• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which do you prefer ?
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I'm a big Kirby fan as well, but Adams does some absolutely fantastic commission work, although too far outside of my price range.

I also see clearer variety in the skin textures, and, he's come up with some great alternative poses for the characters.

Happy to pick B.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I think B is much more artistic as well.  I bet AA sat down and thought about this job to make it really good, whereas Kirby probably squeezed it

into his 12 covers and two full length stories a month work load .  

Just a guess though

A. 

5acae8b931f25_Hulkinks.thumb.jpg.20e6c7678dcbef4eaffcd6a2af645ffb.jpg

B. 

5acae8dfa6276_Hulkpencils.jpg.42e13dedb40e77585f8f421e3143671c.jpg

Edited by Senormac

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Adams does some absolutely fantastic commission work, although too far outside of my price range.

I am on his list for Doc and Clea. Hopefully sometime soon as I am getting closer to death all the time.

I vote B.

12 hours ago, Senormac said:

I think B is much more artistic as well.  I bet AA sat down and thought about this job to make it really good, whereas Kirby probably squeezed it

into his 12 covers and two full length stories a month work load .  

Just a guess though

And yet Kirby did more quality comic work than Art Adams would do if he lived three lifetimes. I have some fond memories of AA's work from the 80s but he's no King. There's only one King.

King Kirby was inconsistent, and this isn't one of his best.

B is exceptionally-nice Arthur Adams artwork.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:05 AM, Ken Aldred said:

King Kirby was inconsistent, and this isn't one of his best.

B is exceptionally-nice Arthur Adams artwork.

It's just that Kirby must have experienced times of weariness, from amount of work he produced, and instead of being able to rest and recuperate..... he had to get onto the next job.  He is an amazing example. 

Edited by Senormac

On 08/04/2018 at 11:20 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The second, Arthur Adams version.

Also, it looks like it's in mintier condition, lacking obvious creases and fading.

Easy to get a nicer copy of item A.

It's a print, not an actual comic

Definitely have to go with the Art Adams print (B). Definitely more detail to the characters, like a seeing a HD movie.

However, I definitely have to give credit to King Kirby (there is only one) and this piece is nice, not great, but really nice. There is definitely better covers that were done by the King. 

2c

2 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

It's a print, not an actual comic

Yup. I know. Seen it at a convention.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I don't care for either really. 

Huge AAdams fan but his style changed tremendously throughout the years and not for the better in my opinion. 

If I had to own one I'll def go for the Kirby version because it's original and, well, cause it's Kirby 

On 09/04/2018 at 5:18 AM, Senormac said:

A. 5acae8b931f25_Hulkinks.thumb.jpg.20e6c7678dcbef4eaffcd6a2af645ffb.jpg  B. 5acae8dfa6276_Hulkpencils.jpg.42e13dedb40e77585f8f421e3143671c.jpg

Hulk like monster parade in B. Monster parade in B is pleasing to Hulk. But Hulk in B is in wind tunnel. Hulk does not look like that, even when Hulk is in wind tunnel. So Hulk is happy with B movie monsters (heh heh, Hulk make joke), but if art man should draw Hulk like that again, and try to disguise bad Hulk with good B movie monsters, then Hulk will smash! Hulk.gif.b2931c738b551f5cd571af94e8b616eb.gif