• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JAMES BOND: NO TIME TO DIE starring Daniel Craig (2021)
2 2

466 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2021 at 3:33 PM, Larryw7 said:

So who will be the next Bond? Or maybe this will be the last of the series.

After that production closeout speech it is clear Daniel Craig has wrapped up his run.

Betting sites keep leaning in on Idris Elba as the next Bond. Time will tell.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:33 PM, Larryw7 said:

So who will be the next Bond? Or maybe this will be the last of the series.

A relative unknown, maybe, given the lack of obvious candidates. 

I liked the idea of Cillian Murphy - something different - but he's too old now too. Dan Stevens? Nicholas Hoult? 

Who do you think then Larry, having asked the question? @Larryw7

Craig has done the manly man thing too well for anyone to follow in the same vein and not be adversely compared, so something different is needed, wouldn't you say? 

On 9/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, Larryw7 said:

Personally, I would like a return to the more gentlemanly and less gritty Bond. But I don't know which contemporary actor is up for the challenge.

Yes. Not many 'Rogers' around any more, is there. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:52 AM, Larryw7 said:

Personally, I would like a return to the more gentlemanly and less gritty Bond. But I don't know which contemporary actor is up for the challenge.

There is definitely a lot of thought put into the consideration process. And it all comes down to one person making the decision.

ESQUIRE: Who Will Actually Be the Next James Bond? An In-Depth Analysis

We're not likely to find out who it is too soon. While discussing the new James Bond movie, No Time to Die, producer Barbara Broccoli – Cubby's daughter, and the woman who holds the future of the James Bond franchise in her palms – even went so far as to explicitly rule out anyone being casted as the new Bond until "the dust has settled" on the Daniel Craig era.

"I always say: you can only be in love with one person at a time," she said in an interview with Total Film. "Once [No Time to Die]'s come out, then some time will pass, and then we’ll have to get on to the business of the future. But for now, we just cannot think about anything beyond Daniel." Seems fairly cut and dried to us, then.

But what makes a Bond? Broccoli says he's now a more mutable figure than he used to be. "It will have to be reimagined, in the way each actor has reimagined the role," she said. "That’s what is so exciting and fun about this franchise; the character evolves. Eventually, when we have to think about it, we’ll find the right person."

So yes: that means James Bond can be non-white. He can be non-British, Broccoli confirmed. But he can't – for now, at least – be a woman. "We should create roles for women, not just turn a man into a woman," Broccoli said, echoing sentiments she expressed in early 2020.

Candidate names mentioned:

• Lashana Lynch
  • Dev Patel
  • Luke Evans
  • Regé-Jean Page
  • Tom Holland
  • Cillian Murphy
  • Tom Hardy
  • Robert Pattinson

On 9/22/2021 at 4:01 PM, Bosco685 said:

Actually...

• Riz Ahmed
  • Richard Madden
  • Michael Fassbender

Of those three I'd pick Fassbender but at 44 he's already too old if he's to do two or three films. Madden I find a bit lightweight - not enough to him, and the other bloke I don't know so can only judge him on looks - and he looks more like a villain. Which might be good, if we're looking for something different.  

On 9/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Of those three I'd pick Fassbender but at 44 he's already too old if he's to do two or three films. Madden I find a bit lightweight - not enough to him, and the other bloke I don't know so can only judge him on looks - and he looks more like a villain. Which might be good, if we're looking for something different.  

I don't know if I would rule him out just yet on looks. His acting is outstanding, whether hero (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) or villain (Venom).

On 9/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

I don't know if I would rule him out just yet on looks.

I didn't, I just said he looked more villain-like in the pictures I looked up and then said that might be a good thing.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bosco685 said:

His acting is outstanding, whether hero (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) or villain (Venom).

I haven't seen Venom, oddly enough, and don't remember him standing out in Rogue One. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I didn't, I just said he looked more villain-like in the pictures I looked up and then said that might be a good thing.

I haven't seen Venom, oddly enough, and don't remember him standing out in Rogue One. 

He most probably would not be in the Top Five list. But he does bring plenty of energy to his roles.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

He most probably would not be in the Top Five list. But he does bring plenty of energy to his roles.

If they can act, have something about them, and are backed by a good story, it can work. There's the traditional Bond, then there's something new. Many thought Craig was too ugly, too humourless. But he brought something unexpected - a raw masculinity - and it worked. Especially in the first three, I thought. Just the look of him walking across the desert in QOS was stunning, and I don't mean that in any sexual way. I think he will be hard to top. An extraordinary physical presence. You can replace quips and eyebrows with brutal physicality, I think, but can you go back the other way afterwards? What do they do next.....

On 9/22/2021 at 12:22 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

If they can act, have something about them, and are backed by a good story, it can work. There's the traditional Bond, then there's something new. Many thought Craig was too ugly, too humourless. But he brought something unexpected - a raw masculinity - and it worked. Especially in the first three, I thought. Just the look of him walking across the desert in QOS was stunning, and I don't mean that in any sexual way. I think he will be hard to top. An extraordinary physical presence. You can replace quips and eyebrows with brutal physicality, I think, but can you go back the other way afterwards? What do they do next.....

Totally get what you are meaning.

On 9/22/2021 at 6:27 PM, Gatsby77 said:

What happened to all the Henry Cavill gossip?

I haven't kept up lately but thought he was still on the short list just a month ago.

I haven't either, kept up on the gossip that is, but I can't see him in the role at all. 

Daniel Craig feels the focus for the franchise shouldn't just be about the next James Bond. But also spin-off characters to grow this world.

Daniel Craig weighs in on whether the next James Bond should be played by a woman

Over the years, everyone from Idris Elba and Regé-Jean Page to Emily Blunt and Gal Gadot has been floated as a replacement for Craig. But the actor has his own thoughts on whether the time is right to reinvent the role so dramatically. In a new interview with Radio Times, Craig discussed why he thinks the conversation goes beyond Bond and should entail creating exciting new characters as opposed to reimagining existing ones.

"The answer to that is very simple," Craig said when asked about the possibility of a woman or actor of color taking over the franchise."There should simply be better parts for women and actors of color. Why should a woman play James Bond when there should be a part just as good as James Bond, but for a woman?"

It's worth noting that No Time to Die is already making history by featuring breakout Captain Marvel star Lashana Lynch as the first Black actress to achieve "00" status. In fact, her character, Nomi, is rumored to actually be the new 007 in the film, at least until Bond comes out of his post-Spectre retirement. In an interview with Harper's Bazaar U.K. last year, Lynch described how she accepted the part because she'd be placed on equal footing with Craig and not "behind the man."

If this became a reality, more than a few of these actors and actresses could end up in this franchise.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

Daniel Craig feels the focus for the franchise shouldn't just be about the next James Bond. But also spin-off characters to grow this world.

Daniel Craig weighs in on whether the next James Bond should be played by a woman

If this became a reality, more than a few of these actors and actresses could end up in this franchise.

It's worth noting that in the books 008 was a woman, although she was only referenced - I don't believe she ever actually appeared. And her ethnicity was never mentioned.