• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Supernerd said:

take it

Thanks for taking Strange Worlds 6!

***SOLD***

All American Men of War 12:  Not a pedigree, just a regular nice copy of a DC war book that is more reasonably priced than the Salidas posted previously. This is still very fresh with ow/w pages and inside is Russ Heath doing his usual level best.  There's a good chance Russ will go to San Diego Con so if you will attend I'd suggest making it a priority to drop by.  Although a little hard of hearing, he's a feisty, funny character and one of the few GA greats that meets with the public.  And if you want something signed by him, this would fit the bill.  Census:  1 in 9.0.   VF/NM ow/w for $475.

AAMOW12.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

The following are still available:

AvailableJuly4.jpg

AvailableJuly4p2.jpg

All Select 8:  Schomburg drew Cap, Human Torch and their little buddies in hyperkinetic action scene.  I'm more than a little fond of red covers but I will admit that Timely overdoes it and the black background to this issue is not only welcome relief but provides a perfect setting for the red, white and blue of the four heroes.  This is a fantastic appearing copy with the defects that brought it down hard to spot and therefore not distracting from the intense cover scene.  Census:  2 in 7.5 with 8 higher. CGC 7.5 for $2200.

AllSelect8.jpg

***SOLD***

Beware Terror Tales Crowley Copy:  I referenced earlier that, after falling out with Bill Gaines, Sheldon Moldoff packaged horror comics for Fawcett.  To do that he needed help and called on one his long time colleagues from DC who he know could depict the eerie and supernatural:  Bernard Bailey.  Bailey had been the artist for the Spectre's ghostly tales and quickly adapted to the PCH market producing many memorable covers of which this is one.  It does not happen to be the best image from Bailey but it was printed with inks with metals pigments, done in such a way that there is actually a crystalline surface.

As you angle the book one way and then another, the light bouncing off the different facets of the crystals diffract the light producing a sheen.  The effect is much more pronounced when the book is out of the slab.  This sort of printing was only ever done by Fawcett and only for a very limited period of time.  Furthermore, the little green man on this cover would be joined by several others to torment a different human on the cover to Weird Chills 2.

Census:  Lone highest with the next copy at 7.0.  This is copy has the look of a 9.2/9.4, though I'm sure there's a good reason that CGC graded it as low as they did though I wasn't able to figure it out just by observing the slab. CGC 8.0 off-white for $1800.

BewareTerrorTales5 crowley.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Zoot 14 Church Copy:  After WWII, Victor got back into comics but apparently had little success until he developed his line of GGA titles using artists from the Iger shop like Baker, Kamen, Feldstein and Webb.  This cover looks like Kamen's work.  The interior art is full of the violence, bondage and female beauty of the sort that got Wertham all hot and bothered.  Census:  sole highest.  CGC 9.4 ow/w for $4000.

There are two Zoot 14s.  This is the second from May '48.

Zoot14cgc.jpg

37 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Beware Terror Tales Crowley Copy:  I referenced earlier that, after falling out with Bill Gaines, Sheldon Moldoff packaged horror comics for Fawcett.  To do that he needed help and called on one his long time colleagues from DC who he know could depict the eerie and supernatural:  Bernard Bailey.  Bailey had been the artist for the Spectre's ghostly tales and quickly adapted to the PCH market producing many memorable covers of which this is one.  It does not happen to be the best image from Bailey but it was printed with inks with metals pigments, done in such a way that there is actually a crystalline surface.

As you angle the book one way and then another, the light bouncing off the different facets of the crystals diffract the light producing a sheen.  The effect is much more pronounced when the book is out of the slab.  This sort of printing was only ever done by Fawcett and only for a very limited period of time.  Furthermore, the little green man on this cover would be joined by several others to torment a different human on the cover to Weird Chills 2.

Census:  Lone highest with the next copy at 7.0.  This is copy has the look of a 9.2/9.4, though I'm sure there's a good reason that CGC graded it as low as they did though I wasn't able to figure it out just by observing the slab. CGC 8.0 off-white for $1800.

BewareTerrorTales5 crowley.jpg

Take it 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Take it 

Thanks for taking Beware Terror 5!

World's Finest 55: Issues of WF's from the mid-50s are very difficult to find in grade yet are often more interesting on the inside than they appear on the cover.  Because there were a lot of pages to fill, DC pulled unused inventory from other cancelled titles like Danger Trail making for an eclectic mix of superhero and adventure tales.  Census:  tied for second highest with one other copy; 1 higher in 9.2.  CGC 8.5 ow/w for $1000.

