• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

I think it is safe to say that after her new 3 year contract expires she will not be getting another go.  I wouldn't be surprised if before her 3 years are up she "voluntarily" steps down to achieve/do other things.

It's more likely she just moves to another position.  She's still one of the top five most successful producers in film history, she's just not a good content manager for an expansive universe like Star Wars.  And that's true of the vast majority of producers, too.  Kevin Feige is really the first of his kind.  You can't just fire Kennedy and hope to hire another Feige in her place since for now he's a unicorn among film producers.  Even if Feige takes the head role in Star Wars--or even more likely picks someone else to do it like Pablo Hidalgo, Dave Filoni, or whoever--that doesn't necessarily push Kennedy out, it just removes her from any kind of creative position.  There's far more to being a producer than helping guide the content, and she's repeatedly proven herself to be excellent at many or most of those parts of film production.

Edited by fantastic_four

Someone, who I think has an identical taste for movies as me, has spoken. And by identical - I mean that we have seemingly exact same opinions. Love Zack Snyder. Captain Marvel is mediocre. Love TFA and hate TLJ. Absolutely identical.

He says it pisses him off and it's not really good. Sadness has fallen upon me. He says that JJ can't be blamed, though, and it appears like he did try to do his best.

I think Kennedy will likely play out the rest of her contract until 2021. (Maybe even in a reduced role)

If this becomes a disaster at the box office I expect a release early next year. (Hopefully a couple other storyboard group members will go as well)

I don't see her coming back after 2021. (Holding magic 8 ball in hand)

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Rogue One snuck a certain ghost in it. 

321E94F8-E06B-4F64-87D7-F87B5FCDC139.jpeg

E12B9C18-32F6-491B-83A2-E3BACB33E772.jpeg

Did you see that Ghost is clearly visible in the first trailer for this film as well?

To the upper right of the Millennium Falcon in the Rebel armada scene.

16 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

I was very surprised by Rogue One myself. It was a extremely well done tie in

Agreed. IMO it was the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. Oddly my identical twin brother hates it but instead enjoys that terrible Han Solo movie. He also proclaims the Hobbit movies superior to LOTR which floors me. Being identical twins you'd think our opinions would be a bit less opposed.

3 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Agreed. IMO it was the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. Oddly my identical twin brother hates it but instead enjoys that terrible Han Solo movie. He also proclaims the Hobbit movies superior to LOTR which floors me. Being identical twins you'd think our opinions would be a bit less opposed.

I took my son and about 6 of his 13 yr old friends to SOLO. They unanimously proclaimed it the best SW film.

The mods should now delete this entire thread, right up to this post. 

My point is clear.   

1 minute ago, TupennyConan said:

I took my son and about 6 of his 13 yr old friends to SOLO. They unanimously proclaimed it the best SW film.

The mods should now delete this entire thread, right up to this post. 

My point is clear.   

You are eight feet tall, live on Endor, and are currently conjugating the emancipation proclamation?

1 hour ago, Rip said:

I think Kennedy will likely play out the rest of her contract until 2021. (Maybe even in a reduced role)

If this becomes a disaster at the box office I expect a release early next year. (Hopefully a couple other storyboard group members will go as well)

I don't see her coming back after 2021. (Holding magic 8 ball in hand)

I have not seen the movie yet, but am going tomorrow.  I have never been less enthusiastic about a Star Wars movie.

As for Kennedy, when this movie underperforms or even worse drastically underperforms, she will be out at Lucasfilm.  She will not be publically fired, and I do not think she will even make it to the end of her contract, since I think she has already been basically sidelined.  They will give an excuse like she has decided to leave and persue other opportunities, or she has devoted so much time over the last 5 or 6 years to Star Wars she is going leave to devote more time to her family. Typical you've been fired but we are not going to burn you publically corporate bull.

3 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Now the question is going to be how well this movie does at the box office.  We all know that it is going to crush it opening weekend, but will it have legs and run out somewhere near the Force Awakens, or will it even manage to do Last Jedi numbers?

This movie is already tracking for 175 to 200 million, and should hit that.  My gut says it has a big 60% plus drop second weekend and short legs. So let's put it out there for $400 to $450 million domestic.

International, this movie will be a tough sell.  The Chinese market seems to have little love for Star Wars, and international audiences in general are not as big on these films. Going off the domestic to international breakdowns for the last two films which were 46 domestic to 54 world averaged out, I would expect similar here. That gives you 470 to 528 million international box office.

So my guess for final box office is 870 to 978 million.  Now that I look at those numbers logically it feels low, but my gut is just telling me the numbers seem right.