• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

Apparently I am going to run some cables from a laptop to the tv to show HBO Max, which I do not get on Roku or DirecTV. But my daughter swears she can set it up so we will be ready to go Christmas night.

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Apparently I am going to run some cables from a laptop to the tv to show HBO Max, which I do not get on Roku or DirecTV. But my daughter swears she can set it up so we will be ready to go Christmas night.

Not hard.  I have a computer set up as a media network server that lives next to my main TV.  Or i can run in through Plex server to any of my devices. 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

If you computer has an hdmi out, it should be easy. I've done it with my laptop many times.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I couldn't even fathom a bigger hater just because of the logo before the film(s).

Wonder Woman has about 1,918 more character moments than the imitation Captain Marvel. ;)

I still like DC. I grew up reading DC. But DC movies lately do nothing for the value of their comics, which, let's be honest, is why most of us are here [at a CGC board]. In fact, I'd say DC's Debacle at the Cineplex (maybe that's what D.C. should stand for) actually brings down the value of our favorite collectibles. Given all the time and money in the world since the Nolan Batverse ended, DC/WB has failed to capture the public's imagination (outside of WW and Joker) at the movie theaters. On the other hand, Marvel has. It's not even a competition, really. Marvel Studios is essentially the new Star Wars. It's its own thing now. At this point, DC/WB needs to give up the extended universe thing. It's just not who they are or ever have been. DC has always been a mess (Crisis on Infinite Earths was even an attempt to clean up that mess). As I see it, DC has only really shined when their legacy characters were handled by genius creators in self-contained adventures like Miller's DKR or Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman. Meanwhile, Stan Lee and Marvel have mastered the extended continuous universe since 1962 and Kevin Feige has picked up that baton beautifully. At this point, I think DC is better off making movies that fit their mold better, that is, self-contained adventures by talented filmmakers ie Joker a pseudo-Martin Scorsese picture or Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman.

But getting back to the matter at hand, I wasn't trying to compare Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. I think Wonder Woman was a better dramatic movie with extreme highs (WW in no man's land) and extreme lows (the gassed village or Steve Trevor sacrificing himself). While Captain Marvel was flatter dramatically, it was also funnier, had a tighter and better written plotline, and definitely had more memorable characters than WW. I can't really remember any supporting players from Wonder Woman, but Maria/Monica Rambeau, Talos, Yonn Rogg were all memorable. What I was originally saying in my earlier post is just taking disagreement with the statement that Wonder Woman was masterful storytelling until the third act. The first act was strong, but Wonder Woman's middle was a bit muddled. Between the story's dedication to Trevor's team which didn't really add to the story, to Diana's meandering phantom search for Ares, it wasn't that strong. I think Gal Gadot is really just magnetic on screen and the No Man's Land scene to the subsequent taking of the village carried the movie the rest of the way.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I still like DC. I grew up reading DC. But DC movies lately do nothing for the value of their comics, which, let's be honest, is why most of us are here [at a CGC board]. In fact, I'd say DC's Debacle at the Cineplex (maybe that's what D.C. should stand for) actually brings down the value of our favorite collectibles. Given all the time and money in the world since the Nolan Batverse ended, DC/WB has failed to capture the public's imagination (outside of WW and Joker) at the movie theaters. On the other hand, Marvel has. It's not even a competition, really. Marvel Studios is essentially the new Star Wars. It's its own thing now. At this point, DC/WB needs to give up the extended universe thing. It's just not who they are or ever have been. DC has always been a mess (Crisis on Infinite Earths was even an attempt to clean up that mess). As I see it, DC has only really shined when their legacy characters were handled by genius creators in self-contained adventures like Miller's DKR or Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman. Meanwhile, Stan Lee and Marvel have mastered the extended continuous universe since 1962 and Kevin Feige has picked up that baton beautifully. At this point, I think DC is better off making movies that fit their mold better, that is, self-contained adventures by talented filmmakers ie Joker a pseudo-Martin Scorsese picture or Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman.

But getting back to the matter at hand, I wasn't trying to compare Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. I think Wonder Woman was a better dramatic movie with extreme highs (WW in no man's land) and extreme lows (the gassed village or Steve Trevor sacrificing himself). While Captain Marvel was flatter dramatically, it was also funnier, had a tighter and better written plotline, and definitely had more memorable characters than WW. I can't really remember any supporting players from Wonder Woman, but Maria/Monica Rambeau, Talos, Yonn Rogg were all memorable. What I was originally saying in my earlier post is just taking disagreement with the statement that Wonder Woman was masterful storytelling until the third act. The first act was strong, but Wonder Woman's middle was a bit muddled. Between the story's dedication to Trevor's team which didn't really add to the story, to Diana's meandering phantom search for Ares, it wasn't that strong. I think Gal Gadot is really just magnetic on screen and the No Man's Land scene to the subsequent taking of the village carried the movie the rest of the way.

Incorrect.

11 hours ago, Bird said:

As others have said, it's pretty easy. Hope you enjoy!

On 11/30/2020 at 5:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

Have you read Wonder Woman stories? Even the George Perez run conveyed she was a displaced powerhouse yet a savior of mankind. Her purpose wasn't about 'who can I be friends with next'. Though naturally as she fought alongside fellow heroes over time she saw them as comrades.

WW_Perez.thumb.JPG.6e7e3284e0717a2ef145c1c45f5bf663.JPG

You should check out the Perez run. Wonderful stories covering a great character.

That Shazam racism complaint was the tell there is a clear studio bias going on. Unfortunately.

