• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, D84 said:

It's sad that I wanted a Black Widow movie since Winter Soldier came out, but all this back and forth, I'm finding hard to give a hot :censored:.

This movie was already too late, and now it feels like a dinosaur. Any excitement I had for the movie is gone.  I will see it, but just not sold on how.  As for releasing it, I think they are going to stick to some sort of Summer release.  The fact is theaters are starting to reopen and they have zero content.  So it is possible for this film to do well even at limited capacity theaters because they can show it on 80% or more of the screens. That in theory could make up for limited seating because while less seats per theater, the actual seats seeing the film could be the same.

38 minutes ago, drotto said:

This movie was already too late, and now it feels like a dinosaur. Any excitement I had for the movie is gone.  I will see it, but just not sold on how.  As for releasing it, I think they are going to stick to some sort of Summer release.  The fact is theaters are starting to reopen and they have zero content.  So it is possible for this film to do well even at limited capacity theaters because they can show it on 80% or more of the screens. That in theory could make up for limited seating because while less seats per theater, the actual seats seeing the film could be the same.

Yeah, once this movie hits after Falcon and the Winter Soldier is done, everybody's gonna see the darn thing. It's not just a forgotten tale of Natasha Romanoff, it sets up Phase Four, too. Vaccine distribution is kicking in faster than originally thought. Soon I'm gonna have my shot. I stand by my prediction that if Black Widow sticks to a theatrical only release, it'll be the movie that kickstarts and essentially saves the movie theater industry. It's going to be the movie that gets me back in a theater, anyways.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, once this movie hits after Falcon and the Winter Soldier is done, everybody's gonna see the darn thing. It's not just a forgotten tale of Natasha Romanoff, it sets up Phase Four, too. Vaccine distribution is kicking in faster than originally thought. Soon I'm gonna have my shot. I stand by my prediction that if Black Widow sticks to a theatrical only release, it'll be the movie that kickstarts and essentially saves the movie theater industry. It's going to be the movie that gets me back in a theater, anyways.

I could see it getting pushed one more time to June or July, but this will be a theatrical release. 

48 minutes ago, drotto said:

I could see it getting pushed one more time to June or July, but this will be a theatrical release. 

I don't know. With the Disney CEO even admitting now it is going to be a last-minute decision it could end up if it appears to be bumped again they just push it to Disney+ and call it done.

And that's not a bad thing at all.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't know. With the Disney CEO even admitting now it is going to be a last-minute decision it could end up if it appears to be bumped again they just push it to Disney+ and call it done.

And that's not a bad thing at all.

I too think it will be a theatrical only release in May or a  hybrid theatrical/Disney+ release in May. I don't think Disney wants Black Widow playing over Loki in June or Shang Chi in July.

32 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I too think it will be a theatrical only release in May or a  hybrid theatrical/Disney+ release in May. I don't think Disney wants Black Widow playing over Loki in June or Shang Chi in July.

The fault in this logic is when movies are fully up and running again, does Disney+ intend to keep an MCU series basically rolling at all times. If so they are going to release at the same time at some point.  The other major issue with these streaming shows is just how far can they go with them.  Can they really put critical plot points or information into them without hurting movie box office performance if some fans do not have access to everything.  More importantly, can they risk losing more casual fans who would only watch the movies.

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

The fault in this logic is when movies are fully up and running again, does Disney+ intend to keep an MCU series basically rolling at all times. If so they are going to release at the same time at some point.  The other major issue with these streaming shows is just how far can they go with them.  Can they really put critical plot points or information into them without hurting movie box office performance if some fans do not have access to everything.  More importantly, can they risk losing more casual fans who would only watch the movies.

