• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

I'll be fully vaccinated by the time this comes out, so I anticipate seeing it in theaters multiple times, and not using the Disney+ option; if Disney had released it earlier, there's a good chance I'd have just paid the Disney+ premium.

Part of the weird placement of this film is any of the tension over "Will Black Widow make it through the other side when Taskmaster is done" goes out the window. The main character is dead.

Sorry, but I am in the camp this should have been released right after Captain America: The Winter Soldier and not after a major event film where she died.

This is Disney realizing this movie has an expiration date, and it is either reaching it or may have passed it. Disney is also desperate for cash flow an content.  The parks are still overall reduced capacity (Disney World is the only one making "normal" money).  The cruise line is closed.  Theaters are open, but restricted and may struggle to make money. Finally production under Covid rules is difficult and expensive.

This is a borderline desperate move, and it may kill theaters. 

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Part of the weird placement of this film is any of the tension over "Will Black Widow make it through the other side when Taskmaster is done" goes out the window. The main character is dead.

Sorry, but I am in the camp this should have been released right after Captain America: The Winter Soldier and not after a major event film where she died.

As has been discussed before, she did TWS in 2014, then AoU in 2015, then Civil War in 2016, then IW in 2018, then Endgame in 2019... There wasn't really any room other than 2017. That's just regarding shooting for the MCU, and disregarding other projects, including her pregnancy. lol

46 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

As has been discussed before, she did TWS in 2014, then AoU in 2015, then Civil War in 2016, then IW in 2018, then Endgame in 2019... There wasn't really any room other than 2017. That's just regarding shooting for the MCU, and disregarding other projects, including her pregnancy. lol

But to miss out on her earlier story for the sake of big event films - then getting around to it. It can come across as ancillary after-the-fact. So clarifying the mystery of Strike Team: Delta with Hawkeye where something occurred in Budapest. But after her 12-film appearance. We finally get around to the female team member that died.

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But to miss out on her earlier story for the sake of big event films - then getting around to it. It can come across as ancillary after-the-fact. So clarifying the mystery of Strike Team: Delta with Hawkeye where something occurred in Budapest. But after her 12-film appearance. We finally get around to the female team member that died.

IMO they should have done a SHIELD movie. I don't think that many people wanted a Black Widow film until after TWS. By then, they were already filming for Phase 3. If they were going to do a prequel, may as well throw Fury and Barton in there to expand your audience.

17 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

IMO they should have done a SHIELD movie. I don't think that many people wanted a Black Widow film until after TWS. By then, they were already filming for Phase 3. If they were going to do a prequel, may as well throw Fury and Barton in there to expand your audience.

Agreed! That is an excellent idea.

Could have gone through the further history of the organization and how the key members came to be involved. To include Barton hunting down Natasha and then realizing her value to the organization (and later her friendship).

:applause:

23 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

? What would a SHIELD movie have brought that 130+ episodes of the SHIELD TV show did not?

I mean, sure - I don't think ScarJo guest-starred at all, but we saw Nick Fury, Agent Coulson, Sif, Maria Hill, Peggy Carter and Deathlok...

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

? What would a SHIELD movie have brought that 130+ episodes of the SHIELD TV show did not?

I mean, sure - I don't think ScarJo guest-starred at all, but we saw Nick Fury, Agent Coulson, Sif, Maria Hill, Peggy Carter and Deathlok...

Agents of SHIELD wasn't canon. If they made a SHIELD movie revolving around Romanoff and Barton, it would be completely different from the TV show.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Barton and Natasha teamed up once they became friends as Strike Team Delta and went on many missions in support of SHIELD orders. We heard tiny hints to this across a few of the Avengers movies but never the full story. Never brought forward in any of the SHIELD TV show episodes, ever.

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Agents of SHIELD wasn't canon. If they made a SHIELD movie revolving around Romanoff and Barton, it would be completely different from the TV show.

I bet that is what Marvel's Most Wanted as a spin-off was going to make up for.

But then ABC passed on the show, not realizing how it plugged a hole that could go over quite well if handled in a way to fill the void.

14 hours ago, D84 said:

Not a chance of me shelling out $30 for this, with HBO Max putting out WW84, The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, etc at no additional cost. 

Same here. I’ll wait a couple weeks and buy the movie for $19.99. Not renting it for $30 on Disney’s platform that I’m ALREADY paying for! Imagine I said that in my Adam Sandler voice. Made that mistake with Mulan for my daughters. Two weeks later it was for sale on Amazon and iTunes. That’s a self-correcting error. Will never pay more than the subscription price on Disney again.

