• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, vodou said:

This "dealer" must need the $$$, not even a double ;) 

lol 

PANEL PAGE ART  UNPARALLELED WORKS OF COMIC ART.

WE DO MORE THAN JUST SELL ART.

Years ago, Glen Brunswick, owner of PANEL PAGE ART, met a prestigious art dealer that had a Madison Avenue gallery. He asked the dealer how he could tell if a piece of art was good or not. The dealer said he based his opinion on a gut feeling. He had to love the art he represented at least a little bit. It's this philosophy that goes into every piece of art we buy and sell. We consider ourselves curators of comic art collections.

https://panelpageart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=991

Not sure if this qualifies as a flip, but $1,500 today was $504 13/04/20.

I remember Romitaman had a page from 324 (death of RF book) for $1k about 18 mnths ago. I think that was a fair price with RF on the page and Flash in action. I know prices have jumped, but interesting to see what HA does next month.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:00 PM, aqn83 said:

Tim Sale - Long Halloween #4 pg 19.

Sold on August 25 2021 - Asking price was $10k - Original seller - Kevin Stawieray

Now for sale as of September 5 2021 - Asking price $15k - New seller - Steve Lipsky

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1754431&GSub=74002

Will never sell. 

On 9/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, cstojano said:

Not sure if this has been discussed within these 71 pages of comments, but people like me with interests but no deep historical knowledge, ie the uninformed newbie type of collector, simply write off entire inventories as overpriced when you see someone consistently flip pieces like this. I mean, some of these prices may be good, some bad - hard to tell for people who aren't constantly monitoring the market. But seeing CAF galleries and dealer websites filling with the last round's auction wins just makes me move on. I must be in the minority here, but I basically assume I am being taken by the repeat offenders. 

You’re not in the minority. 
Many people feel the same as you, but are afraid to speak their mind. They’re afraid to be blackballed by those dealers. 

The 1.5-months-later-50%-markup flip. :"You wanted this sooooo much but you missed its Heritage auction?  Bad, bad boy.  How dare you.  Well, here's your chance at redemption.  But it will hurt, oh baby yes.  Swallow your pride. Don't mind the Flip of the Day losers.  Mwahaha..." 

On 9/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, exitmusicblue said:

The 1.5-months-later-50%-markup flip. :"You wanted this sooooo much but you missed its Heritage auction?  Bad, bad boy.  How dare you.  Well, here's your chance at redemption.  But it will hurt, oh baby yes.  Swallow your pride. Don't mind the Flip of the Day losers.  Mwahaha..." 

There was a HA piece I missed out on months ago because no reminder text. Did their offer thing the next day for double what it sold for. Got a counter at 3-4x, said f it, I’m good. Figured they really wanted to keep it or it was a dealer. Appeared at coollines weeks later. 

On 9/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, cstojano said:

Not sure if this has been discussed within these 71 pages of comments, but people like me with interests but no deep historical knowledge, ie the uninformed newbie type of collector, simply write off entire inventories as overpriced when you see someone consistently flip pieces like this. I mean, some of these prices may be good, some bad - hard to tell for people who aren't constantly monitoring the market. But seeing CAF galleries and dealer websites filling with the last round's auction wins just makes me move on. I must be in the minority here, but I basically assume I am being taken by the repeat offenders. 

I think one of the best things you can do is connect with a group of like-minded folks whom you trust to walk through the hobby together.  I have been in about a year and a half or so, and it has greatly helped me navigate so much of the jungle.  

OA is much more fragmented as a hobby than something like comics or cards.  You are also dealing with 1 of 1's for everything, so it can really be tricky.  Happy to connect via PM if you ever need help or want to bounce an idea off someone.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, cstojano said:

You may be overthinking the subject. When looking at something, do you like it, and if so, how much do you like it? Then, is the piece’s price anything close to what you will spend? I think you should assume you will never sell it, so you don’t get trapped into the appreciation/investment game which takes time to learn if you are so minded. So, you really like a piece, and it won’t break the bank, then what? Alex Johnson has a page indicating how to search for comparables. For me, I just look at Heritage prices in the last two years, and then CAF and eBay pricing for comparables. Look for artist comparables/book, first, then artist comp’s alone, second, within the last year. Increase the time line to 2 years if you must. That should get you to within 10-20% of generally recognized value, in most cases. Then, wing it. Each piece is unique, and each seller’s position on the piece is unique, so there won’t really be a right answer.

Regarding your comment about dealer inventory, sometimes they get bargains due to their positions in the business which you won’t get. Anthony, for example, can go to artists and buy whatever c r * p they have at a 30% discount (or more) because he buys so much of it. In other cases, you’ve nailed a complaint expressed on another thread—artificial price setting. Just don’t blow too much on a single piece, and it won’t matter.

Edited by Rick2you2

To lighten the topic a little bit, I can't decide which one of these current Ebay entries is the funniest :

- this obscure piece of work, maybe the new "Salvator Mundi" :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294378276117?hash=item448a500515%3Ag%3ADx8AAOSwo8RhGZUJ&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338181027&customid=958&toolid=10049

- ... or this flip (?) attempt, where you don't know what you're really buying :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234175951669?hash=item3685f97335%3Ag%3AQ5sAAOSwwRdhNh0p&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338181027&customid=958&toolid=10049

An original art piece, a poster, a production art piece, a babe, a funhouse antique, 3 Marvel Masterworks or a sailor cap (including the sailor ?) ?

Even on these, inflated prices are here.

On 9/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, cstojano said:

On 9/6/2021 at 11:48 PM, Xatari said:

I think one of the best things you can do is connect with a group of like-minded folks whom you trust to walk through the hobby together.  I have been in about a year and a half or so, and it has greatly helped me navigate so much of the jungle.  

OA is much more fragmented as a hobby than something like comics or cards.  You are also dealing with 1 of 1's for everything, so it can really be tricky.  Happy to connect via PM if you ever need help or want to bounce an idea off someone.

I also think that you simply just need to make sure you do your due diligence. There is so much publicly accessible market data that can help you determine that current value of things. You don't NEED to have marketplace data that CAF can provide you with a certain membership type.

All that said, i think we're derailing this thread a bit.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, lobrac said:

Some sorta Flash (Brazilian reprint cover) sold on Heritage on Sept. 8 for $384:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/baron-flash-17-cover-original-art-editoria-brasil-america-1969-/a/322136-47012.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Now on eBay for just $1,252.21 BIN / OBO!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384401350695?hash=item59801b2027:g:EB8AAOSwHSRhRbDF

So is this flip a Brazilian blowout...or wax?

Brazilian butt lift.