• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2024 at 7:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice group Don! Ever run across a bottle for this soda? Been looking for one for quite a while.

alfredsign.jpg

I’ve never seen that bottle. It looks like it was probably a paper label instead of the more familiar pyro-glazed or “painted label” (or alternatively ACL for “applied color label”) as seen above. Perhaps it was never made like Victor Fox’s Kooba Kola? 

On 3/6/2024 at 6:53 PM, PopKulture said:

I’ve never seen that bottle. It looks like it was probably a paper label instead of the more familiar pyro-glazed or “painted label” (or alternatively ACL for “applied color label”) as seen above. Perhaps it was never made like Victor Fox’s Kooba Kola? 

I have only seen a picture of one. So, I know it existed. Might have been a small regional bottler.

The sign I pictured is a nice tin litho example. It is 6” x 13” and probably from the 1930’s. My wife picked it up for me in one of her buying trips. Stoked to own it!

On 2/10/2024 at 5:07 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

Here’s mine. I also have Big Loo!

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

Wow! Those two chaps are boss!

I remember admiring a Great Garloo in the downtown Kresge store in 1961. I pointed it out to my mother but at a price of Cdn.$12.99-$14.99(?) it was a definite non-starter.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:40 AM, Robot Man said:

Great display David. Love the playsets. I also have the King Zor dinosaur. Roll balls at him and he comes back to you in attack mode. Scares the carp outta my dogs! :roflmao:

Great stuff! I covet an Ideal King Zor and Odd Ogg even more than I do a Great Garloo these days.

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

On 2/10/2024 at 1:23 PM, Robot Man said:

I got it out of the back of a truck at the Brimfield, MA flea market many years ago. My daughter was so great to push it around all day in a shopping cart. I had my flashlight with me so I got to test it before I bought it and it worked well. Although I don't have the box, it is totally complete and working. I was stoked to find it.

Cool! Freddie Poe, a very good posting buddy and hardcore vintage monster item collector, lives near Brimfield and sets up a booth at that flea market. But I've never been there myself.

(thumbsu

On 3/6/2024 at 11:17 AM, PopKulture said:

I had always thought a whole wall full of soda bottles would be a cool display, but it’s difficult when other stuff demands wall space. Most of my bottles sit patiently in sturdy old cardboard beer cases still except for a few bookcase shelves where I rotate various bottles through…

A62564B6-A213-42AA-AD0C-05696C0CF47D.jpeg

Sometimes, I pick up old bottles when my wife and I hit the antique market. Bought this turn-of-the-century Coke bottle at one a few years ago for $10. A few years ago I also became enamored with bottle-caps and picked up a few rare ones along the way.  Also bought a whole case of old hobble skirt Coke bottles in a stunning yellow case for $20 bucks total at an estate sale a few years ago.

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

On 3/7/2024 at 10:23 AM, Robot Man said:

I have only seen a picture of one. So, I know it existed. Might have been a small regional bottler.

The sign I pictured is a nice tin litho example. It is 6” x 13” and probably from the 1930’s. My wife picked it up for me in one of her buying trips. Stoked to own it!

I don't know if this is the same as what you're looking for RM, but there are a few on EBay.  Looks like it was a regional soda made in Wisconsin.

Cherry Sparkle Bottle 1

Cherry Sparkle Bottle 2

On 2/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, batman_fan said:

I will be kicking myself for the next decade for not bidding more

Another one will come along...

On 1/11/2024 at 12:28 AM, Ameri said:

Here's a strange thing I recently picked up. Someone took an oil can and made a lamp out of it. Some sources say that the Marvel Mystery Comics title was based on the oil can hm

20231220_150554.jpg

20231220_162303.jpg

marvel mystery oil sign.jpg

So that's what my mother and father meant when they talked about oil lamps....

On 7/8/2023 at 1:07 AM, Drgoldage said:

image.thumb.jpg.5612387dde4917fe4f090fc7396bf9d4.jpgAnother Buster Brown early platinum age 

Do these collect the strips or do they contain brand new art?

