• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 10:08 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

For the last year or so I’ve been collecting sealed or very clean first pressings of classic albums. 

B2AA71EF-E84E-4BF7-9517-087CE63B7F98.jpeg

14A19607-6409-405C-9908-02615B79A26C.jpeg

91CE2DDA-C7E4-4593-87B6-464F052C2E40.jpeg

4C8D8E84-DFF7-404D-81F9-E3772FF1BC73.jpeg

92036AC8-340D-40CC-BDC2-5D2FF949938C.jpeg

3220855C-D5B1-4CA5-B50A-435A6F138F13.jpeg

E8B65D28-719D-4DAA-9067-5272D8F14363.jpeg

Disraeli Gears…:x

I’m a geezer. Bought many of those new. Have bought vinyl all my life. But, like my comics, played them and kept them in real nice condition. Can’t really say I “collect” them but “use” them for the music they contain.

There is no better way to hear great music. Digital just doesn’t cut it for me. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, Robot Man said:

Disraeli Gears…:x

I’m a geezer. Bought many of those new. Have bought vinyl all my life. But, like my comics, played them and kept them in real nice condition. Can’t really say I “collect” them but “use” them for the music they contain.

There is no better way to hear great music. Digital just doesn’t cut it for me. 

I grew up listening to vinyl and have a stronger emotional connection to music than comics, surprisingly.

I think there are a lot of true collectors of vinyl out there- probably more of them than comics collectors.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I grew up listening to vinyl and have a stronger emotional connection to music than comics, surprisingly.

I think there are a lot of true collectors of vinyl out there- probably more of them than comics collectors.

Very true. People have collected records a lot longer than comics. Music has always been one of the most important things in my life. I was raised in a house with blues, jazz and rock a billy music playing. First time I heard The Rolling Stones, I was hooked.

Since you like music and collecting, you gotta pick up a copy of this book. I guarantee, you won’t be able to put it down until you are finished. 

0610A851-59C2-41F0-876C-691A8E4D5DEB.jpeg

On 7/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Since you like the Stones @Robot Man here are a few more I have picked up  

48AA7A03-DFA7-4641-B366-DA6033A8CD21.jpeg

D1BF6B9D-AB5A-4123-9F77-C8A7262A9FDD.jpeg

8AA9F51E-9EAF-43F5-BFE7-4AAFB907CD7F.jpeg

Nice! Those first few albums are some of my favorite. I still have my original mono copies. Well worn and replaced though.

I recently reconnected with my best friend from childhood. We remember riding out bikes to the record store to buy them with our allowance money.

Even my mom liked those. My dad, not so much…:roflmao:

On 7/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, Robot Man said:

Very true. People have collected records a lot longer than comics. Music has always been one of the most important things in my life. I was raised in a house with blues, jazz and rock a billy music playing. First time I heard The Rolling Stones, I was hooked.

Since you like music and collecting, you gotta pick up a copy of this book. I guarantee, you won’t be able to put it down until you are finished. 

0610A851-59C2-41F0-876C-691A8E4D5DEB.jpeg

read this (ibook)  6 months ago based on a recommendation here (probably you R-Man!), it is incredible !! I own several dozen 78's, but the ones talked about in this book are off-the-chart insane !!

On 5/26/2022 at 1:10 PM, Colin The Librarian said:

Then you will enjoy the John Peel Wiki. 

Let's say you're looking for available shows and track listings for 1982. Then you take a fancy to checking the 4th May Show. Then you see the full show is available. Click on the relevant Mooo link - 2 hours 5 minutes long (3) and enter: User Name: peel Password: group

And as if by magic, you will have access to that show plus many others available on the Mooo server. There are other file archives available via the Wiki, I only mention that one because it's particularly good. 

Many of my own show recordings are available through the Wiki. Have a look around!

I will ... thank you so much !!

On 7/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, Bronty said:

Never been a huge rush fan, but great illustration on that Fly by Night.    Do we know who the artist is?

Eraldo Carugati was the artist. I love Rush :headbang:

Little trivia fact; he also did the solo album covers for KISS

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

On 7/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, fishbone said:

read this (ibook)  6 months ago based on a recommendation here (probably you R-Man!), it is incredible !! I own several dozen 78's, but the ones talked about in this book are off-the-chart insane !!

Yeah it was probably me. The folks who collect these very early and super rare 78’s are VERY obsecessive. They make comic collectors look like rookies. Their stories are fascinating.

This book was very educational to me as well. I have actually dug out some real great ones at flea markets and estate sales. I sold a few on eBay and was shocked what they went for. You just have to remember labels and genres and have a little luck.

Knowledge is everything…

On 7/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, fishbone said:

...and you and I could NOT be friends ( no Rush, no happy)

I don't hate them.    On the spectrum between love and hate I'm a couple degrees towards love, but definitely more in the middle.

That aside it seems to be one of those polarizing bands.    People who love them really love them, and that's cool, usually a sign there's some depth to the work.   

No idea on illustrator?

On 7/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah it was probably me. The folks who collect these very early and super rare 78’s are VERY obsecessive. They make comic collectors look like rookies. Their stories are fascinating.

I think you undercount your energy and acumen in building your various collections of scarce and rare items.  I have a relative with many 78 rarities and the same things you and I do as collectors are what lead to success in that field.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:03 PM, Bronty said:

I don't hate them.    On the spectrum between love and hate I'm a couple degrees towards love, but definitely more in the middle.

That aside it seems to be one of those polarizing bands.    People who love them really love them, and that's cool, usually a sign there's some depth to the work.   

No idea on illustrator?

I posted the illustrator above. 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, BitterOldMan said:

You guys are sounding a lot like Robert Crumb.

67AC1034-2751-4101-A3E2-0B17454E5DD7.jpeg.71b7e0d23d42c5e95fdd14e7fe2a3d06.jpeg

Crumb has one of the best collections of rare blues and jazz 78’s out there. The book I posted above is full of stories like this.

I remember as a teenager an older friend took me over to Bob Hite (of Canned Heat) house in Topanga Canyon. I’d never seen so many 78s. Wall to wall blues and jazz. Wonder what happened to that collection?