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Of course I disagree. Natasha, particularly before Civil War, didn’t warrant her own movie. As a business move for the studio, she was a boring character with no super power. Before Civil War, Marvel was still trying to prove itself and needed flashier movies to pull in general audiences. We just saw Black Widow in Winter Soldier. A redundant Black Widow movie would have only served to drag the momentum of the MCU which was still revving up. Flashier more fantastic movies like GOTG or Ant-Man were needed to expand the universe.

Also, after Winter Soldier, Natasha was still just a supporting player like Hawkeye. We knew everything we needed to know about her. No reason to dig further. It wasn’t until Endgame that Natasha was finally elevated to more A status within the story as we saw her as the Avengers leader and she finally got to be an emotional lead in a major scene when she sacrifices herself. Now, she is deserving of her own movie. 
Add the story hole of what happened to her after she violated the Sokovia Accords by helping spring Cap and Bucky at the airport and we now have an organic reason to have a Black Widow movie, in addition to introducing a new Black Widow and other building blocks for the MCU’s future.

I’d think it’s quite an honor for Natasha to have her solo film be the film that kicks off the theatrical part of the MCU’s Phase Four. It must be an important film.

35 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Of course I disagree.

Spoiler

Natasha, particularly before Civil War, didn’t warrant her own movie. As a business move for the studio, she was a boring character with no super power. Before Civil War, Marvel was still trying to prove itself and needed flashier movies to pull in general audiences. We just saw Black Widow in Winter Soldier. A redundant Black Widow movie would have only served to drag the momentum of the MCU which was still revving up. Flashier more fantastic movies like GOTG or Ant-Man were needed to expand the universe.

Also, after Winter Soldier, Natasha was still just a supporting player like Hawkeye. We knew everything we needed to know about her. No reason to dig further. It wasn’t until Endgame that Natasha was finally elevated to more A status within the story as we saw her as the Avengers leader and she finally got to be an emotional lead in a major scene when she sacrifices herself. Now, she is deserving of her own movie. 
Add the story hole of what happened to her after she violated the Sokovia Accords by helping spring Cap and Bucky at the airport and we now have an organic reason to have a Black Widow movie, in addition to introducing a new Black Widow and other building blocks for the MCU’s future.

I’d think it’s quite an honor for Natasha to have her solo film be the film that kicks off the theatrical part of the MCU’s Phase Four. It must be an important film.

I'm shocked. :baiting:

Black Widow is boring? I don't think so. Even her awareness of who Winter Soldier was as an assassin clearly conveyed Natasha has a much deeper awareness of world secrets.

And when it comes to her assisting Captain America in his efforts was fantastic. It clearly conveyed she was not someone to mess around with in your world-domination efforts.

I'm floored at times how myopic you are in 'whatever the MCU does it is always right' yet the extensive stories told convey a different tale. And missed opportunity for better timing.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm shocked. :baiting:

Black Widow is boring? I don't think so. Even her awareness of who Winter Soldier was as an assassin clearly conveyed Natasha has a much deeper awareness of world secrets.

And when it comes to her assisting Captain America in his efforts was fantastic. It clearly conveyed she was not someone to mess around with in your world-domination efforts.

I'm floored at times how myopic you are in 'whatever the MCU does it is always right' yet the extensive stories told convey a different tale. And missed opportunity for better timing.

Sure, Natasha had cool fight scenes in Winter Soldier, it was a well done action movie. Everybody was cool in it, even that Sharon Carter lady. But you still couldn't make a solo movie out of the Black Widow character then. Characters that got solo films were those with fantastic special effects powers that could excite audiences. Black Widow is just a spy who can fight. That's what I mean by boring. No special effects powers which is what solo MCU films were reserved for back then. And again, to make another political spy thriller on the heels of the political spy thriller that was Winter Soldier would have been really really redundant and a bad business move.

The team-up format that all MCU films seem to be taking now is also a good approach to Black Widow. In her solo film, she gets Iron Maiden, Red Guardian, and Black Widow 2.0 to help her make her movie more fun.

I don't think the MCU gets everything right, but you can't argue they've gotten it mostly right. There's a reason Marvel Studios is sitting on top of the movie world.

I actually do find fault in some MCU flicks. Ironically, the ones I find most fault in are the Russo Bros movies. Well done action films in the style of Katherine Bigelow for sure, but from Winter Soldier to Infinity War I'd clench my teeth sometimes at all the plot holes or logic holes throughout their movies. Over the years, I've gotten over it and just chalk it up to a comic book film and try to be thankful the rest of it is so good. Again ironically, the one MCU film of theirs where I found hardly any plot holes but that should have been full of them because it's a time travel movie is Endgame.