• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,590 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, PopKulture said:

My wife is trying to convince me to embrace a similar but more aggressive approach: she suggests I get rid of two items for each new item I acquire! 

As of now I remain unconvinced.  :/

My wife doesn’t really care or has given up. As long as I don’t clutter up the house or put out anything to weird or objectionable to her. The gloves come off in my room though.

She has been a rather high end antique dealer for years so she gets the concept. She, for the most part, isn’t a collector though. Everything is merchandise to her. I hate to think of the beautiful Tiffany lamps, art pottery and paintings that have passed through her hands.

She has rarely given me a hard time as long as I don’t mess up her house or use  community property funds to purchase “junk”…

On 5/22/2024 at 11:14 AM, PopKulture said:

My wife is trying to convince me to embrace a similar but more aggressive approach: she suggests I get rid of two items for each new item I acquire! 

Just tell her she's convinced you to give up collecting junk. From here on in you're going to devote your spare time and money to drinking in strip joints like a mature adult man.

:50849494_winkemoji:

On 5/22/2024 at 8:33 AM, Robot Man said:

My wife doesn’t really care or has given up. As long as I don’t clutter up the house or put out anything to weird or objectionable to her. The gloves come off in my room though.

She has been a rather high end antique dealer for years so she gets the concept. She, for the most part, isn’t a collector though. Everything is merchandise to her. I hate to think of the beautiful Tiffany lamps, art pottery and paintings that have passed through her hands.

She has rarely given me a hard time as long as I don’t mess up her house or use  community property funds to purchase “junk”…

Does she have any Rice or Gearhart or other California arts and crafts woodblocks hanging around waiting for buyers? 

On 5/22/2024 at 10:39 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Looked it up 8440 Sunset Blvd was a glamorous hotel.

Davey Jones was living like a king.  Not too bad for a 22 year old at the time.  (thumbsu

The hotel was actually across the street from the Screen Gems lot where they filmed the TV show. LONG LIVE THE MONKEES !! 

On 5/22/2024 at 9:54 PM, sfcityduck said:

Does she have any Rice or Gearhart or other California arts and crafts woodblocks hanging around waiting for buyers? 

I asked her and she said no. She told me that Arts and Crafts material is pretty soft these days. Sad, I have always liked it. The big trend from the past few years is Mid Century Modern. (1950’s era stuff). Other than cars, guitars and comics, it does nothing for me. 

Cool! Your Frankenstein bucket still has the original price tag and the nose betrays no rub marks. (thumbsu How/when did you acquire it?

???

On 6/8/2024 at 6:01 PM, Jayman said:

One of my youngest grandsons collects Garbage Pail Kids cards. He finally got a double of this card that I told him I liked. He gave it to me the other day! :x

IMG_3555.jpeg

I think my daughter’s large hoard of these are still here. Her and all her friends loved them. The marketing was great. By putting names on them it made kids buy more and trade among themselves to get their own names.

In my childhood, I collected the sick Civil War News and Mars Attacks cards. The more twisted, the more kids want them. 

On 5/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Looked it up 8440 Sunset Blvd was a glamorous hotel.

Davey Jones was living like a king.  Not too bad for a 22 year old at the time.  (thumbsu

On 5/23/2024 at 9:23 AM, Chicago Boy said:

The hotel was actually across the street from the Screen Gems lot where they filmed the TV show. LONG LIVE THE MONKEES !! 

I remember that Davey Jones license, really cool. The L.A. 60's music and Hollywood scene has been an interest of mine for a while. A few things I've learned- The biggest band in LA in those years was Love fronted by Arthur Lee.They were originally called the Grass Roots but their name got stolen by another band so they changed it to Love. They would fill up an entire block called Cosmos Alley every night. That must have been fun. Most of the new bands in LA circa 65/66 were not good live, even terrible. Most of the bands didn't even play on their albums., they used studio musicians.  The Mothers of Invention and Love could actually play their intruments and really well.. So this guy Vito and his friend Carl had a dance school. There were about 20 or so guys and gals that would go to the shows and dance in front of the stage like freaks so they became known as The Freaks. People would go to the shows more to see the dancers carrying on than hear the bands. According to Zappa and Johnny Echols of Love. 

The Monkees were part of the scene. Mainly Mickey and Peter. Mike wasn't into it but he became very close friends with Frank Zappa.   Peter's house was a 24/7 party house for a while. He was a nudist. Walk around buck naked all the time.