WorldsFinest55.jpg

***SOLD***

World's Finest 61:   Confirming the scarcity of this title is this issue where there is only one copy fine or better.  Census:  sole highest.  CGC 6.5 ow/w $700.

WF61.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Mysterious Adventures 6:  Do you like skeletons?  If so, this red cover features the largest skeleton figure of any pre-code horror comic.  As cool as that is, and on a scale of 1 to 10 that's probably an 11, the interior art is by another talented artist who never made out of the 50s and so is virtually unknown,  Lou Cameron. I've attached sample pages from this issue which may be his first real showing of the imaginative approach to artistic storytelling that distinguished his work. 

After the implosion caused by the Comics Code demand for his work dried up but he was multi-talented and made a new career writing over novels.   He wrote mostly Western and adventure tales, producing 300+ over the course of his life.  If his comic art is new to you then you'll want to get this book in October:  Cameron Comic Reprint Book. That's my scan used for the cover and I suggested to Craig Yoe that Cameron would make a great focus for a volume in his highly recommended horror reprint series.

Census:  1 in 9.0, 1 in 8.5, 1 in 8.0.  This copy is flat and square but not the freshness that I usually collect so there is some edge tanning and cr/ow pages.  There is some weirdness in the UR edge of the book that looks to be have caused by water droplets and aging of the book.  VF- cr/ow for $500 for a tough book.

MysAdv6.jpg

MysAdv6bk.jpg

MysAdv6splash.jpg

MysAdv6p5.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Just now, adamstrange said:

Mysterious Adventures 6:  Do you like skeletons?  If so, this red cover features the largest skeleton figure of any pre-code horror comic.  As cool as that is, and on a scale of 1 to 10 that's probably an 11, the interior art is by another talented artist who never made out of the 50s and so is virtually unknown,  Lou Cameron. I've attached sample pages from this issue which may be his first real showing of the imaginative approach to artistic storytelling that distinguished his work. 

After the implosion caused by the Comics Code demand for his work dried up but he was multi-talented and made a new career writing over novels.   He wrote mostly Western and adventure tales, producing 300+ over the course of his life.  If his comic art is new to you then you'll want to get this book in October:  Cameron Comic Reprint Book. That's my scan used for the cover and I suggested to Craig Yoe that Cameron would make a great focus for a volume in his highly recommended horror reprint series.

Census:  1 in 9.0, 1 in 8.5, 1 in 8.0.  This copy is flat and square but not the freshness that I usually collect so there is some edge tanning and cr/ow pages.  There is some weirdness in the UR edge of the book that looks to be have caused by water droplets and aging of the book.  VF- cr/ow for $500 for a tough book.

MysAdv6.jpg

MysAdv6bk.jpg

MysAdv6splash.jpg

MysAdv6p5.jpg

Take it

3 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Take it

Thanks for taking the Mys Adv!

A couple more books coming soon.

Tex Morgan Church Copy: This is a superb Church copy with the colors and pages your would expect of the pedigree.  This copy has a minor printing error in that the inside front and back cover are blank -- they do not contain the usual indicia or ads.

Census:  1 in 9.6 and 2 in 9.4.  This old label CGC 9.4 white looks to my eyes like a 9.6, which sold for over $3k in 2016.  This Church copy is your for only $1200.

TexMorgan1.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories 20 Church Copy:  Ditko's early work is cruder than it would be later but there's a youthful energy and considerable story-telling skills that he had developed under the tutelage of Jerry Robinson that more than make up for it.  This issue includes two of his stories in addition to the cover.  The color intensity of this Church copy is incredible, though it's not just due to it being stored in Edgar's basement. 

Charlton printed their own comics on a press that had been built to print cereal boxes.  Their quality control was non-existent and, if they ran low on pigment, they just diluted it and kept on printing.  This copy must have been printed at the start of the run as the green, reds and blues are bright and show well against a very white cover.  One of the higher graded copies was the Northford which looks rather dull in comparison to this copy, mostly due to it being printed with the limp inks.

Census: 1 in 9.6, 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0.  This old label CGC 9.0 white was graded in the very early days of CGC and there's very little to complain about other than a couple very light bends.  It certainly looks better than vf/nm which is yours for $1800.

The label will be shipped with the comic.

StrangeSuspenseStories20.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

MysAdv6.jpg

MysAdv6bk.jpg

MysAdv6splash.jpg

MysAdv6p5.jpg

Missed this one.. Congrats to both parties!

BIGS

Marvel Tales 104 is no longer for sale.