• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

In anticipation of the sequel “The Way of Water,” which opens in December, Disney re-released James Cameron’s original, dazzling science-fiction epic to promising results. The film generated $10 million in North America and $20.5 million internationally over the weekend, a huge turnout for movie that opened more than a decade ago, even if that movie happens to be the highest-grossing global release in history. With this weekend’s returns, “Avatar” widens its lead as the biggest movie of all time with $2.85 billion worldwide.

“We’re talking about a film that’s 13 years old, which people can watch at home,” says Paul Dergarabedian, a senior media analyst with Comscore. “The big draw is the Imax presentation. ‘Avatar’ is serving as a reminder of how cool the imagery of Pandora looks on the big screen.”

On 10/3/2022 at 7:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

It's easy to forget how old it is!  I took both my kids to see it (who are both younger than this movie) and they both were floating 6 inches off the ground they were so blown away by it (we saw it in imax 3d).  It may not have the best plot of all time, but it sure does look pretty.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:38 PM, drotto said:

It is estimated the movie needs to break $2 billion to be profitable!!!!!  Granted, the price tags of the other planned sequels should go down by reusing sets, and the new technologies.  But, 2 billion!!!

I have a feeling that James Cameron quote was blown way out of proportion. And you'll many of the sites pushing that are big #BeatAvatar drum beaters because in their opinion he hates the MCU.

I saw a commercial for this today and my sister said the f/x looked fake. I do think they look unfinished.. Very cartoon like. A lot of big budget movies have had subpar effects lately.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:55 PM, Larryw7 said:

I saw a commercial for this today and my sister said the f/x looked fake. I do think they look unfinished.. Very cartoon like. A lot of big budget movies have had subpar effects lately.

With what has come out throughout the pandemic how Disney (and especially the MCU) has coordination problems with its VFX third-party providers, I'd say that's one of the biggest issues with the big green screen-heavy productions. Especially the constant demands for last-minute changes. Then how the more top-notch VFX providers were overwhelmed with work due to the pandemic leading to a backlog of projects.

‘Bullying is a problem’: visual effects artists speak out against Marvel

‘Black Adam’ Producer Says Delay Due To Swamped VFX Industry

But I'm not seeing big VFX gaps in the Avatar trailers myself. They've come across more polished than I expected after all the VFX provider news.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Heard would like to see Marvel stars such as Mark Ruffalo, a political activist and champion of labour rights, take up the cause of VFX artists.

“It’s going to take a lot of celebrity power, a lot of the Avengers, to come up and say, ‘Hey, the people that have made our movies deserve better working conditions and we want to be able to support those who have made our movies look good.’”

They should leave Mark Ruffalo out of it.