• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

goodness, gracious, the police 25 is fantabulous!

It is one of my favoritest books in the whole wide world. :cloud9: I have a poster sized scan of the Church copy in my office so I see it every day.  I never get tired of it. 

I'm selling that copy for a friend.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Police 25 Rockford. This is one of my favorite Plastic Man covers for the colors and originality of Jack Cole's image. Census:  tied for highest with one other copy. CGC 9.0 for $1500.

Census: Tied for highest with one other copy. This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

There are some challenges with my scanner and these old slabs that have slight scuffs so if you have a question feel free to ask. I can take a close up picture of any spot to assist.

Police25sm.jpg

Take it per PM negotiation

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Brave and the Bold #30. The third try-out issue for the Justice League in an attractive CGC 7.5 for $1000.

Link to census

This copy was not pressed by its owner and, as an old label book, unlikely to have been pressed.

There are some challenges with my scanner and these old slabs that have slight scuffs so if you have a question feel free to ask. I can take a close up picture of any spot to assist.

BraveBold30.jpg

Sold via PM.

8 minutes ago, toto said:

Take it per PM negotiation

Thanks for taking Police 25!

***SOLD***

Batman 58 Spokane:  Like nearly all Spokanes, this copy has intense cover colors and white pages.  This is due to their being stored in a refrigerated unit until they were brought to market.  To underscore the impact of that environment, this copy has better colors and pages than the Church copy of this particular issue.  Batman's from the 50s are generally harder to find than the their 40s counterparts.  Not only is the census sparse for high grade but there the last recorded sale for 8.0 and above was 2009. Census: 1 in 9.4 and 2 in 8.5.  This copy has a 3/16" split at the bottom edge of the spine and couple other minor defects that are on the edge/back and so do not distract from the eye appeal of the front cover.  VF+ and white pages for $2000.

Batman53.jpg

Batman58bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That Spokane just blew my eyes out :whee:

I wear shades when handling them. B|

34 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Batman 58 Spokane:  Like nearly all Spokanes, this copy has intense cover colors and white pages.  This is due to their being stored in a refrigerated unit until they were brought to market.  To underscore the impact of that environment, this copy has better colors and pages than the Church copy of this particular issue.  Batman's from the 50s are generally harder to find than the their 40s counterparts.  Not only is the census sparse for high grade but there the last recorded sale for 8.0 and above was 2009. Census: 1 in 9.4 and 2 in 8.5.  This copy has a 3/16" split at the bottom edge of the spine and couple other minor defects that are on the edge/back and so do not distract from the eye appeal of the front cover.  VF+ and white pages for $2000.

Batman53.jpg

Sold via PM

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Real Fact 8 Ohio Copy:  This title was DC's response to non-fiction titles from other publishers like Real Life and True.  While I am a fan of those, that was not the reason I own this book.  It's for the art on the bottom half of the cover which is the only cover art from noted science fiction illustrator Virgil Finlay.  It also contains one of only two comic book stories drawn by Finlay (he also supplied a few double-page splashes), samples of which are below.  Finlay was a superb artist but painfully slow and it is hard to imagine that he could have ever produced much volume of labor-intensive stippling techniques as he supplied for this story. 

This copy is from the peak quality period of the Ohio collection (mid-1940s) where pages and colors are the best seen from that pedigree and fall very little short of a Church copy.   Census: 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0.  Small split at top of spine on an otherwise tight, flat, sharp-edged near mint appearing copy.  VF+ white pages for $700.

RealFact8ohio.jpg

RealFact8bk.jpg

RealFact8p1.jpg

RealFact8p2.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

4 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Real Fact 8 Ohio Copy:  This title was DC's response to non-fiction titles from other publishers like Real Life and True.  While I am a fan of those, that was not the reason I own this book.  It's for the art on the bottom half of the cover which is the only cover art from noted science fiction illustrator Virgil Finlay.  It also contains one of only two comic book stories drawn by Finlay (he also supplied a few double-page splashes), samples of which are below.  Finlay was a superb artist but painfully slow and it is hard to imagine that he could have ever produced much volume of labor-intensive stippling techniques as he supplied for this story. 

This copy is from the peak quality period of the Ohio collection (mid-1940s) where pages and colors are the best seen from that pedigree and fall very little short of a Church copy.   Census: 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0.  Small split at top of spine on an otherwise tight, flat, sharp-edged near mint appearing copy.  VF+ white pages for $700.

RealFact8ohio.jpg

RealFact8bk.jpg

RealFact8p1.jpg

RealFact8p2.jpg

:takeit:

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

:takeit:

Thanks for taking Real Fact 8!

Mystery in Space 19

***SOLD***

Strange Worlds 6 River City:  If there is such a thing a classic Wally Wood image it would likely involve a babe, an bug-eyed monster, a ray gun toting hero all in a spaceship with his trademark rocket interior.  Essentially, this cover.  There's no Wally Wood interior story, instead some wildly atmospheric work from Everett Raymond Kinstler.  ERK's talent was recognized by Avon as they quickly shifted him to cover duty and imaginative splashes/scenarios on the inside front covers of their books.  As comics declined he made the shift into painting where he became far better known.  He was never ashamed of his work in comics and I highly recommend Vadeboncuer's book: ERK Comic Career Art & Bio

This River City copy is not coded but I picked it up in one of the first purchases from collection from Brian Peetes.  There were a number of unmarked books in the collection and they were among the best of the River Citys in terms of condition and freshness.  Census:  1 in 9.2. NM with ow/w pages for $2250.

StrangeWorlds6fc.jpg

StrangeWorlds6bk.jpg

StrangeWorlds6p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

10 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Strange Worlds 6 River City:  If there is such a thing a classic Wally Wood image it would likely involve a babe, an bug-eyed monster, a ray gun toting hero all in a spaceship with his trademark rocket interior.  Essentially, this cover.  There's no Wally Wood interior story, instead some wildly atmospheric work from Everett Raymond Kinstler.  ERK's talent was recognized by Avon as they quickly shifted him to cover duty and imaginative splashes/scenarios on the inside front covers of their books.  As comics declined he made the shift into painting where he became far better known.  He was never ashamed of his work in comics and I highly recommend Vadeboncuer's book: ERK Comic Career Art & Bio

This River City copy is not coded but I picked it up in one of the first purchases from collection from Brian Peetes.  There were a number of unmarked books in the collection and they were among the best of the River Citys in terms of condition and freshness.  Census:  1 in 9.2. NM with ow/w pages for $2250.

StrangeWorlds6fc.jpg

StrangeWorlds6bk.jpg

StrangeWorlds6p1.jpg

take it