• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

***SOLD***

Mugsy Mouse 2: Terrific front cover appeal for this very 50s funny animal book. CGC 7.0 for $400.

This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

There are some challenges with my scanner and these old slabs that have slight scuffs so if you have a question feel free to ask. I can take a close up picture of any spot to assist.

MugsyMouse2.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Mugsy Mouse 2: Terrific front cover appeal for this very 50s funny animal book. CGC 7.0 for $400.

This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

There are some challenges with my scanner and these old slabs that have slight scuffs so if you have a question feel free to ask. I can take a close up picture of any spot to assist.

MugsyMouse2.jpg

One of the coolest books there is!  If I didn't already, etc.

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Nice pick up, I was on the phone, and missed the response. Now I don't have to figure out where to put it:) 

I go to a yearly comic OA party in September. The host has an amazing collection. I don't primarily collect OA and everybody has seen my collection. Now I have something new to bring.

49 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I go to a yearly comic OA party in September. The host has an amazing collection. I don't primarily collect OA and everybody has seen my collection. Now I have something new to bring.

Providing social lubricant and enhancing buyer status is our mission!

***SOLD***

Journey Into Unknown Worlds 56 Circle 8:  Atlas alone of the big precode publishers was able to successfully transition their horror comics to suspense themes after the imposition of the Inquisition Comics Code.  They were successful because of the skill of artists like Severin who were able to imply  and suggest something sinister without running afoul of the CCA censors.  The interiors are, as might be expected, much tamer than for actual pre-code horror tales.  Still, this issue includes art by Everett, Doxsee and others.  "Doxsee?" you ask.  Richard Doxsee is almost unknown as his work occurred during the 50s with very few covers to his name.  I've always found his art very pleasing and have attached a sample page from the issue.  Census:  3 in 9.2.  This copy was from a dozen issues held back by the original finder of the Circle 8 as they represented the best of the best from that collection.  It's practically flawless, similar to the what you would expect to see from a Gaines File Copy.  NM+ with ow/w pages for $900.

JIUW56.jpg

JIUW56bk.jpg

JIUWp1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Star Spangled War Stories 24 Salida Copy:   I've already described most of the exceptional qualities of the Salida copies with the exception of smell.  Back in the old days when dinosaurs ruled the earth and there no slabs, experienced collectors smelled the pages of books.  That was done for a variety of reasons including identifying pedigree, detecting restoration but usually to understand the freshness of the copies.  As the cheap comic book paper ages it will generate a slightly acrid smell that gets worse the greater the deterioration.  The Salida copies, alone of all the 50s comics and pedigrees, have no smell.

The best part of the art for this book is the story by Jerry Grandenetti, more well known that Richard Doxsee, but it's a closer race than it should be.  Grandenetti started out as an assistant for Will Eisner but caught at DC working mainly on the war comics.  He eventually developed a very interesting style at DC of which this story is a good example.  His later work Warren and DC in the 70s was a bit over the top for my taste, though always interesting.  Census:  tied for highest with one other copy.  Old Label CGC 8.5 white pages for $800.

Label will be shipped with the comic.

SSWS24.jpg

SSWS24bk.jpg

SSWS24p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Black Magic 5 Spokane Copy:   Simon & Kirby started the romance boom but as that subsided they created Black Magic to hop on the pre-code horror trend.  Census:  2 in 7.5  The front cover looks brand new off the newsstand but there is a tiny, tiny chip out LL bk cover (1/8" x 1/16") so it is NM-  with whitey white pages for $1000.

BlackMagic5.jpg

BlackMagic5bk.jpg

13 hours ago, adamstrange said:

MugsyMouse2.jpg

:takeit:

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Continuing our diversion into the world of art, here's a recreation done by Irwin Hasen of one his more iconic comic book covers, All-Star 33.  The inked and colored piece is 11" x 14.5" for $350.

AllStar33 recreation.jpg

2 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Any high grade early Silver Age Marvel? :wishluck:

All gone long ago. :sorry:

3 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Thanks for taking All Star Recreation

4 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Thanks for taking Mugsy Mouse

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

adamstrange-

Your thread is deeper than the usual for sale ones I've seen around here since 2005. The board's version of a Berk Collection thread can serve as a basis for a book on comic book history and what a book it would be. I also couldn't help but think of just how amazing your collection must be and the passion you have for this art form. There's a story behind each copy and though they depart from your collecting venue- the knowledge stays with you (the money is a plus too!). That's the thing we always have with us.  

Congrats and all my best!

john

***SOLD***

Police 25 Rockford. This is one of my favorite Plastic Man covers for the colors and originality of Jack Cole's image. Census:  tied for highest with one other copy. CGC 9.0 for $1500.

Census: Tied for highest with one other copy. This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

Police25sm.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

11 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Black Magic 5 Spokane Copy:   Simon & Kirby started the romance boom but as that subsided they created Black Magic to hop on the pre-code horror trend.  Census:  2 in 7.5  The front cover looks brand new off the newsstand but there is a tiny, tiny chip out LL bk cover (1/8" x 1/16") so it is NM-  with whitey white pages for $1000.

BlackMagic5.jpg

BlackMagic5bk.jpg

That cover is so bad-a.s.s.!

***SOLD***

Brave and the Bold #30. The third try-out issue for the Justice League in an attractive CGC 7.5 for $1000.

Link to census

BraveBold30.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Donald Duck Fun Book #2 File Copy. Beautifully painted and glossily printed make for a "fun book." Be the first to fill in the puzzles and cut out the figures! CGC 9.0 for $750.

Census: Four in 9.0 with 5 higher. This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

DD Fun Book2.jpg

Jimmy Olsen #40 CGC 9.2 for $550.

Census: Tied for highest graded with one other copy. This copy was not pressed by its owner.

Please ignore the green line as it is a scanner artifact.

Jimmy40.jpg