• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

Wonder Woman 1984 began its overseas rollout this week with 32 overseas territories. Gal Gadot’s DC Films sequel earned $38.5 million overall, down around 48% to around $73 million in “market to market” comparisons for Wonder Woman. Along with the obvious challenges in relation to the pandemic, the film opened quite soft in China, earning just $18.8 million compared to the $37.6 million debut for Wonder Woman back in 2017. So outside of China, its $19.7 million versus $35.4 million, a drop of around 44%.

going to take a lot of HBO Max subs to make up for the $500MM+ WW BO shortfall (vs pre-pandemic estimates) 

31 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Let's see how other major tent poles do under the same restrictions before we declare this one a flop, shall we?

It really is a rush to judge already. And to assume pre-COVID film success accounting as the standard to fall back on. But not shocking.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:41 AM, media_junkie said:

So the weakest act of Wonder Woman (Act 3) was studio interference?  Not surprised at all.  

So why exactly is WB known as a "director friendly" studio (at least that is what I keep reading in articles saying that since they are going to streaming 1st run movies in 2021 they will no longer be a "director friendly" studio) when they keep making the directors change their "vision" of the movie?

WB has dyslexia. They usually hire "friendly" directors.

23 hours ago, D84 said:

They were before trying to compete with Marvel's cinematic universe. At that point WB lost their mind trying to play catch up. 

WB's biggest mistake is trying to copy the MCU. Everyone says, "they should've done solo films first blah blah blah". Why? So you can just call Worlds of DC a copycat studio?

WB needed to let Snyder do his thing - the way Disney lets Feige do his thing. I don't think that Snyder cares about "catching up". I think that he just wants to direct good Superman, and Justice League, movies. And, really, that's all I want.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

WB's biggest mistake is trying to copy the MCU. Everyone says, "they should've done solo films first blah blah blah". Why? So you can just call Worlds of DC a copycat studio?

WB needed to let Snyder do his thing - the way Disney lets Feige do his thing. I don't think that Snyder cares about "catching up". I think that he just wants to direct good Superman, and Justice League, movies. And, really, that's all I want.

I agree. They didn't let Snyder do his thing and were trying to play catchup with Marvel, that's what caused most, if not all of the problems.

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Let's see how other major tent poles do under the same restrictions before we declare this one a flop, shall we?

going to be hard to find any comparables other than Tenet. If we're in a similar pandemic place when Bond is released in April we've got a lot worse problem than WW1984's box office to worry about.

25 minutes ago, paperheart said:

going to be hard to find any comparables other than Tenet. If we're in a similar pandemic place when Bond is released in April we've got a lot worse problem than WW1984's box office to worry about.

Unfortunately with medical experts saying the closer we get to 100% vaccination distribution in order to overcome this is still the hurdle - and anti-vaxxers working to convince people there is something hidden in the COVID vaccine ( :facepalm: ), we probably have a longer road ahead. Google has informed workers they are out of the office until September 2021. :whatthe:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You mean the movie that the Chinese government was subsidizing the tickets which Deadline noted above?

Hollywood journalists and critics pump-out propaganda to boost Wonder Woman.  Marvel/Disney or whoever boosted Captain Marvel's numbers....theaters were empty, but the box-office numbers kept going up.  So no excuses.

1 hour ago, ChillMan said:

Hollywood journalists and critics pump-out propaganda to boost Wonder Woman.  Marvel/Disney or whoever boosted Captain Marvel's numbers....theaters were empty, but the box-office numbers kept going up.  So no excuses.

Right? And Captain Marvel made it all the way through the pandemic at the time. It was incredible!

emotion01.gif.efbdecaaefc747878e611b15c9bb2e08.gif

:baiting: