (and never auction it).  I've never tried selling / auctioning via ComicConnect.

ComicConnect does have extended bidding.  Although I haven't thought about how that could affect sniping.

I'm all for competing auctions, it might keep the premiums down. 

Edited by Will_K

3 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Aside from their clunky interface, mentioned above, by RBerman, they just never seem to have anything which really grabs my interest. 

I sent comicconnect  an email about a Kirby page they were taking offers on. I offered them within $1000 of their buy it price. The page had sat there flat for 9 months.

I waited two weeks, sent one more “hello?” email then deleted them from any serious consideration.

You always answer a potential buyer.

If you want to be taken seriously that is.

8 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Aside from their clunky interface, mentioned above, by RBerman, they just never seem to have anything which really grabs my interest. 

Really? I looked at their most recent auction and thought of you when I saw this actually. https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919694
But yeah they don't usually have a lot of interesting things compared to other auction houses when it comes to OA besides maybe one or two big things. This one seemed to be better though having a few interesting things including a very memorable Amazing Spider-man #39 page. I would have actually done some bidding if not for recent buys. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think they should identify which lots are their own, owned by Fishler, Metropolis, Vinnie, etc.

A bonus would be identifying Donnelly Bros consignments.

After that, I think you might have one or two other consignors ;) ...maybe.

13 hours ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

We'll need to agree to disagree. Is there a better indicator of price than an auction? Unless someone was bidding the same amount as me, all the interested collectors in the auction tapped out at $150 which led to a "sale" at $155. This happens all the time so I think a good portion of the auction sale results are bad info because the sales are going to re-sellers who hold on to pieces for years. 

I stopped watching CC auctions because I was beaten by a healthy amount on a bunch of stuff I bid on last year. Just kinda figured it wouldn't be worth my time, but I would have 100% paid double this hammer price.

3 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Really? I looked at their most recent auction and thought of you when I saw this actually. https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919694
But yeah they don't usually have a lot of interesting things compared to other auction houses when it comes to OA besides maybe one or two big things. This one seemed to be better though having a few interesting things including a very memorable Amazing Spider-man #39 page. I would have actually done some bidding if not for recent buys. 

I was following that one, closely. That was probably the only one in years on Comic Connect I have seen worth considering, but I have better Aparo’s, and decided to let it ride. It’s been a real dry spell since anything has drawn my real interest. To be candid, I love comparison workmanship, particularly the obscure, since I have the main artists long covered (except Richard Dillon, which I avoid).

19 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I have a problem with their shipping price. I just recently bought from them for the first time in this last auction. I got a great deal on the piece, but at checkout the shipping ended up  being 40% of the final price. Still a pretty good deal,but man what a way to dampen a post win high

2 hours ago, artdisease said:

I have a problem with their shipping price. I just recently bought from them for the first time in this last auction. I got a great deal on the piece, but at checkout the shipping ended up  being 40% of the final price. Still a pretty good deal,but man what a way to dampen a post win high

Someone contacted me re: the same thing (ComicConnect's seemingly excessive shipping cost).  He contacted CC and apparently the shipping cost was generated by the website and was incorrect.  So he got an updated shipping cost.  I suggest you also contact CC.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Another piece that could be with a collector to enjoy, (mostly mine), and will now sit unsold for eternity. I remember losing this at auction thinking who is the person outbidding me on this?

GL Auction.jpg

GL Anthonys.jpg

I understand you. I had, in a near auction there, an "small" item like this one that interested me and that I "secured" in order to be sure to have it.

I think the tide is so low now on the market (and in my opinion, all those live shows don't help) you can see unpredictable moves from resellers...

A good thing with them is that they can't go very high, but you have to be prepared, even for "small' items.