• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2022 at 8:03 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

MARVEL HATE ACTIVATE! lol

giphy.gif

So the forumite that went to see Endgame 6x and Captain Marvel 2x now hates Marvel movies?

Come on. You are living with cognitive bias if you convince yourself any MCU dislike must be MCU hate.

You must have missed all the times he talked up early Phase movies.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:30 PM, Beige said:

'Emotional punch'  'Heavy'  'Explore word themes'  'Boseman's legacy'  'Raw Emotions'

I'll be that guy.- the above quotes are enough to put off a lot of people.

You can see that on just this thread.

The reviews first words after seeing it - 'Well, it was a long film'......

Chadwick Boseman died. Way too young. And that's tragic.

However - and I'm just being honest here, before getting a lucky break, and being cast as Black Panther - who here had heard of him?

And in the MCU - besides the self-titled movie - BP was a peripheral character.

I don't need to pay $$ to go sit through a 30 min Chadwick Boseman eulogy.

I certainly don't want to pay $$ to go and see a movie that gravitates on the death of a person I didn't know, playing a character that hasn't impressed me.

Wakanda and it's 'science' - hell yeah - that was impressive. 

The Black Panther - no.

As a character I thought Killmonger and M'Baku were more interesting, and as actors played much better.

Should have just recast the character and moved on.

Flesh out the Black Panther to give him presence and purpose, rather than mourn a character that hadn't really come to 'life' yet.

I'll reserve judgement on Namor - but 1st impressions aren't stellar from my point of view.

On the twitter reviews and the trailer - it's an easy wait for Disney+

2c

Bingo.  

-J.

That's usually the case with the early reviews, so we'll see how it goes when everything comes in. 

I thought the trailers were very well done, and I'm interested in where they're going with all of this.  I liked 'BP' (3/4 stars, or an A-), so I will check this movie out in the theater and report later on on its strengths and weaknesses from my perspective.

Dan

On 11/1/2022 at 4:45 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Seems that way.

I disagree. Anyone that is that fanatical just wants more. But changes to the approach that leads to questions.

Do I agree beating a given movie to death? That's a topic for another day.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:30 PM, Beige said:

As a character I thought Killmonger and M'Baku were more interesting, and as actors played much better.

It probably seemed that way to you because Killmonger and M'Baku were the villains of the movie and often times the villains get the spicy lines. In past MCU films, heroes who started out as d****ebags, like Tony Stark or Stephen Strange, were allowed to play in the mud, too. T'Challa was a king and started out the film as such, so maybe he wasn't as interesting to you. But make no mistake, T'Challa was the movie's protagonist on a hero's journey to learn how to become a better king while having to overcome adversity to the throne and death itself.

Flesh out the Black Panther to give him presence and purpose, rather than mourn a character that hadn't really come to 'life' yet.

Except he did come to "life" for multiple generations of movie and comic book fans and an African-American demographic who, for decades of comic book movies, have never really had a black leading-man super-hero to cheer for other than that half-breed vampire guy from the 90's. Yesterday, I saw plenty of African-American kids wearing Black Panther costumes. A couple of older friends (black females) showed off their Wakanda costumes on Facebook. Black Panther may not have come to life for you, but he did for fans of the movie and for an American culture devoid of a leading man black super-hero other than that guy who would slice vampires in half with a sword who was hardly a role model for young African-American kids.

Should have just recast the character and moved on.

The MCU doesn't operate in a vacuum, but very much takes into account the world we live in. In Phase Four, we've seen Marvel introduce new heroes who more reflect the global and diverse fandom of the MCU. We've seen the She-Hulk series troll Marvel's real life trolls. And regarding Chadwick Boseman, Marvel Studios is considering the impact that he and the movie had on millions of fans and are treating the actor's death as if T'Challa himself died. That's been part of Marvel Studios' storytelling technique since they cast RDJ as Iron Man. In a sense, the actors are the heroes and vice versa.

Just like Captain America, the Black Panther mantle is alive and well, but T'Challa is dead, because the man who embodied him for millions of fans is dead. There will be other Black Panthers. The trailer showed us that.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I rewatched the first Black Pannther and it's such a great movie. All the performances and a great -script make it easily one of the best Marvel has made.

I'll admit Namor is like Aquaman to me, lame, so that makes it very hard to be excited about this one. That mixed with the Sci Fi channel acting from guy playing him in the clip released has me worried.

I have no problem with Shuri being the next Black Panther. She was great in the first one and I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.

My biggest concern is the sequel will be another Wonder Woman 1984. There was a time where I wouldn't be worried but with Marvel has been releasing recently, it's hard to be optimistic. 

I hope it's great. I want it to be great.

Not the Rock. I'd prefer someone that at least has a swimmer's body, or at least something close to it. Johnson is way off that (looking at you, Baywatch). I can't think of who I'd want to play him, but I also can't think of how I'd want to dress him. That budgie smuggler has got to go. 

On 11/2/2022 at 6:28 AM, TupennyConan said:

This works pretty well for me. 

Doesn't strike me as bad enough, or having enough of that regal snobbery. Namor could kick Aquaman's butt. This guy, could NOT kick Jason Mamoa's butt. 

I don't think they have big plans for Namor. Which is unfortunate, as the two characters I was most looking forward to seeing were him and Ben Grimm.

But, ya never know.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, Prince Namor said:

Doesn't strike me as bad enough, or having enough of that regal snobbery. Namor could kick Aquaman's butt. This guy, could NOT kick Jason Mamoa's butt. 

I don't think they have big plans for Namor. Which is unfortunate, as the two characters I was most looking forward to seeing were him and Ben Grimm.

But, ya never know.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I hope you're proven wrong. I hope it really works. I'm concerned but as a Marvel Zombie I'm going in with optimism. I'm a lifelong John Buscema Namor fan. The TTA Subby reprints were my first comics. I still have my OO's. 

As for his build. It's a problem but perhaps it'll be OK. I too fear the eventual casting or recasting of Conan. There is no actor with his physical presence [sorry Momoa].   

On 11/2/2022 at 7:14 AM, TupennyConan said:

I'm sorry you feel this way. I hope you're proven wrong. I hope it really works. I'm concerned but as a Marvel Zombie I'm going in with optimism. I'm a lifelong John Buscema Namor fan. The TTA Subby reprints were my first comics. I still have my OO's. 

As for his build. It's a problem but perhaps it'll be OK. I too fear the eventual casting or recasting of Conan. There is no actor with his physical presence [sorry Momoa].   

No, I'll go in hopeful, I almost always do. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. 

As for Conan, yeah... that'll be tough one.

On 11/2/2022 at 4:19 AM, Prince Namor said:

No, I'll go in hopeful, I almost always do. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. 

As for Conan, yeah... that'll be tough one.

Judging by our avatars, I think we both have a liking of the Sub-Mariner. It's been a bit of a roller coaster for me on this and I'm at the point where I'll withhold opinions until I see the movie. I do hope he's the anti-hero as in the comics but also realistically my Sub-Mariner reading/knowledge as with most Marvel Comics, ended in the late 80's when I stopped collecting seriously so there's 30+ years of changes, adjustments, retcons, etc. I'm unaware of and need to try to keep an open mind.