• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2022 at 9:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

I was very excited when Spider-Man was able to play again in the wider Marvel world. Appreciated some of what we got. But I have to agree, something has always been off for me with Tom Holland's Peter Parker. Especially the blind cheer to never include Uncle Ben again because, "we have seen his death so many times before!".

Spider-Man: No Way Home was a massive experience because it brought back so many characters from the first two franchises blended in the modern MCU world for me. I was really happy with all that fan service, which then when they tried it in Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness unfortunately that didn't work for me. It's a tricky thing trying to make that fan-requested expectation land solidly.

I'm okay with skipping his origin, which I think that most people would agree with for this particular Spider-Man. It would have been beneficial to squeeze some references to Ben in the first couple of movies, though. Again with a Superman comparison, it would be like telling us a Clark Kent story without referencing Jon.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm okay with skipping his origin, which I think that most people would agree with for this particular Spider-Man. It would have been beneficial to squeeze some references to Ben in the first couple of movies, though. Again with a Superman comparison, it would be like telling us a Clark Kent story without referencing Jon.

Agreed!

The two go hand-in-hand in influencing the lore of the character and their personal motivation to be a better individual. To ignore Ben as just some initials on an old suitcase and call it done surprised me how that linkage is key to the character's relevance and emotional impact.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

Fkc_-z9UUAIEFHk.thumb.jpeg.78d02c6f8e3703b92da0fd8efc8e3b25.jpeg

Fkc_-z9UAAA3FIT.thumb.jpeg.a1eb5a8bb9c293bc5165a875b79c09a7.jpeg

What does this mean for BA spin-offs like the mentioned JSA projects? Dead too? 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, Cat said:

I would assume so.  At this point unless it is "already in the can" or James Gunn specifically says they are doing it, I would not count on it getting made, no matter what had been previously announced.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, media_junkie said:

I would assume so.  At this point unless it is "already in the can" or James Gunn specifically says they are doing it, I would not count on it getting made, no matter what had been previously announced.

And there's the kicker. I knew it but didn't want to admit it. Damn. 

On 12/20/2022 at 7:17 PM, Cat said:

The DCEU is dead.

It's okay, though, we'll still have 3 random, separate universes in the future. This plan is totally non-confusing for comic books fans, and I'm sure the casual audiences will be up-to-speed in no time...

Spoiler

/s

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

Poor Black Adam 2.

It's now joined the ranks of:

• Justice League 2
  • Man of Steel 2 (twice)
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • New Gods
  • The Trench
  • Deathstroke
  • Gotham City Sirens
  • Deadshot
  • Cyborg
  • The Wonder Twins
  • Batgirl

Over 9+ year's DCEU's batting average of announced vs. actually produced is <50%.

Meanwhile, WBD's share price is hovering around $9.00, less than the price of a movie ticket.

watched it last night with my brother-- we were astonished with how terrible it was. Not only the acting-- the plot and the writing were all garbage. I'm not a big DC fan to begin with but this just seemed like someone pretending to know how to create a superhero movie. Sure wish I had bothered to check out the reviews on this thread before wasting my time-- though fairly early my brother and I went MST3000 mode and made fun of everything. I guess you could go that route to find something redeeming about this stinking pile of dog waste.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Poor Black Adam 2.

It's now joined the ranks of:

• Justice League 2
  • Man of Steel 2 (twice)
  • Green Lantern Corps
  • New Gods
  • The Trench
  • Deathstroke
  • Gotham City Sirens
  • Deadshot
  • Cyborg
  • The Wonder Twins
  • Batgirl

Over 9+ year's DCEU's batting average of announced vs. actually produced is <50%.

Meanwhile, WBD's share price is hovering around $9.00, less than the price of a movie ticket.

Even worse when you factor in the flop factor/ratio of the ones they actually followed through with.  :tonofbricks:

-J.

Ok, finally caught this on HBOMax today.  It isn't the worst superhero movie I've seen, not by a long shot, however it does seem very "paint by numbers".  Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10.  Had I seen it in a theater, I wouldn't have felt like I wasted money.

Edit:  Also I really enjoyed Dr. Fate and would have liked to have seen more, but I doubt that happens now.

Edited by media_junkie

On 12/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, media_junkie said:

Edit:  Also I really enjoyed Dr. Fate and would have liked to have seen more, but I doubt that happens now.

That's what stings the most. Dr Fate and Hawkman absolutely stole the show, and now they've just been ditched already. Such potential squandered.