• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

As you mentioned both The Birds and the BBC you should be happy to hear that they are doing a version of there own only this time sticking closely to the novel (translated: boring). Have you ever read a novel by Daphne Du Maurier before you finish the first chapter you've been told all about the wallpaper tea set table chairs fireplace even the characters pet budgie! No, give me the Hitchcock version anytime. 

download.jpg

I did see something about this. If I'm honest, I haven't been overly keen on some of the Beeb's recent efforts at adapting novels or their making of historical drama. I've not read any of Daph's books, but have read plenty of 19th century authors, and she probably harks back to those days. Hitchcock must have liked her stuff as he did Rebecca,, though it was Selznik who chose that to film, and his last British film Jamaica Inn, with Laughton and Newton, which I call the battle of the eyebrows.

I think Charlie's eyebrow in this shot is off to find the nearest leaf...  

0643.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Jamaica in

Charles Laughton could chew the scenery if he got a chance and so could Robert Newton. I wonder what the dialog would be between them.

Laughton: Flog that man Mr Christian!

Newton: ARrrrrrrrrrrr Me bones do shake when ye speak like that.

Laughton: My dear sir you are a scurvy knave be done with you.

Newton: ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ye be right as alway captain.

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

images.jpg

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Charles Laughton could chew the scenery if he got a chance and so could Robert Newton. I wonder what the dialog would be between them.

Laughton: Flog that man Mr Christian!

Newton: ARrrrrrrrrrrr Me bones do shake when ye speak like that.

Laughton: My dear sir you are a scurvy knave be done with you.

Newton: ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ye be right as alway captain.

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

images.jpg

I liked them both as actors both OTT in their performances, but always entertaining. Laughton's Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of my first film memories on TV and Newton's Blackbeard was the 1st film I saw at the pictures.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I liked them both as actors both OTT in their performances, but always entertaining. Laughton's Hunchback of Notre Dame was one of my first film memories on TV and Newton's Blackbeard was the 1st film I saw at the pictures.

Yes they were two great performers I especially liked Newton in Tom Brown's school days, however he never did get rid of that ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

It's funny that the comics used sports for the covers when the basic story is all about bullying.  

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

Edited by tv horror

16 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Yes they were two great performers I especially liked Newton in Tom Brown's school days, however he never did get rid of that ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

It's funny that the comics used sports for the covers when the basic story is all about bullying. 

I've never read the book , nor seen the film . I have read all the Flashman novels and seen this... lol

I promised a return to horror these books are some more I have in my collection, I just can't get enough of these volumes I can sit for hours just studying the artwork. What's more are these books are printed in the original page layout and size. As Tony the Tiger would say They';re GREATttttttttttttttttttttt!

Graham-Ingels-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Bernie-Wrightson-Artifact-Edition-Cover-A.jpg

Wally-Woods-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Jack-Davis-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition (1).jpg

The-Best-Of-EC-Artists-Edition-Vol-1-cover.jpg

The-Best-Of-EC-Artists-Edition-Vol-2-cover.jpg

Gene-Colans-Tomb-Of-Dracula-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Jack-Davis-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition.jpg

download.jpg

On 8/31/2018 at 9:46 AM, 1950's war comics said:

"The Birds is one of my favorite movies,... i was scared to death as a child when i first saw it and even today if i see a giant flock of birds i think of that movie lol 

here is Hitchcocks famous obligatory cameo from the movie

Image result for birds movie hitchcock cameo gif

I love the Hitchcock cameos‼️‼️? an the Stan Lee ones too⁉️‼️‼️??

Just now, FoggyNelson said:

Covers above really stand out in Black an white‼️‼️???

U.K comic collectors all started off with all their comic art in black and white and in a way we appreciate the artwork more because of that at the time. If a villain or hero never appeared on the covers we were in the dark as to their colour design or costume. In a way we used our imagination more while we read the issues, goodness knows what our superhero colouring books looked like, I for loved those and spent many an hour filling them in and later try to copy my favourites.

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

I promised a return to horror these books are some more I have in my collection, I just can't get enough of these volumes I can sit for hours just studying the artwork. What's more are these books are printed in the original page layout and size. As Tony the Tiger would say They';re GREATttttttttttttttttttttt!

Graham-Ingels-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Bernie-Wrightson-Artifact-Edition-Cover-A.jpg

Wally-Woods-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Jack-Davis-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition (1).jpg

The-Best-Of-EC-Artists-Edition-Vol-1-cover.jpg

The-Best-Of-EC-Artists-Edition-Vol-2-cover.jpg

Gene-Colans-Tomb-Of-Dracula-Artists-Edition-cover.jpg

Jack-Davis-EC-Stories-Artists-Edition.jpg

download.jpg

I'll P.M. you my address, so you'll know where to send 'em lol