• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Zonker said:

Yeah, I'm just saying for the average moviegoer (and film reviewer), it likewise makes no difference that Doctor Fate was introduced in the comics two decades plus prior to Doctor Strange.  It's what they are seeing on the screen in front of them, compared to what they remember seeing in other genre movies in the recent past.

I forgot to mention Eternium <=> Vibranium in the earlier list doh!

And it's not just what they are seeing, but what they are hearing as well.  The use of Players' "Baby Come Back" would have been a lot more amusing if that schtick hadn't already been done by James Gunn in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.  

But be fair. I didn't say "earlier in the comics". Right? These are popular shows and animated movies that was even a hit with the general audiences. Not just comic book fans.

The Young Justice Show was brought back after years of cancellation hell due to massive demand.

But I would agree, after a while all this content is going to get blurred in as one massive comic book genre. It's inevitable.

I may be an anomaly but I haven't actually heard anyone comparing Dr Fate, as he appeared in this film, to Dr Strange yet. 

On 12/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, alexgross.com said:

yes you have. at least two of us have already mentioned it. plus it just came out yesterday on hbo. 

B2A46BA9-218C-4A6A-9F15-51E7A904FA91.jpeg

EB2C8E80-D702-4016-971D-683A57EB6B04.jpeg

I stand corrected. 

This week saw Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam movie finally make its streaming debut, premiering on HBO Max after its theatrical run had largely come to an end.

After just one day of being available on Warner Bros. Discovery's streamer, the DC movie has already leaped to the top of the charts. HBO Max doesn't have an official Top 10 list like Netflix, but third party viewer tracker Flix Patrol reveals that The Rock's new movie is a streaming hit. The new film's arrival has quickly knocked off the Searchlight Pictures movie Amsterdam which has been the #1 movie for nearly 10 days.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

I respect you both are just sharing your experiences and opinions. It's part of having a good chat on here.

But I do pick up on those that are less connected to the full DC productions (including animated shows and movies). Doctor Fate has even been portrayed like he was in Black Adam going back to 2011 in the Young Justice popular series, long before the 2016 Doctor Strange MCU movie.

So if someone is far more targeting Marvel films and shows, then you won't be aware what we saw in Doctor Strange (2016) and even now in Black Adam has been done repeatedly through Doctor Fate's many appearances. And would also assume "DC is copying Marvel".

Even if we went back to Smallville Season 9 with the JSA two-part series (2010), we had the same type of Doctor Fate portrayal. One of the episodes, 'Absolute Justice', went hard on Doctor Fate's powers.

Again, being a Marvel-heavy forum people are not as aware of these things to connect the dots. So the assumption (like in 2017 that Wonder Woman was copying Captain America) is DC is copying Marvel. Kind of like the Multiverse concept, which was introduced in DC shows and animated movies such as Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013).

And that's just one character. If we allow it, "black guy flying - must be Sam" could be another trap we fall into based on forced comparisons.

Wouldn't it be ironic if all this public discussion about DC movies being derivative of Marvel became the basis of a copyright lawsuit brought by DC?  For a long time Marvel was significantly derivative of DC in the comic books.  I think that's common knowledge in the industry.  Would be interesting if the use of those original DC concepts in movies caused provable harm and brought about legal action.  

On 12/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

I respect you both are just sharing your experiences and opinions. It's part of having a good chat on here.

But I do pick up on those that are less connected to the full DC productions (including animated shows and movies). Doctor Fate has even been portrayed like he was in Black Adam going back to 2011 in the Young Justice popular series, long before the 2016 Doctor Strange MCU movie.

So if someone is far more targeting Marvel films and shows, then you won't be aware what we saw in Doctor Strange (2016) and even now in Black Adam has been done repeatedly through Doctor Fate's many appearances. And would also assume "DC is copying Marvel".

Even if we went back to Smallville Season 9 with the JSA two-part series (2010), we had the same type of Doctor Fate portrayal. One of the episodes, 'Absolute Justice', went hard on Doctor Fate's powers.

Again, being a Marvel-heavy forum people are not as aware of these things to connect the dots. So the assumption (like in 2017 that Wonder Woman was copying Captain America) is DC is copying Marvel. Kind of like the Multiverse concept, which was introduced in DC shows and animated movies such as Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013).

And that's just one character. If we allow it, "black guy flying - must be Sam" could be another trap we fall into based on forced comparisons.

