• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

***SOLD***

Crime Does Not Pay 88 Church Copy:  Looking at this Bob Fujitani painted cover does give one any sense at all of what this title used to be like.  Gone are the ultraviolent shootouts with blood pouring from head shots and in is the more sophisticated menace of tales involving upscale private eyes.  This is clearly aimed at a more adult oriented readership.  Walter Gibson, write of the Shadow pulps, was the writer for these issues.  A prolific wordsmith for pulps, he still managed to find time to pen a number or stories for comics.

Census:  1 in 8.0.  This copy has deep, deep gloss, totally different than the previous matte finish used by Lev Gleason for their covers.  It has the appearance of the kind deep shine you would get from heavily glazed bathroom tiles.  The pages, as befitting a Church copy, are very fresh.  This copy has some minor wear due to the LL corner being "bumped" at some point and ii therefore VF+ for $550.

CDNP88.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Web of Mystery 7 Spokane Copy:  While not the highest graded copy of this issue, it is almost certainly the prettiest with the whitest pages, coming, as it does from the Spokane collection.

Census: 1 in 9.6, 1 in  9.4, 1 in 9.0, and 2 in 8.5.  CGC 8.5 white for $550.

WebofMys7slab.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

1 minute ago, adamstrange said:

Web of Mystery 7 Spokane Copy:  While not the highest graded copy of this issue, it is almost certainly the prettiest with the whitest pages, coming, as it does from the Spokane collection.

Census: 1 in 9.6, 1 in  9.4, 1 in 9.0, and 2 in 8.5.  CGC 8.5 white for $550.

WebofMys7slab.jpg

:takeit:

18 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Crime Does Not Pay 88 Church Copy:  Looking at this Bob Fujitani painted cover does give one any sense at all of what this title used to be like.  Gone are the ultraviolent shootouts with blood pouring from head shots and in is the more sophisticated menace of tales involving upscale private eyes.  This is clearly aimed at a more adult oriented readership.  Walter Gibson, write of the Shadow pulps, was the writer for these issues.  A prolific wordsmith for pulps, he still managed to find time to pen a number or stories for comics.

Census:  1 in 8.0.  This copy has deep, deep gloss, totally different than the previous matte finish used by Lev Gleason for their covers.  It has the appearance of the kind deep shine you would get from heavily glazed bathroom tiles.  The pages, as befitting a Church copy, are very fresh.  This copy has some minor wear due to the LL corner being "bumped" at some point and ii therefore VF+ for $550.

CDNP88.jpg

Action 214:  This issue is particularly unkind to any sort of aging as it tends to distort the delicate light blue background of the ocean, ruining the overall effect.  While not nearly as technically nice as the Mohawk Valley (cgc 9.2 with some unattractive tanning), this copy has by far the better eye appeal and pages.  Census:  1 in 9.2 and 1 in 8.5. Issues of Action in this range are very difficult to find in VF+, as this one is, and that is the reason for the $1500 price.

Action214.jpg

Action214bk.jpg

Thus endeth the thread.

The books will be available through Sunday and then, with a few exceptions, unsold items will be welcomed back into the collection.

Edited by adamstrange

13 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Thanks for taking Web of Mystery!

5 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Thanks for taking the CDNP!

Just now, thirdgreenham said:

Me too!! 

Hey adamstrange, did this book have any kind of certificate for it? Just thinking ahead if I get it graded. 

It has the correct distributor code and was purchased from Mr. Bedrock. I don't think there will be any problem.

58 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I don't think i'll ever forget this sales thread! :cloud9:

Today, anyway. :whistle:

What a great sales thread. Some amazing books. Thank you for sharing them. As with many other collectors here, I love the descriptions and history you added. And I agree with your assessment of comic art not getting the attention it deserves. It still remains an underrated medium. That said, it's not over yet! ? Comics will continue to shine to those of us that understand, create, and collect them. In time their appreciation will spread. 

7 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Me too!! 

Hey adamstrange, did this book have any kind of certificate for it? Just thinking ahead if I get it graded. 

It is definitely the Mile High Copy. 

3 hours ago, Timely said:

It is definitely the Mile High Copy. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, adamstrange said:

It has the correct distributor code and was purchased from Mr. Bedrock. I don't think there will be any problem.