• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

Martine Beswick was gorgeous and did a couple of horror films - my favorite being Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. She also did Seizure with Jonathan Frid from Dark Shadows. I interviewed her last year for my upcoming book on Ralph Bates - her costar from Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. Here is an autographed photo by Bates from my collection. 

P.S. The blonde in the pic is Virginia Wetherell aka the future Mrs Virginia Bates - they first met while making the film.

s-l400 (15).jpg

Edited by Cushing Fan

The effects of the monsters were by the great Ray Harryhausen, I met him back in the 80's when he came to Belfast. It was pouring that night and I had shown up at the event in my anorak (yes I know a nerd) everyone else was inside and I needed a ticket so I stood behind a small group of people who I thought were in front of me. A very nice woman saw me at the back and said to her husband "Dear I think that he is one of your fans?" at that a giant of a man (I'm 5' 9") looked down on me and said "Do you want to say something?" I handed my book and magazine and told him how much I had admired his work. To finish this story I went in and the event was row after row of tuxedos, so I sat to the side and would you believe Mr Harryhausen spoke over to me the entire night, maybe he knew I was the only fan there, a great memory.<3

gallery_movies-one-million-years-bc-one-million-years-bc.thumb.jpg.0275c90a26ecb860a824fe391df298a6.jpgray-harryhausen-triceratops-model-one-million-years-bc-1024x724.thumb.jpg.9a145bbbf3d99a7fc7b65cf8a846b63c.jpg

Edited by tv horror

7 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

my upcoming book on Ralph Bates

Looking forward to reading it, Ralph always came across as a very shy person and he was marvelous in Dear John, he died far to young   His wife Virginia Wetherell also featured in the original series of Dr Who with William Hartnell.

s-l500.jpg.aa633e6bc3629c5e7b641153b2cd8438.jpg

7 hours ago, tv horror said:

Raquel's love rival in the movie was played by Martine Beswick another very talented lady and former Bond girl and the notorious sister Hyde for Hammer studios..

I don't remember her but i will look up her biography in Wiki..

i enjoy learning new things and reading about past stars (thumbsu

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Martine Beswick was gorgeous and did a couple of horror films - my favorite being Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. She also did Seizure with Jonathan Frid from Dark Shadows. I interviewed her last year for my upcoming book on Ralph Bates - her costar from Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde. 

I have never heard of the Sister Hyde movie ,.. i am going to read all about it and and Martine Beswick - thanks !

14 hours ago, tv horror said:

Looking forward to reading it, Ralph always came across as a very shy person and he was marvelous in Dear John, he died far to young   His wife Virginia Wetherell also featured in the original series of Dr Who with William Hartnell.

s-l500.jpg.aa633e6bc3629c5e7b641153b2cd8438.jpg

Ralph was actually very outgoing in real life and made friends with everyone he met. Dear John was a great series - better than the American remake in my opinion. Bates was also great in the original Poldark series. Virginia gave her blessing on the bio and was very helpful with interviews and connections. 

P.S. Bates was almost cast in a Doctor Who arc but unfortunately didn't make the cut.

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I have never heard of the Sister Hyde movie ,.. i am going to read all about it and and Martine Beswick - thanks !

Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde UK trailer

Above is the link to the UK trailer to the film - one of my favorite Hammer films from the 1970s.

3 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

Ralph was actually very outgoing in real life and made friends with everyone he met.

Actually Colin Firth reminds me of him a great deal both in looks and acting style, Ralph was always ideal casting for those Dickens and period dramas and yes he was very good in Poldark. 

1506204853636.jpg.130f5f49d49c87d874a466fd9459f901.jpgralph-bates-01.jpg.9da15c9aaae2c2d1279cd7d1593b84ed.jpg

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

What! Not even the Vampire lovers with the very beautiful Ingrid Pitt and my lovely Maddie ?<3   And it has Peter as well.

the-vampire-lovers-lg.jpg.81b7108cbb0969d263d7188a6d6cf6bb.jpgimages.jpg.d80926a9780ca11e445f47f4eabfe41b.jpg

Vampire Lovers was okay but my favorite of the Hammer Karnstein trilogy is Twins of Evil also starring Cushing, this time as a religious fanatic antihero. Plus you got Mary and Madeline Collinson - Playboy's first twin playmates ;-)

twins-of-evil_1971_lobbycard_uk_02.jpg

playboy-magazine-back-issue-october-1970.jpg

Edited by Cushing Fan

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

Here comes a chopper to chop off your head...What is it with Peter Cushing and heads?

Twins-of-Evil-3-thu.jpg.ff2637b5640306b3088d6785a13a7f46.jpg

That's not the best fake head.  Made me laugh when I saw it.  We are so spoiled now with what we expect from special effects.