Wouldn't it be ironic if all this public discussion about DC movies being derivative of Marvel became the basis of a copyright lawsuit brought by DC?  For a long time Marvel was significantly derivative of DC in the comic books.  I think that's common knowledge in the industry.  Would be interesting if the use of those original DC concepts in movies caused provable harm and brought about legal action.  

On 12/19/2022 at 2:51 AM, Nick Furious said:

That would be impossible. 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:48 PM, bronze_rules said:

Just watched it . and here's a case where I expected a big snooze fest based on the gnashing of teeth here and elsewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised and entertained, much more than Black Widow or The Batman. I was wondering how he would get out of that self imposed trap and liked how Fate intervened to make that happen. Also, they showed a little bit more dimension that just a hate filled villain, IMO.

While I enjoyed Dr. Fate, though, I liked the smallville version a lot better. Instead of having that kind of arrogant Brosnan interpretation, I liked the smallville version, where he was battling mental instability with his alter ego. Dr. Fate's final speech and contribution was quite good though.

Agreed. I liked it, not loved it, at the theatre and saw it again this weekend on streaming and liked it better on the rewatch. It sucks that we will not see a Rock vs Cavill battle now, but I liked it better than the Batman (will the sequel suck more than the first one lol)/Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals/Doctor Strange 2 (I can't comment on Thor L&T, Wakanda Forever, or No Way Home as I have not and will not likely every watch them). It reminded me of a Phase 1 MCU film which was a good thing.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, alexgross.com said:

i was shocked at how nearly identical the scenes of dr fate multiplying himself were to dr strange doing that years ago, i believe in his first film.

Infinity War, you mean.

I don't care who did it first, it was sick both times.

I watched it finally last night.  Overall, pretty good. not great.  so many slugfests! Im so sick of these godlike powered beings punching each other.  what's up with that?  And the victim is shot away for miles through buildings etc etc, and faceplant skids on streets.... And gets right up.  Or, worse, doesn't, as if a punch could stop them.  I dont think I can suggest a better way for them to fight, or resolve their differences, but punching each other doesn't work.  And after 20 years of superhero films Im kinda sick of it.

Doctor Fate was well done.  To me as a boomer, Fate was a lame GA character. Honestly, after 50 years of comics reading, if you asked me what his powers are I couldn't tell you!  But in this film I too am thinking he's like Dr Strange! As for DC looking like they are copying with scenes and powers that Marvel already did in movies even though DC did them first in comics -- well, poor John Carter!  Burroughs did EVERYTHING first but when his film came out it was old hat. and tanked.  Thats on the filmmakers for stubbornly writing and filming a scene because its true to the character's source material, as opposed to creating something NEW and unseen..

Anyway, Black Adam makes me worry that its one more giant step to the end of the comic book movie hegemony and success era. And once again, Warners can't seem to replicate the easy going blend of superheroing, and comedy and comradery that Feige's Marvel team does so well. The stakes seem so much higher in their best films, and so much more fun and inconsequential in their smaller less serious efforts.  Goes back to the 60s when DC was king and then upstart Marvel came along and was a breath of fresh air.

Which is painful to state because I was always a DC guy back then!  60 years later they STILL cant get out of their own way!

On 12/19/2022 at 11:17 PM, kimik said:

Can't stand Tom Holland as Spidey. 

He was one of the few heroes I would have been fine with staying dead post-End Game.

I agree. In No Way Home was both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield showed us how much Tom Holland sucks as Spider-Man. 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, D84 said:

I agree. In No Way Home was both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield showed us how much Tom Holland sucks as Spider-Man. 

I haven't read much Spider-Man in my days (I get most of my lore from movies, shows, and games) but - to me - no MJ is like having Superman with no Lois. I love Holland as Parker, but his 'World of Spider-Man' has always felt off.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't read much Spider-Man in my days (I get most of my lore from movies, shows, and games) but - to me - no MJ is like having Superman with no Lois. I love Holland as Parker, but his 'World of Spider-Man' has always felt off.

I was very excited when Spider-Man was able to play again in the wider Marvel world. Appreciated some of what we got. But I have to agree, something has always been off for me with Tom Holland's Peter Parker. Especially the blind cheer to never include Uncle Ben again because, "we have seen his death so many times before!".

Spider-Man: No Way Home was a massive experience because it brought back so many characters from the first two franchises blended in the modern MCU world for me. I was really happy with all that fan service, which then when they tried it in Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness unfortunately that didn't work for me. It's a tricky thing trying to make that fan-requested expectation land solidly.

Edited by Bosco685