• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2022 at 11:27 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I thought the movie was decent. I'm glad I watched it. I don't have a desire to see it again. Wakanda Forever was a fine installment to keep the MCU moving along.

I still haven't seen it. I think I'll wait for streaming. 

How did you like Namor?

On 12/21/2022 at 7:20 AM, KingOfRulers said:

Yep, that was a common tale. Wasn't that so much freakin' fun? I wonder how many of us have seen any recent MCU films multiple times in theaters. Probably not many. I can't even recall the last MCU installment, I saw more than once. In the early MCU days, I was seeing every movie at midnight. I was in my early and mid-20's from Iron Man to Avengers, so I was one of the people in line with my friends to see all of those formative MCU movies right when they hit theaters. We were counting down the days like a little kid before Christmas or their birthday. I didn't see Black Panther 2 until last weekend, and at that point the movie had been out for just over one month. :eek: 

I miss that level of wild excitement. I long for it. I took it for granted at the time, but that was an amazing time for our hobby and cinema. We're still living in the superhero era, of which there's still much to be thankful for. But it's sad to think that we're on the backend of the era. I hope Disney can find a way to recapture that lightning in a bottle. I just don't know how they'll do it. If Disney brought me in as a consultant and asked me, "How would you recapture that MCU magic?", I suppose I'd suggest Secret Wars, but honestly, I don't even think that would do the trick. I think the culture at-large is in a, "been there, done that" mindset with superheroes at this point.

I would change several things but to start:

1. less content. Make fewer movies and fewer shows a year and improve the writing, the quality. Ensure your audience is emotionally invested in what happens which is why Spider-man No Way Home worked.

2. The characters. Lead with A list, not C list/ D list and absolutely must make sure the characters stay true to who they are. ( the fans don't want to see the heroes they love turned into females or stray significantly from who they normally are )

On 12/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, TupennyConan said:

I still haven't seen it. I think I'll wait for streaming. 

How did you like Namor?

I nearly made that same decision. Like a martyr, I decided to support the MCU ticket sales.

I like what they did with Namor. The mythos was completely different than it is in the comics, which I tend to frown upon. Discounting the distaste of such a huge change in origin, I enjoyed the character's look, attitude, powers, and backstory. While the backstory mythos was completely different, it hit the same notes as the comics with him being a stuck-up grouch, and his hatred of surface dwellers. I'm not a Namor fanboy, so I was able to get past the changes. I've never read a Sub-Mariner book. I only know the character from appearances in other titles, such as Avengers. Someone who is more emotionally connected to the character might not be as accepting.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I nearly made that same decision. Like a martyr, I decided to support the MCU ticket sales.

The theater is a great place for naps. 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:56 PM, paperheart said:

yeah, more a sad commentary on the state of US BO that it's still #3 than that it's going great guns

And a massive $550 million decrease from the first film. Lots of arguments on where the break even was for this movie. But, so many had sworn this movie would be right around 1 billion, so barely getting to $800 million (while a ton of money) is kind of an embarrassment.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, drotto said:

And a massive $550 million decrease from the first film. Lots of arguments on where the break even was for this movie. But, so many had sworn this movie would be right around 1 billion, so barely getting to $800 million (while a ton of money) is kind of an embarrassment.

...as is Ryan coogler running around practically begging Disney to be allowed to keep ruining this franchise after such a disastrous (and predictable) drop in revenues after making so many dumb, snap creative decisions based purely on emotion.  We get it , you're really sad your actor friend passed away.  Maybe instead of doing whatever this was supposed to be, don't make a movie for a few more years, then recast and produce a nice retrospective for Chadwick for Disney+ when releasing the second one.  Or, better yet , Feige could have just taken Coogler off the franchise altogether, and reboot with a new creative team and a recast. 

And that 550M is more like a 600M dollar swing to the negative when you factor in its larger production budget.  

A 250M dollar group therapy session that really shouldn't have made even 600M, but this and avatar 2 are the only tentpoles for literally three+ months, so it continues to hang on in theaters with a few million coming in here and there, even though little of it is actually going back to Disney at this late stage of its release. 

-J.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:06 PM, Jaydogrules said:

...as is Ryan coogler running around practically begging Disney to be allowed to keep ruining this franchise after such a disastrous (and predictable) drop in revenues after making so many dumb, snap creative decisions based purely on emotion.  We get it , you're really sad your actor friend passed away.  Maybe instead of doing whatever this was supposed to be, don't make a movie for a few more years, then recast and produce a nice retrospective for Chadwick for Disney+ when releasing the second one.  Or, better yet , Feige could have just taken Coogler off the franchise altogether, and reboot with a new creative team and a recast. 

And that 550M is more like a 600M dollar swing to the negative when you factor in its larger production budget.  

A 250M dollar group therapy session that really shouldn't have made even 600M, but this and avatar 2 are the only tentpoles for literally three+ months, so it continues to hang on in theaters with a few million coming in here and there, even though little of it is actually going back to Disney at this late stage of its release. 

-J.

I'd love to see Coogler escape the MCU and go make important movies ala Fruitvale Station

On 1/1/2023 at 9:48 AM, paperheart said:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

image.png.f06c8b814d2afadd4c965c2c4e96f250.png

🤣 30 million under venom at 2.5 times the budget with FOUR holiday weekends to its benefit and 0 competition of any kind for half its run.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jaydogrules said:

🤣 30 million under venom at 2.5 times the budget with FOUR holiday weekends to its benefit and 0 competition of any kind for half its run.  

-J.

didn't Venom do $270M in China? the BP2 # is lame but will probably look like a gold mine compared to the 2023 MCU movies