• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,112 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Too lazy to dig out any more today but you get the idea. Man, it was great being a kid in SO CAL in the early 1950's!

We’re you ever a surf bum .??

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And since you didn't ask anyway, how 'bout I bore you with some more?

These little guys are called "Nutty Mads" They were sold in a bin at the grocery store for 29 cents. When we wren't whining for comics, my little brother and I would whine at my mom for one of these. She would say no, we would whine a little more and eventually she would cave. Then it was "the big choice" which one? which color? Man we were little monsters...

Here are all four sets. Came in many colors. At one time I wanted each figure in every color. I soon realized how much space they took up and how much I was spending to re-capture my youth and settled on keeping one of each in the rarest color I could find. Man, these are detailed. Nothing like those bloodshot little eyes!

marxnutmadhotrods.jpg

marxnuttymads2.jpg

marxnuttymads3.jpg

marxnuttymads4.jpg

I remember one of these being hard to find or valuable , is that true an do you have it

8 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

I remember one of these being hard to find or valuable , is that true an do you have it

The ones in the second photo are third series and the toughest to get especially in any color other than green.

The rarest ones of all are the military generals set. I have only seen two of the 6 but never owned any.

9 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

We’re you ever a surf bum .??

I surfed from about age 14 up until about 8 years ago. I wouldn’t say I was a “bum” as it never interfered with my regular life. I fondly remember many “dawn patrols” and road/camping surf trips from Baja CA to N CA with my buddies.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, Robot Man said:

I surfed from about age 14 up until about 8 years ago. I wouldn’t say I was a “bum” as it never interfered with my regular life. I fondly remember many “dawn patrols” and road/camping surf trips from Baja CA to N CA with my buddies.

I'm not a surfer, but my kids are getting into it.  My 16 yo son got his first surf board last year (boy they are expensive).  Before that he was borrowing boards from friends.  He's now driving my jeep so he can go off road to the best surfing spots. And his best friends are 2 blonde, blue eyed twin girls.  Ah, youth ...

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Fun flea market find this morning. MAD back to #25, (including a nice #30 1st Alfred E Neuman cover). A bunch of Help and Humbug and a Wonder Warthog #1! These are really drying up out in “the wild”.

F7E2454F-10A6-4666-8F24-F23C1D07C261.jpeg

AAC1589E-918D-46A1-AFF5-DCA779E634C7.jpeg

very nice find, I bet you got there early.....

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Always do. 5:30 but didn't get these until 8:00. The guy was just putting them out when I walked up. Probably should have bought them all but just cherry picked the best ones.

Great find on the MAD mags; I find the quality of the paper on those MAD magazines is pretty rough. I bought some readers and they all seem to want to pop out at the centerfold even with careful reading. The Helps and Humbugs are also great and hard to find these days. Kurtzman was a genius!

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Robot Man said:

Fun flea market find this morning. MAD back to #25, (including a nice #30 1st Alfred E Neuman cover). A bunch of Help and Humbug and a Wonder Warthog #1! These are really drying up out in “the wild”.

F7E2454F-10A6-4666-8F24-F23C1D07C261.jpeg

You are one lucky cat, Robot! Persistent I'm sure, but lucky too.  :applause:

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

You are one lucky cat, Robot! Persistent I'm sure, but lucky too.  :applause:

Pasteur said, "Chance favors the prepared mind."  It also favors the prepared collector, and no one is better prepared than Robot Man!

Tales from the flea market today...

A little dim but I am getting picked in my old age.

I was told to pull this big, heavy box out of one of my regular dealer’s truck. (Pays to be a good buyer.

Conversation:

Me: Cool, thanks! Oh, Dells :sorry:

Him: Yeah, but they are 10 centers...

Me: What do you want for these pretty beaters?

Him: Blank each work?

Me: Why yes, that works for me!  :banana:

D591619F-5C8D-4931-B3DE-33D46A270D09.jpeg