• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Oh man, I'm loving this sad, weird ride. I believe it, it's just silly enough to be true in these wild times.

If this turns out to be accurate, this would be a massive impact on Dwayne Johnson's credibility. Though his fanbase would be much more forgiving.

A moment that's been stuck in my head for a long time:

From Black Adam's 2nd trailer; After Atom Smasher mentions not having/bringing a passport, Doctor Fate's response of, "We don't need passports, we're the Justice Society."

It's not as serious of a tone in the movie itself, as the trailer accompanies the line with some nice music, but I'm glad that the line was played seriously rather than as a joke (which I have sadly become accustomed to).

Nuances like that can make a bigger difference than imaginable.

On 12/13/2022 at 9:30 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A moment that's been stuck in my head for a long time:

From Black Adam's 2nd trailer; After Atom Smasher mentions not having/bringing a passport, Doctor Fate's response of, "We don't need passports, we're the Justice Society."

It's not as serious of a tone in the movie itself, as the trailer accompanies the line with some nice music, but I'm glad that the line was played seriously rather than as a joke (which I have sadly become accustomed to).

Nuances like that can make a bigger difference than imaginable.

I recognize some are revisiting their opinions of Black Adam for what reason. It is what it is.

I had a good time watching this one. Not to deep a story, but enough of one it setup the action scenes and events.

Until this Puck article gets verified (if ever) concerning some WB execs making these claims, it's just that - industry rumors.

On 12/13/2022 at 9:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

Although I am sure PUCK has been the go-to source for those by default wanting to detract from the Black Adam movie. Big-time industry news source.

Rotten tomatoes published an article this morning basically calling Dwayne out on his pathetic attempts at "creative accounting".

Instead of leaking BS to a known industry shill site like deadline, he should have just taken the "L" with some grace.

But that may be hard to do since the massive failure of this movie basically ended the DCEU as we know it.  

The straw that finally broke the camel's back, as it were.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 12/13/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jaydogrules said:

But that may be hard to do since the massive failure of this movie basically ended the DCEU as we know it. 

Yeah, Gunn being hired the month after Black Adam's release will be noted as, "purely coincidental" when looking back at how/why the DCU changed.

Rotten tomatoes published an article this morning basically calling Dwayne out on his pathetic attempts at "creative accounting".

Have the link?

Instead of leaking BS to a known industry shill site like deadline, he should have just taken the "L" with some grace.

So as long as the 'source' fits the narrative, then Puck must be credible. Got it.

The straw that finally broke the camel's back, as it were.

-J.

If you say so

On 12/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, paperheart said:

Rock's leaked BS to Deadline is Gospel and Puck's report using WB sources is rumor- got it.

Puck is a credible source you have referenced in your posts. Got it.

On 12/13/2022 at 1:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

Have the link?

So as long as the 'source' fits the narrative, then Puck must be credible. Got it.

If you say so

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-wakanda-forever-leads-one-of-the-slowest-weekends-of-2022/

"Creative accounting is not going to change the narrative that this film is a theatrical failure."

-J.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:27 PM, Jaydogrules said:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-wakanda-forever-leads-one-of-the-slowest-weekends-of-2022/

"Creative accounting is not going to change the narrative that this film is a theatrical failure."

-J.

So a quick blurbage which is playing on the Puck story is your 'Rotten Tomatoes has published an article on this'?

Finally, Black Adam grossed another $1.34 million. Every theatrical loser makes up some ground once their run is done, but make no mistake, whatever this film could earn from home video, streaming, or even merchandising, it still has to make up nearly $100 million. Even if it is lucky enough to do that, does WB and DC really want to take a risk on a sequel when basic math and the law of averages tell us that it is likely to make less? True, $388 million is more than Shazam’s $364 million globally, and Shazam is getting a sequel, but it also cost half as much. Worldwide, Black Adam grossed about half as much as the lowest-grossing Marvel film this year, nearly $300 million less than bomb Justice League, and even less than 2006’s Superman Returns, which also carried a $195 million pricetag. Creative accounting is not going to change the narrative that this film is a theatrical failure.

It was part of a general summary of the box office. Not an article about the topic.

Come on. This isn't even normal to want to pull in anything to hate on a movie YOU HAVE NOT EVEN WATCHED YET.

-B.

Edited by Bosco685

It's right about one thing: I really can't recall one thing about Sabbac. 

On 12/14/2022 at 7:18 AM, Cat said:

It's right about one thing: I really can't recall one thing about Sabbac. 

Not unique to Black Adam: The villain was underdeveloped, but that's because they were going for 'subverted expectations', such as Ishmael being the descendant of the guy who created the crown, and him coming back from the dead as opposed to transforming while alive, instead of straight-on telling us who and how.

Not conveying the 6 demons of Sabbac, and etc, definitely hurt Black Adam IMO.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:36 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not unique to Black Adam: The villain was underdeveloped, but that's because they were going for 'subverted expectations', such as Ishmael being the descendant of the guy who created the crown, and him coming back from the dead as opposed to transforming while alive, instead of straight-on telling us who and how.

Not conveying the 6 demons of Sabbac, and etc, definitely hurt Black Adam IMO.

I think like other anti-hero characters (Deadpool, Venom) this was the challenge Black Adam was going to face. You had the chief focus of the story concerning this category of character, and then wanted to introduce the bigger threat.

But by hiding him throughout the story until his final reveal, although early on the crown was mentioned it detracted from the big bad slightly.