I was thinking more along the lines of they don't want one thing taking attention away from the other, as in one thing at a time. There seem to be a lot of MCU films on the horizon that seem to not require a lot of previous watching, like Eternals or Shang Chi. But in general, the business model is connectedness and that's a big reason the MCU is so popular. It seems enough people are willing to follow everything including the stuff on Disney+. IF you're a Marvel fan you're a Marvel fan, you're going to follow this stuff one way or another is how I see it. And if the movies are compelling enough, perhaps that will drive more folks to get Disney+ or at least use a relative or friends account to catch up.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I was thinking more along the lines of they don't want one thing taking attention away from the other, as in one thing at a time. There seem to be a lot of MCU films on the horizon that seem to not require a lot of previous watching, like Eternals or Shang Chi. But in general, the business model is connectedness and that's a big reason the MCU is so popular. It seems enough people are willing to follow everything including the stuff on Disney+. IF you're a Marvel fan you're a Marvel fan, you're going to follow this stuff one way or another is how I see it. And if the movies are compelling enough, perhaps that will drive more folks to get Disney+ or at least use a relative or friends account to catch up.

just think from a people may tune them out perspective, the shows are a much bigger risk. Asking someone to watch everything every week could be a big ask.  Especially if quality is not consistent, or not every show is everyone's cup of tea.  My biggest issue with the shows so far (granted it it one and one episode) is they feel like a 3 or 4 hour movie that has been artificially broken into sections with some extra fluff added. Not a direct comparison, but I can see why HOB toyed with the idea of breaking JL into 6 or so 45 minute episodes as opposed one chunk. 

I know the MCU has been sold on the being connected, but asking somebody to watch a movie 2 to 4 times per year for 2 to 3 hours is not the same as asking somebody to watch for 30 to 45 minutes every week for months on end.  There is a reason streaming and binge watching has becomes so popular.

18 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Looney Tunes No GIF by swerk - Find & Share on GIPHY

18 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

"With predictions so crazy they are calling me INSANE!"

CrazyEddie01.gif.c2409d80929b87a7a5434e770302335a.gif

On 2/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, chezmtghut said:

Disney would have been better off turning this into a streaming series instead. How can they expect to make money in the current market without streaming? BW would need to make 500 million in China to bring in 125 for Disney but I'd say more likely 50 - 100 max & 200 - 400 worldwide. It will definitely hold the film back from the majority of their subscribers for months though, while likely barely bringing in enough to make theater viewing worth while. They should really reconsider their approach, because losing memberships over these issues could cost them more than they'd make in theaters now anyways. I think WB is taking the right approach by giving their audience the option to view it at home or in the theater. Pushing your audience to theaters for a Superhero movies to make money in a pandemic doesn't seem very heroic, especially since they have a safe alternative to offer.

$200 million budget means they have to hit $600 million box office to break even. I dunno. I want to see the movie. I will be fully vaccinated by then. My kids won't be. I'm not going to a theatre to watch a super hero movie without them. But I'm also not going to rent it on disney+ for $30.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:22 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

kids are not getting shots for a while though

On 2/26/2021 at 6:41 AM, Angel of Death said:

I don't think that anyone would have cared for a Black Widow movie in Phase 1. I also don't think that enough people will care about her solo movie after the character's death. They missed the Goldilocks Zone.

What would they have swapped it with, though? She was a major player in The Winter Soldier in 2014, and then an Avenger in 2015, and then 2016's Civil War. Could 2017 have been the sweet spot? GotG Vol. 2 was trash, but that group is far more popular than BW. Neither Romanoff nor Barton are all that interesting characters by themselves.

I want to watch it for david harbour. love that guy. i know hellboy was a bust, but still.

Disney Shifts ‘Black Widow’ & ‘Cruella’ To Day & Date Release In Theaters And Disney+, Jarring Summer Box Office

Just when it looked like studios were going back to a theatrical window release pattern with today’s news of Regal and Warner Bros’ deal, Disney has smashes that to bits.

Disney said Tuesday that it is opening both of its key summer events pics Cruella and Marvel’s Black Widow simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ with Premier Access (which is usually $30 a purchase extra for subscribers) in most Disney+ markets on Friday, May 28 and Friday, July 9, respectively. It also  shifted release dates on five other films.

Just as the good news was spreading for Los Angeles and New York City’s reopening, the moves are a sign that the No. 1 studio doesn’t have faith in exhibition just yet.

“Today’s announcement reflects our focus on providing consumer choice and serving the evolving preferences of audiences.  By leveraging a flexible distribution strategy in a dynamic marketplace that is beginning to recover from the global pandemic, we will continue to employ the best options to deliver The Walt Disney Company’s unparalleled storytelling to fans and families around the world,” said Kareem Daniel, Chairman, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, in a statement.