• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2023 at 6:18 PM, Jaydogrules said:

:roflmao:A properly abysmal result for an abysmally pointless movie.  

Now remains to be seen if this terrible number taints Ant-man over there in a week.  

-J.

even $25M in China seems remote at this point, Forbes nailed it

image.png.4f9648c974a592177f872875bba43e33.png

On 2/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Artboy99 said:

Marvel seems so lost as to what made their films so successful in the past. It actually baffles me how lost they are, when it is a simple formula:

1. Stay true to who the character is within popular culture. Example: Thor. Read a few Thor comics and focus on the point in time when Marvel's comic book sales were the highest ever as those comics are extremely likely to be the version of Thor that is most well known and loved by your fans.  The closest I have seen Marvel stay true to the character is in Avengers Infinity War... go figure that film is successful. This applies to both the hero and the villain. Enough with the inclusivity! If the character is a 25 year old white male in the comics then stick to that.

2. High quality writing. A high quality well written story will be appreciated by your audience and far too often in recent films I feel this is where things are lacking. This also baffles me when they have literally decades of quality material to reference. No need to reinvent the wheel just put the best stories you have got up on the big screen for the fans to enjoy. Want an example of really bad writing watch Wakanda Forever and review the scene when they go to Ri-Ri's apartment to recruit her. The dialogue, the setting, everything about that scene is horrid. 

3. Meddling. Please stop meddling with the creators you trusted to take on the project in the first place. Just make sure the individual follows point #1 and #2 above.

4. Lead with "flagship" properties. Go figure this is why Spider-Man No Way Home raked in the dollars over the Eternals. The phase 5 line up isn't exactly exciting.

5. Quantity: Less is more. Cut the upcoming slate in half and make the highest quality content possible. Set the bar high (like it used to be) average isn't getting it done but I guess we need the content bombardment for the streaming don't we? :facepalm:

Gonna be hard to make all this stuff, with the budgets the MCU is used to when Iger just announce $3 billion is being cut from the content creation budget.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:15 AM, drotto said:

Gonna be hard to make all this stuff, with the budgets the MCU is used to when Iger just announce $3 billion is being cut from the content creation budget.

Is the from 4 to 1.. or 10 to 7?   The starting point matters.

On 2/11/2023 at 2:04 AM, Microchip said:

Is the from 4 to 1.. or 10 to 7?   The starting point matters.

I am assuming from the previous fiscal year.  It still make a hugh difference,  but your point is taken. It means either fewer projects, lower budgets, or likely a combination of both.

For the MCU, I think it will likely mean less D+ content, remember 2023 is already down to 3 series from 6 initially announced, and modest budget reductions.  Meaning films like BP2 that had $250 million may get a slightly reduced budget around $200 ro $225 instead.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, paperheart said:

likely won't even get to $20M in China, just a bit shy of Forbes $100M+ estimate

image.png.cdb878543a407cde83409762cfac3508.png

Have no idea how Fobes thought this film would get to $100 million.  It is 4 months late, in a market that is very tough for certain traited leads, and mixed fan reception in th rest of the world. Plus, anyone in China desperate to see the film have pirated it already. 

I have no idea why Hollywood, and Disney especially, is still convinced China is this wonderful untapped market. History is repeatedly showing, the box office is unreliable, the government unpredictable, and the actual return per ticket sold is far below any other region (20% to 25% per ticket). It seems like pure folly at this point.  Movies like Avatar are clearly the exception, not the rule.

Edited by drotto

On 2/15/2023 at 6:55 PM, Hawkman said:

Not quite as good as the first, but still an excellent movie. Mostly female cast means there will be negative reviews just because it's a mostly female cast, not because the movie wasn't good.

I'm sure you're right - but that seems to be a limited argument to make. All the actors were great in the film, it just didn't have the compelling action and story of the first one. I've watched Black Panther several times over, I doubt I will watch this one again - which is a shame because I really liked the whole Wakanda Universe they were setting up in the first film, and it seems like they may not have a chance to keep expanding. I thought that was the most compelling part of Black Panther: the cultural universe it was creating.

My biggest complaint was Namor not being as big of a jerk as he is in the comics - I really wanted to see that.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 2/15/2023 at 8:55 PM, Hawkman said:

Not quite as good as the first, but still an excellent movie. Mostly female cast means there will be negative reviews just because it's a mostly female cast, not because the movie wasn't good.

I'm sure you're right - but that seems to be a limited argument to make. All the actors were great in the film, it just didn't have the compelling action and story of the first one. I've watched Black Panther several times over, I doubt I will watch this one again - which is a shame because I really liked the whole Wakanda Universe they were setting up in the first film, and it seems like they may not have a chance to keep expanding. I thought that was the most compelling part of Black Panther: the cultural universe it was creating.

My biggest complaint was Namor not being as big of a jerk as he is in the comics - I really wanted to see that.

Streaming it now on Disney .... it's funny how I subconsciously felt the need to lower my expectations based on "reviews", but here I am liking it so far .... "not because of the dangerous nature of vibranium, but the dangerous nature of YOU." :golfclap: GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, rexinnih said:

Did a repeat viewing on this one and felt it didn't really improve on a second viewing. Still bought the BB Steelbook to keep the OCD collection intact but not sure if one for repeated viewing. 

Ha, I haven't watched it yet despite having Disney+, but I too have the OCD thing making me continue to buy the Best Buy Steelbooks despite my dissatisfaction with most of the films from Phase IV.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Consoomerism is why Disney barely gets the hint. If you keep buying their stuff, how are they going to know exactly how bad it is?

Apparently, the toy sales and merchandise side of things has taken a massive hit. The Phase 4 stuff is not selling.

Disney knows stuff is way down, but it is very hard to course correct when so many decisions have been made, and these things are in various stages of production already.   There is likely a little bit of denial also.  Things have been working so well for so long, and I am not sure they know what to correct, or where they went wrong. They may be thinking, our approach has not changed but it is not working, so they are confused. It is the proverbial turning the ship around problem, it takes time. 

Edited by drotto

I didn't care for the movie.  I knew nothing about it other than the star from the first movie died.  I wasn't expecting Namor, and liked his role well enough, but overall the movie was dumb and not very good. 

On 3/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Consoomerism is why Disney barely gets the hint. If you keep buying their stuff, how are they going to know exactly how bad it is?

ImpossibleHandyFugu-max-1mb.gif.09203a81cd3f78b8f8fbad8a6ef161a9.gif