• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm not joking. Sure, William Moulton seemed to have a thing for putting Wonder Woman in bondage in the War years, but by the end of the story, everything was fine. That doesn't amount to the "real world" ringer Marvel Comics put Carol Danvers through. In fact, DC didn't start giving their characters the real world treatment until Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams did Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow. Superman didn't get the real world treatment until his appearance in Dark Knight Returns and when Alan Moore and John Byrne wrote him in the 80's. And Wonder Woman wasn't given that real world treatment until George Perez similarly re-invented her about the same time. But even then, the character of Diana didn't have her identity stolen from her, she didn't have her powers stripped away for years, she wasn't kidnapped and raped by an interdimensional being, and she wasn't betrayed by her adopted family like Carol was by both the Avengers and the X-Men.

I'm not doubting Wonder Woman's legacy as the first female super-hero. I'm just saying no female super-hero has had to deal with as much BS in her stories as Carol Danvers has.

We are on different pages, I’m not even thinking about their fictional stories, just their real world legacy and impact. By that rationale Carol Danvers hasn’t gone through half the sheet that Wile E. Coyote went through.

Edited by Grails

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm right. You brought up Captain Marvel first. And it makes perfect sense because, though Marvel has never had an A-list solo female super-hero, they now have their Wonder Woman in the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel. We're in a comic book movie forum and Wonder Woman has a movie coming out. If it's going to make sense anywhere, it's here.

As a joke, after which you chose to ram a meaningless 'comparison' into the ground.

Marvel still doesn't have an A-list solo female superhero. Captain Marvel is nothing like Wonder Woman, as has been mentioned multiple times. Please get the point. Or, if you don't, just drop it and get back on-topic (which is Wonder Woman - not Delusions of MCU vs Wonder Woman).

2 minutes ago, Grails said:

We are on different pages, I’m not even thinking about their fictional stories, just their real world legacy and impact. By that rationale Carol Danvers hasn’t gone through half the that the Coyote went through while that smug Road Runner kept humiliating him.

Right. You can't really compare their real world legacy and impact. Wonder Woman started life as an A-lister, has had several successful cartoons, a hit TV show, and decades of merchandising. She's been relevant culturally since WWII. Carol Danvers hasn't become an A-lister or even a household name until just recently and she still has some work to do. Without even any comparison to her now DC counterpart, no comic book character has gone through as much s***t in her stories as Carol Danvers has.