I'm familiar with the George Perez Wonder Woman. I still have a few copies in my PC. I'm also aware of Diana's Supermanesque immortal among mortals...thing. And the filmmakers played that up in the movie. I'm just saying the movie had storytelling flaws, and I think the "WOnder Team", or whatever they're called, part of the movie dragged it down a bit. I can see where potential elements could have been set up to really show Diana the mortality of men, like Charlie the PTSD drunk sharp-shooter, but the movie didn't really follow through  with it. In the end, he was just useless.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm familiar with the George Perez Wonder Woman. I still have a few copies in my PC. I'm also aware of Diana's Supermanesque immortal among mortals...thing. And the filmmakers played that up in the movie. I'm just saying the movie had storytelling flaws, and I think the "WOnder Team", or whatever they're called, part of the movie dragged it down a bit. I can see where potential elements could have been set up to really show Diana the mortality of men, like Charlie the PTSD drunk sharp-shooter, but the movie didn't really follow through  with it. In the end, he was just useless.

Diana had no familiarity with the modern world nor the regions she had to travel to search out where Ares could be involved in encouraging WW I. So having a small team to guide her made the most sense. Otherwise, she would travel out on her own and the complaint would be how she could have figured out all the regions and battle locations on her own. And like you noted, it demonstrated to Diana how modern warfare was leading to undiagnosed ailments of that time like Charlie's PTSD. Which is what inspired her to venture out on her own path in charging into No Man's Land no matter what her companions warned her of in the way of German battle lines and the associated dangers.

I think you are trying to convince yourself to dislike a movie no matter what happened.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Diana had no familiarity with the modern world nor the regions she had to travel to search out where Ares could be involved in encouraging WW I. So having a small team to guide her made the most sense. Otherwise, she would travel out on her own and the complaint would be how she could have figured out all the regions and battle locations on her own. And like you noted, it demonstrated to Diana how modern warfare was leading to undiagnosed ailments of that time like Charlie's PTSD. Which is what inspired her to venture out on her own path in charging into No Man's Land no matter what her companions warned her of in the way of German battle lines and the associated dangers.

I think you are trying to convince yourself to dislike a movie no matter what happened.

I mean, he remembers Steve Trevor and Ares in the same breath as Monica and Yon-Rogg. CM has more memorable characters, though. :shy:

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm not saying the Wonder Team wasn't a bad idea, I just thought in the execution phase in the movie, they didn't add much. Steve Trevor was Diana's true guide through the world and the team didn't even use their particular skillset in the mission. When it came time for Charlie to shoot, he couldn't. Was this some kind of statement on male impotency or something? Now, I've only seen Wonder Woman: No Man's Land twice, not a dozen times or more like I have Captain Marvel or Endgame, so I can't pick it apart as well. I'll watch it again before I see WW84 on HBO Max, so maybe I missed something. But I don't think so. I think it's the movie that missed something.

And again, I liked Wonder Woman. But I liked Captain Marvel better.

56 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean, he remembers Steve Trevor and Ares in the same breath as Monica and Yon-Rogg. CM has more memorable characters, though. :shy:

Obviously Steve Trevor was memorable, he's Diana's beau. That's like saying Nick Fury was memorable in CM. It's obvious. I meant the other characters. I hardly remember Trevor's secretary, who started out promising but disappeared, or the Wonder Team squad. None of them really mattered to the story. But the other supporting characters in Captain Marvel, from Star Force to the Skrulls to the people Carol met on Earth all mattered to the story and to Carol and, as a consequence, were all memorable.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Obviously Steve Trevor was memorable, he's Diana's beau. That's like saying Nick Fury was memorable in CM. It's obvious. I meant the other characters. I hardly remember Trevor's secretary, who started out promising but disappeared, or the Wonder Team squad. None of them really mattered to the story. But the other supporting characters in Captain Marvel, from Star Force to the Skrulls to the people Carol met on Earth all mattered to the story and to Carol and, as a consequence, were all memorable.

But you remember her, and she wasn't even a secondary character.

The 2nd bold statement is wrong in every way, shape, and form.

Your bias is showing, again.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

13 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not saying the Wonder Team wasn't a bad idea, I just thought in the execution phase in the movie, they didn't add much. Steve Trevor was Diana's true guide through the world and the team didn't even use their particular skillset in the mission. When it came time for Charlie to shoot, he couldn't. Was this some kind of statement on male impotency or something? Now, I've only seen Wonder Woman: No Man's Land twice, not a dozen times or more like I have Captain Marvel or Endgame, so I can't pick it apart as well. I'll watch it again before I see WW84 on HBO Max, so maybe I missed something. But I don't think so. I think it's the movie that missed something.

And again, I liked Wonder Woman. But I liked Captain Marvel better.

It always comes down to that with you, doesn't it? MCU versus everyone else.

:facepalm:

19 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As others have said, it's pretty easy. Hope you enjoy!

I need to do something like this. I have a really big screen, and I do not want my first viewing of WW84 to be on a pad. I wish it would also be available on Prime, which I do have on my big screen. I'd pay a hefty rental fee to see it.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:59 AM, Bird said:

I was planning to screen mirror my phone to the tv and play it through the HBO MAX app. It works fine and I’ve watched a lot of movies like that but I can’t stream in 4K HDR so I think I will purchase this one on iTunes and run it though AppleTV in its highest resolution. 

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It always comes down to that with you, doesn't it? MCU versus everyone else.

:facepalm:

I know, I thought CM was a very weak entry and forgettable. My daughters said it was ok. They have no desire to revisit it but have re-watched both Ant-Man movies. We will all still watch CM2 in hopes it will be more enjoyable. But if you’re a family that loved CM, well that’s a win.