On 8/1/2017 at 1:40 PM, Straw-Man said:

i'm also a first edition book collector.

Apparently, I am now too!  Billy, thanks for getting me started!

On 3/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, Hepcat said:

Oh wow! I love the old ten ounce refillable pop bottles! I have a custom built pantry in the kitchen dedicated to my small bottle and milk glass collection. Here are some pictures from ten to thirteen years ago:

Abottle3.jpg

BottleCabinet.jpg

BottleCabinet2.jpg

DSCN3656_zpslsriaysi.jpg

DSCN3659_zps8t8cw6yo.jpg

:peace:

I saw a lot of bottles I've never seen - which is unusual - and then I looked and saw that you're in Canada! Now it makes sense. I did recognize that Canadian Kik, so that tipped me off... 

A lot of your bottles look nice and clean.  :x

On 3/7/2024 at 1:54 PM, pemart1966 said:

Do these collect the strips or do they contain brand new art?

Overwhelmingly, they are strip reprints. On occasion, some of these Platinum Age books collect daily strips which are shown in color for the first time, but more often than not they reprint the Sunday color pages.

Here are some phone pics of the bottles on that same shelf that occasionally rotate through. They're fun to hunt for, and quite inexpensive, and it's absolutely crazy how many different brands there were before the national and then global brands came to dominate. 

20231212_183317.jpg

20231212_183836.jpg

20231212_184340.jpg

20231212_184730.jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 11:10 AM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I don't know if this is the same as what you're looking for RM, but there are a few on EBay.  Looks like it was a regional soda made in Wisconsin.

Cherry Sparkle Bottle 1

Cherry Sparkle Bottle 2

Thanks. I’m looking for one with the pre-MAD Alfred E Neuman pictured on them. 

On 3/7/2024 at 9:27 AM, Hepcat said:

Cool! Freddie Poe, a very good posting buddy and hardcore vintage monster item collector, lives near Brimfield and sets up a booth at that flea market. But I've never been there myself.

(thumbsu

You gotta go to Brimfield before you die. A week long extravaganza of flea markets. Probably the biggest in the country. I haven’t been since Covid but it used to be the place you walk around with your wallet in your hand.

On 3/7/2024 at 9:36 AM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Sometimes, I pick up old bottles when my wife and I hit the antique market. Bought this turn-of-the-century Coke bottle at one a few years ago for $10. A few years ago I also became enamored with bottle-caps and picked up a few rare ones along the way.  Also bought a whole case of old hobble skirt Coke bottles in a stunning yellow case for $20 bucks total at an estate sale a few years ago.

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

I used to collect bottle caps as a kid but just lost interest. Still something (other than rare examples) you can get for about a buck apiece.

Edited by Robot Man

On 3/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, PopKulture said:

I saw a lot of bottles I've never seen - which is unusual - and then I looked and saw that you're in Canada! Now it makes sense. I did recognize that Canadian Kik, so that tipped me off... 

Bottle collecting is very regional by nature. Collecting just anything made across the nation is just too overwhelming a task space wise. I therefore collect the ten ounce pop bottles I remember growing up in London, Ontario plus whatever other bottles that were used somewhere else in Ontario but look mega cool. Similarly my ACL milk bottles are all from Ontario (the closer to London the better) but I further specialize in the 1/4 and 1/2 pint sizes to keep my collection within manageable limits.

Here are some individual shots:

(edited)_DSCN4168_zps7ajohqzu.png

(edited)_DSCN4166_zpsb2ug2dfx.png

15350dca-b8f2-46d4-b77c-f715858a28ef_zps

QuarterPints3.jpg

QuarterPints5.jpg

HalfPints.jpg

:)

On 3/7/2024 at 4:22 PM, PopKulture said:

Here are some phone pics of the bottles on that same shelf that occasionally rotate through. They're fun to hunt for, and quite inexpensive, and it's absolutely crazy how many different brands there were before the national and then global brands came to dominate. 

Sweet! Were most of those brands distributed in Illinois?

???