• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

598 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2024 at 11:52 AM, AJD said:

I just noticed this stinker on eBay.

image.png.4d0f1c3414dc0076913cae3f27e679be.png

Alan Davis is a favourite artist of mine, but that’s surprisingly poor. Ordinarily much better.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:11 AM, comicjack said:

???

Oh come on! Does that look like a properly drawn Green Lantern to you on the cover of #8?

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, Hepcat said:

Oh come on! Does that look like a properly drawn Green Lantern to you on the cover of #8?

(shrug)

One great gray tone to tempt the eye of a ten year old to part with his dime :bigsmile:

Edited by comicjack

On 1/14/2024 at 10:33 AM, Sal said:

It's Kevin O'Neill. He's not trying for realism, like many, many artists before him. Loved Marshal Law but if it's not your thing that's fine.  But don't say he shouldn't be a pro since he's been getting paid to work since at least the late seventies and is well regarded

But the underlying question is why so many artists who don't draw realistically are getting paid by comic publishers these days. Okay, maybe abstract expression/artwork can go up on a wall some place, but comics are supposed to tell a story in pictures. Therefore the drawings of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Captain America, Sub-Mariner, Spider-Man, Wasp, etc, etc. should look precisely like those characters. If they don't, then my considered opinion is the artwork is so much trash.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/21/2024 at 11:32 PM, Hepcat said:

I hate this one:

GreenLantern8.jpg

I bought it some twenty years ago only to be one step closer to completing my Green Lantern run.

(shrug)

I just love it.

On 3/22/2024 at 3:35 AM, Hepcat said:

Finally this Green Lantern cover doesn't do anything for me:

10-06-201244955PM.jpg

(shrug)

Damn it took so long to get to the point... :151549297_waiting3:

On 3/22/2024 at 10:27 PM, Ken Aldred said:

It’s a kind thought.

We all know that comics can invoke adrenaline-fuelled episodes of intense excitement, and maybe, on occasion, it’s a good idea to have a short break and to calm things down a little by inducing a few moments of crushing boredom.

A valuable service.

The saying is "dont judge a book to his cover" or also "cloths dont make the monk"

On 3/23/2024 at 4:28 PM, BA773 said:

The saying is "dont judge a book to his cover" or also "cloths dont make the monk"

Actually this thread is precisely about judging "covers" and not comics. Nobody here (certainly not I) is saying Green Lantern comics aren't fabulous. Incidentally, I haven't noticed you in the "Green Lantern" thread lately:

Is there a good reason why you've not been around?

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/23/2024 at 11:45 PM, Hepcat said:

Actually this thread is precisely about judging "covers" and not comics. Nobody here (certainly not I) is saying Green Lantern comics aren't fabulous. Incidentally, I haven't noticed you in the "Green Lantern" thread lately:

Is there a good reason why you've not been around?

???

I know this, i didnt be here if not...

I just used the saying at this moment where he was particullary good to use.

Not need to be agressive...

Edited by BA773

It's not my intention to be aggressive. I just want you to have a look at the "Green Lantern" thread to get an idea of why I don't like the Green Lantern covers I posted here.

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

The Batman cover below is the most egregiously bad one from at least the first 45 years of the title. Artist Sheldon Moldoff, Editor Jack Schiff and the other middle-aged farts at DC with babies on their brains should have known that their particular affliction wasn't shared by ten year old boys. 

15-11-201163158PM.jpg

Bloody hell!

:eyeroll: 

Edited by Hepcat

Saw a couple of these at the current Comic Link auction. At first I thought the art was ok but something seemed kind of off. When I looked closer I realized that it looks like her left leg was growing out of her howler for some reason. The composition is just really not put together in the right way.

capture.jpg

On 4/8/2024 at 9:43 PM, Stefan_W said:

looks like her left leg was growing out of her howler for some reason.

Gonna put that one in my personal lexicon of female body part colloquialisms.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:43 AM, Stefan_W said:

Saw a couple of these at the current Comic Link auction. At first I thought the art was ok but something seemed kind of off. When I looked closer I realized that it looks like her left leg was growing out of her howler for some reason. The composition is just really not put together in the right way.

capture.jpg

I mean... why accept to release it as a publisher? (shrug)